Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old pre-1906 patent medicine bottle in the low tide mud of The Bronx today.
It is Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root Kidney Liver and Bladder Cure. The medicine was formulated by Dr. S. Andral Kilmer in 1878 but was predominantly sold by Dr. Willis Sharpe Kilmer, his nephew.
Screenshot_20200719-200313_Video Player.jpg
20200719_211550.jpg
According to Dr. Kilmer's advertisements this Swamp Root stuff bassically cured everything. It didn't actually cure anything but that didn't stop Willis Kilmer from makeing a personal fortune of close to 15 million dollars selling it. The medicine fell out of favor begining in 1906 when the Pure Food and Drug Act required medicine to be tested to see if it actually worked or not, the test results for the Swamp Root Cure were needless to say not too convincing.
8557196403_49d8d42f7e_z.jpg books.png

Upvote 24

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
This is one of my favorite quack medicine bottles. I'm sure the magic ingredient wasn't a swamp root - it was probably 50 % alcohol.

Go to church on Sunday and preach temperance... then come home and take your dose of Dr. Kilmer's. Doctor's orders! :laughing7:

When I lived in Lubbock, TX, one of my neighbors showed me her antique bottles. To my surprise, this exact bottle was in there. It turns out that it migrated all the way across the country with her family as they moved from the northeast to Arkansas, and eventually, west Texas. I really got a kick out of it because it originated in the Binghamton, NY area, not too far from where I grew up.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's awesome! I'm going mud hunting myself later today.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was also in 1906 that the FDA made them change the wording from cure to remedy if the contents could not be proved to be a true cure.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 later editions 102_0927.JPG 102_0928.JPG . They were still producing this stuff after going to screw top bottles.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle recovery, great post with the history of Dr. Kilmer, and respect for searching in a river off the Bronx in New York City. Is that the East River?

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of my favorite quack medicine bottles. I'm sure the magic ingredient wasn't a swamp root - it was probably 50 % alcohol.

Go to church on Sunday and preach temperance... then come home and take your dose of Dr. Kilmer's. Doctor's orders! :laughing7:

When I lived in Lubbock, TX, one of my neighbors showed me her antique bottles. To my surprise, this exact bottle was in there. It turns out that it migrated all the way across the country with her family as they moved from the northeast to Arkansas, and eventually, west Texas. I really got a kick out of it because it originated in the Binghamton, NY area, not too far from where I grew up.

I have done a large amount of research on my family history and their journey from Europe to middle America Many came here in the name of religious freedom .But for some that only applied when it was to their benefit

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle recovery, great post with the history of Dr. Kilmer, and respect for searching in a river off the Bronx in New York City. Is that the East River?

It was in the Hutchinson River. My grandpa used to live there when the Bronx was mostly rural farm land. He told me stories about the area so I decided to investigate it for myself. I found a few broken bottles and crocks from the late 1800's along with the quak Swamp Root Cure bottle which was the only intact vintage bottle I found that day.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That just may be the coolest bottle I have seen yet. Probably sold at the back of a horse drawn caravan too lol. Great find !

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions