Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A ball, a Ice Creeper and a "Pill" (Cannonball) "PENOBSCOT EXPEDITION"

Hey folks hope all of u r staying safe and healthy. Sunday was a good day for a hunt at my site . Started early re hunting old hot spots with nothing to show for 5 hours of swinging the coil. Not unusual now since in 23 years, now 24th, picking are slim but still work the heat, Maine bird, the mosquito, and loads of ticks . Finally got a good reading and pulled out a dropped musket ball. So no skunk this day. Three feet away I get an iron reading on my Deus that was solid. Pulled out what I consider for iron a rare ice creeper. Few know little about this little relic that was made to go on the soldier's shoe and worn in the Winter and Spring months. Made by blacksmiths from one piece of iron. 4 corners bent over to make spiked legs then holes in the sides for leather with buckles . In the logging days they used them on the river logs. Hikers today still use this simple item. This one being from a soldier of the 74th Regt of Foot and a rarely lost and a great find. made my day after 5 hours of hunting in the deep woods. Last our headed back to the site where this year and last pulled out 8 of 11 cannon balls. Got close to a rock wall and got an 8 reading. Out can a 1 pounder American cannonball. It is interesting to note the Brits wrote in their journal and firing what they called pills. A real surprise to find the small ones like this as a grapeshot stand of 30 smaller balls were more effective. Was a good days hunt . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN4537.JPG
    DSCN4537.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN4538.JPG
    DSCN4538.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN4495.JPG
    DSCN4495.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN4536.JPG
    DSCN4536.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN2149.JPG
    DSCN2149.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • DSCN4535.JPG
    DSCN4535.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4064.JPG
    DSCN4064.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Upvote 20

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds. Congratulations.
I always wondered what they did to keep from sliding around in the winter months.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic finds and excellent background on them. Thank you for posting! :icon_thumleft:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post and some very interesting finds. Congrats on a great day out.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes pickings may be slim at my site now but still the dream of finding a cannon ball, button , shoe buckle or on occation a button is with me each time my Deus tells me dig it. By the way now u know know what an ice creeper is and if u have ever hunted a Rev War site and have a junk box maybe good to look and see if one might be in there. This may be my last year to hunt and hope one last cannon ball comes under my coil. Happy hunting.g

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've definitely not ever heard of an ice creeper. That is pretty amazing! Can you imagine how tough it must have been to wear those and have boots that probably didn't stay dry for too long in the wet snow? It must have been really rough for them. Excellent finds and bravo on the nice cannon ball and musket ball!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Castineman1779, what is that relic that looks like a broken dumb bell. I have found them and never knew what they were.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup up here in Maine there was much logging in the early 20th century. They used them when moving logs around on the rivers. Rev War ice creepers were made in different sizes and some fitted to the size of the soldier's boot. In April of 2010 when doing recon at the old fort , before my Spring hunt, fell backwoods on the ice and wish had they then. Winter and Spring months. Soldiers were on some kind of duty and we're essential. G

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The dumbbell looking relics are a rare form of ordnance called a "barshot" . Mainly used in Naval battles to take down ships' rigging. Mine is from a 6 pounder cannon, American used but were made by the Spanish and probably sold to the American's. Used against land troops. The only site I know of where these 5 sided shots were used. Rare as such. Gary

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, the ones I have are round and came from logging sites. They must have been used for some other purpose. Only trouble is, I don't know where I put them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary,
Great finds and write-up. When I see a post from you, it gets opened and read immediately. If not for your posts (and a few others), I might not bother with tnet.

Love the ice creeper. When I did ice fishing in MA, I wore either hockey skates or creepers. Skates were faster but creepers were much easier once I got to the hole in the ice. But some designs were uncomfortable with some soft soles - such as the old LLBean Maine hunting boots (still have a pair I bought at the Freeport store in 1969). Of course, comfort was never a high priority for soldiers, revolutionary war or not.

Congrats on those finds and thank you for taking the time to share the images along with your usual thoughtful write-up.

Best to you, R

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks my old friend. I always enjoy reading your comments on other post as well. Not sure u saw the post called Revolutionary War Gold a sniper i posted the article wrote and published in Western Eastern Treasures in April. Doubt many want to read a long one like that but u would. Most want a quicke . I think now on page 3 now. Yes there r some posts on here like finding a crow bar on the side of the road that makes me scratch my head. Probably more jelious since got more commments than mine. Lol. G

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always enjoy your posts! Another fine hunt sir!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That ice creeper is an outstanding relic.
Congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relics! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread