Third Times the Charm for Finding Fort site.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Third Time's the Charm for Finding Fort site.

I've been doing some research on and off about an old Military Fort that was supposed to be close to my house. I went out to the area with my kids several weeks ago and wandered around. We found a clearing a little over a half mile from the road, didn’t see any diggings like some of the information I had read (From previous relic hunters). The only information I found was that I as probably going to need a machete to get into the wooded area.

I visited again with just my daughter armed with new information that the fort was about 1000 feet South of where I had been earlier. We traipsed through the woods, having to zig zag to avoid the HUGE crab spider webs between trees. We did find a likely looking place, complete with a small ravine and, of course, a pile of tires.

After studying all the maps I had, along with topo maps and maps of old dirt roads, I found that the information I had received from a book was wrong, the fort was actually about 500 feet North of my first stop. I went there today and cut through the woods to try and find the spot. The site does have some areas dug up, but it has been harvested for pine trees and replanted, maybe multiple times. Took me almost an hour to find it.

I got some signals and dug up a few rusted pieces of metal. I then got a huge signal and found this piece of iron pictured below (It is posted in What’ This? As well) By then, I was getting attacked by flies and getting pretty sweaty. I knew it was only a matter of time before the black biting flies found me. I took a look at my compass and made a bee line for the road, to see where I came out, so I would have a shorter return trip. Once I could see the road, I found a path that led through the brush, but there was a giant crab spider with a web right across the path. These spiders are so big that it makes me nervous to even be close to them. I walked up about 20 yards and found another cut through that brought me out next to the road. I found two landmarks that will get me back in at approximately the same location for when I go back. Maybe next weekend!

Here is the fort site, not much to look at I'm afraid:

Attachments

• fortfind6a.jpg
    fortfind6a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,616
  • fortfind6a.jpg
    fortfind6a.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,620
  • fort5.jpg
    fort5.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,648
  • fort4.jpg
    fort4.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,662
  • fort3.jpg
    fort3.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,669
  • fort2.jpg
    fort2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 1,665
  • fort1.jpg
    fort1.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,675
Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Third Time's the Charm for Finding Fort site.

Some nice detect-ive work there ::) That chunk may just be from the base of the fort commanders chair - you never know - good luck on your hunt.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Nice work. As long as you have the site down now,it shouldnt be long before you start finding some stuff. Cant wait to see what you pull out of there.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

what no pic's of the spiders, definitely waiting to see what you find, know idea on you find, how was it orientated in the ground

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

An easy way to make sure you don't "lose" a good spot is a Garmin Etrex GPS . they are fairly cheap and you can map out the best way back to a spot with on and then you can return to within a few feet of where you found some good stuff.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this what you mean by crab spider?

114_1484_small.jpg 114_1489.jpg

I can't offer any info. on the iron object. I can only wish you good luck on searching this site and I hope you find some good relics in the future.

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70

Good post about all the research you put into this project. Sometimes the research is more fun than the MDing. I'm sure there is more to find. Good luck.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a fun adventure just finding the place! That hunk of iron looks like a portable anvil from a blacksmith. HH and good luck getting back, Mike

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi,

I will take some pics of the spiders on the next trip, the ones on the web do not show how intimidating they look in person with a web the size of a small breakfast table.

They are not poisonous.

Attachments

• giantcrab.jpg
    giantcrab.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,240

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Ain't much that gives me the heebie-geebies, but a spider that size crawling up the back of my neck might do the trick !

Stuff like that makes me glad I live in the great white north !

Diggem'

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.

That spider reminds me of the Huntsman spider of Australia.

I can't wait to see what you find at the fort. What kind of fort are we talking about - Civil War, old Spanish, etc?

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe the spider goes under many names around the world, huntsman, banana etc. Some people like them because they eat roaches, but I'll take the roaches thanks. Raid takes care of them.

The fort was built around 1840, so Second Seminole war era. History on the fort is sketchy, some think it may have only had real military in it for a short time, the rest of the time it may have been volunteer militia.

Most of the digging supposedly was during the 70's when there was a local archeologist interested in the site. Guess they never really found anything that made them very excited about the site.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Looks like you did some good research, that should make the finds that much more appreciated. Good luck out there.
HH
Glenn

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes

If that archaeologist was affiliated with a local university the chances are he did a report and should still be on file at the university.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

We have called them banana spiders all my life, but they are Golden Web spiders. TheY get about 6" wide. They do bite, its like a wasp sting. Jack, great research! I hope you find something worth your while!

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II

JackInFlorida said:
Hi,

I will take some pics of the spiders on the next trip, the ones on the web do not show how intimidating they look in person with a web the size of a small breakfast table.

They are not poisonous.
I'll see your spider and raise you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread