Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Made it back to my site on the 4th with a mission to find just one more canon ball on this special day. Also wanted to see if my flags I had planted the day before were still flying. So did the 20 minute walk towards "Trask Rock" to hunt the beach and above high ground where much artillery ord had been found over the years . Much of it to include the 1772 gold guinea had been found last May highlighted in previous posts. . Pulled out one lowly grape but happy to see there was still one to be found. Those were all American fired from ships on the 28th of July 1779. Next made my way to the beach and happy to see all three flags were flying in a light breeze. There are many iron bars not from the period all over the beach so decided to did each target. After the 4th one came out got a good iron reading for a canon ball. However what came up was a rare section of a rare bar shot that had 5 sections to it. When put together and fired from a ship's cannon acted like a bar shot to destroy rigging. This piece fell short and was fired on the Brits. 240 years later the sea salt had taken it's toll on it with much iron loss. Another 20 years it would be gone. A great relic find this day. Put in another hour on the beach but nothing more . So up the hill I climbed as the patriots did under fire. In a journal one Patriot wrote" They fired balls at us that rained down upon us like "hail Stones." At the top just before reaching the trail got a nice solid 89 on my Deus. Usually a musket or pistol ball. Out came a rare large lead ball from a cannister shot. "Cannister Shot" is a large tin can filled with lead balls and fired from a cannon against land troops. Have found about 10 of these over the years and all from this one small area. Sending up a pic of one.Having a great day with 3 keepers in 3 hours. Next 1 hour all is quiet on the Deus and then a 8 on the screen. After finding 12 cannon balls in the last two years I knew the probability was good this was another. 10 inches down in wet ground uncovered that familiar site of round iron. Up came a four pounder. The 4th turned out to be a number of 4s. Hunted on day 4, 4th of July Independence Day and 4 relics in little over 4 hours. Got it home for a light cleaning and was an American as were the other 3 relics. Keep swinging my friends. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN4444.JPG
    DSCN4444.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCN4460.JPG
    DSCN4460.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3902.JPG
    DSCN3902.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN4443.JPG
    DSCN4443.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCN4554.JPG
    DSCN4554.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN4555.JPG
    DSCN4555.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN4516.JPG
    DSCN4516.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2149.JPG
    DSCN2149.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • DSCN4541.JPG
    DSCN4541.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 15

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite the day for a Holiday! Glad you got out and did well!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relics! :occasion14:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always enjoy reading your posts Castineman1779! What a great site to unearth history. Congrats on your continuing finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread