1908 Barber Half + Holed Matron Head

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, what a day and week. Let me start from one week ago Saturday, because it all ties in and plays a role. First, if you recall, Earthworks and I found 8 large cents in a small area last Saturday. I haven't posted since then so let me catch you up. Yes, of course I went the next day! It's just around the corner from my house and I couldn't stay away, but I only ended up having about an hour of light and I didn't find anything...I felt a little like a childhood actor who had peaked too early in life and anything after 8 large cents was going to be depressing anyway. But, I did get permission at a colonial era house across the street from the 8 large cent site and so during the week I got a free hour and a half and went over there and...drum roll,,,hit this Matron Head cent with a hole for safe keeping (so much for that person's plan). First coin I've found with a hole in it. Fast forward to today, Earthworks and I and his brother Wayne get up early and we decide to head to the old horse race track (open in the early 1900s for 20 years). I know that everyone else probably wanted to go to the 8 large cent site, but I was feeling the mojo, so off we went. We hit some wheats, and Wayne found a really cool buckle I won't say too much about since he'll want to post it, but it relates very much to the site. Other than that, we weren't having much luck and so we decided to go to the 8 large cent site. Earthworks is already at the car and I'm doing my last bit of detecting then get to the car and there are some guys doing leaf blowing. I ask "who owns that area" -- it's in a perfect spot right next to the track. He said the town owns it, it's not posted, so I tell the guys, let's go...I don't think anyone was really up for it, but I said 10 minutes if nobody finds anything we leave. Ok, off we go. We had almost gotten in the car remember...I go around for about 5 minutes then get this great signal..dig, dig, dig...silver! I see the back of a barber coin and just feel the size of it I yell (HALF! -- nobody hears, me they have on headphones)...I start sprinting across the field to where Earthworks..."look, dude, Barber Half, 1908!" -- niiiiice! He gives me the fist bump five, we celebrate, then I sprint back across to Wayne.."Barber Half!!!!' -- again, more congrats. We stay another 15 minutes (Wayne finds a cool old toy truck) and decide to hit the large cent site because we have to be back that way anyway (but I could have stayed there at Barber Track, but no biggie). So we drive the half hour to the 8 large site. I didn't find anything there but Wayne did, so I will let him post that... Thanks to Earthworks for the great photos below, including the track and coins. Great day of fun today. (Some photos posted in second post below...post was too large)

Attachments

• matronhole.jpg
    matronhole.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 529
  • trackBarber.jpg
    trackBarber.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 527
  • trackbarberback.jpg
    trackbarberback.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
More photos -- the track

Attachments

• track002.jpg
    track002.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 527
  • track001_edited-1.jpg
    track001_edited-1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 472

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Nice dig, I can't wait to get another silver half !! Next time save your legs, and huck dirt clods at 'em, that always gets MY attention.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bergie. A largie and a half. ;D Any luck on the date of that Coronet? Cant see it in the picture.

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Nice holed largey, fellow John Walter-style detectorist. :D Way to go, boy-gie.

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY sweet finds! That Barber have must have sounded real nice :)

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
WTG Bergie!! ;D Looks like 2 heart-attacks this weekend...glad you survived to tell the tale! :o :D

Absolutely awesome...thanks for sharing!
Hank 8)

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
NICE FINDS BERGIE,

EITHER ONE OF THOSE COINS MAKES A GREAT OUTING

HH JER

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Wow, great story and a 1908 Barber Half - that was a lot of money back then!Outstanding find! I've yet to dig a half dollar. I came only imagine the thrill of coming up with that big piece of silver. Needless to say, you gotta get back there. Also have you hunted in those woods that surround the track? I would.

PACO

Apr 1, 2007
Williamsport PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW BERGIE, TWO BIG COINS , WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR....... GREAT DAY. PACO , BONE DRY DETECTING.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread