Found These Artifacts Today - In My Mailbox

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently gave two of my eastern Long Island, NY detecting finds to a researcher\author who is writing a guidebook on gilt merchant flat buttons in North America. My two examples were from NYC Dry Goods Stores between 1820-1830, most likely connected to provisioning ships operating out of the fourth largest whaling port. One example he had not seen before. I didn't want to sell them, being totally happy to freely contribute to historical research and receiving citations in the book.

Instead he sent me these gifts. The brass buckle is from a 1700's New Hampshire estate of American manufacture. My seven buckles to date are dug so it is great to see one in its entirety with original luster. The NYS National Guard and Militia US Civil War Era buttons include a small UCC, a Utica Citizen's Corps (Alberts NY-90) which became the 14th NY in the Civil War.

Metal Detecting is about finding things and making new friends.

tres111.jpg tres112.jpg

Upvote 20
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A very nice surprise, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story about helping someone with their research and making a new friend! :icon_thumleft:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good deal for both of you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread