Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear with me as I need to figure out how to post pictures to this particular forum, but today was a treat.

Some may know that I am brand new to detecting and just received my detector over the weekend...haven't even tried it out yet. I live in a home built in 1860 by the railroad here in the Midwest and have been interested in hunting my property while at the same time trying to keep my expectations very low to avoid any discouragement.

Well, today i was just edging the yard along the sidewalk, no detector useage. At about 2 inches out popped what I thought was a Canadian dime. I pocketed it and moved on. I took a look at it over dinner and discovered that it wasn't Canadian at all....it was a Barber Dime dated 1905 (big "O" mint mark). It has a couple of chips on the back, but was otherwise in very nice condition.

That was just 2 inches down and discovered with a lawn edger...have to say I am a bit excited to get hunting.

Upvote 11
OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dime 014.jpg

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the nice Barber. Just think what you will find with the detector. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice Barber. Just think what you will find with the detector. Good luck and happy hunting.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas actually. Just taking some time to learn the detector before I attack....well, that and a day off. The hunt looks to be on this weekend thanks to the holiday.

i also located the remnants of the old outhouse and clothes lines, so I think i will know where to start.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that’s the first thing out of your yard, there’s more to come.

Don’t stopped pounding your yard until you got somewhere better to detect :occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you found that with an edger imagine what you could do with a back hoe!? Its just your lawn it will all grow back some day! Very nice incidental find there!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd put that edger away, and get the detector out ! Nice looking Barber dime.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congrats on the Barber. Cool way to find one, thats for sure.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the rest of the yard!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas actually. Just taking some time to learn the detector before I attack....well, that and a day off. The hunt looks to be on this weekend thanks to the holiday.

i also located the remnants of the old outhouse and clothes lines, so I think i will know where to start.

Well done on the Barber, it might be a fluke-then agin your yard might be your best friend for many enjoyable hours.

Most homes had an outhouse-and that being said they only lasted a certain amount of time-then another had to be dug.
So you might very well have a few on the property, and outhouses hide lots of secrets.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Barber dime! :occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done on the Barber, it might be a fluke-then agin your yard might be your best friend for many enjoyable hours.

Most homes had an outhouse-and that being said they only lasted a certain amount of time-then another had to be dug.
So you might very well have a few on the property, and outhouses hide lots of secrets.

They sure do. Growing up on in that old renovated country schoolhouse back in the '70's, we had a visitor show up with a metal detector. He asked me and my brothers if he could use it on the outhouse foundation that he spotted about 90 feet from the schoolhouse. His detector was huge and heavy, but away he went. Two hours later he had half a bucket full of stuff from coins, pocket knives, axe heads, bottles, etc.

My Father wasn't real happy to see a stranger digging in the yard and scolded us for giving permission prior to telling the stranger to never come around again. He was allowed to keep the bucket of stuff though.

That is going to be the second hunt target after my home. I still remember where the outhouses were, the playground area, etc. so it might be a good site to detect on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread