More Buttons from the Farm! (another Dandy?)

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone! I returned to that farm in my town today, and this time my teenage son came with me (which was awesome)!

Together we found two more buttons, and I think one of them is another Dandy. (My first ever Dandy was described in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...utton-dandy-other-interesting-farm-finds.html)

As you'll notice when looking at the button on the left in the pictures below this (suspected) Dandy is 30mm diameter, while my previous one (from the other post) was 35mm. Both of those large buttons were found within 20 feet of each other in a field that used to have a very old home on it. I talked with one of the farm's owner's family members today and she explained that there was a house there in the 1700's (I could only find maps back to the mid 1800's, and the house was on those).
From what you've taught me before I believe this button dates to the 1750-1790 timeframe like the other. Note on the front that there appears to be some of the original green color remaining.

The button on the right is 25mm in diameter, and the words clearly say "Treble Plate Stand D Colour" on the back. Yes it says Plate (I've found other buttons that say "Gilt" but this one does not say that.
Does anyone have any information on this button? From reading past posts about similar wording it seems that these buttons date to the early 1800's, but the word "Plate" seems to be unusual, and 25mm is larger than the smaller 15mm and 20mm buttons I've been finding on this site. Any info is welcome.

I took an extra picture of the 25mm button because some of the 3-layers of gold "Plate" are still on the button, and it shines in the light! That's so beautiful and I can't believe it's still on there after 200 years!

Final note: we also found a Large Cent during the same 60-minute search, but its condition is poor. I can read "One Cent" on the back, but the front is very bad and getting a date will be unlikely. But I have it in hydrogen peroxide now and we'll see what it looks like later. I'll update when I take pictures.

Xu1Va8M.jpg
4zSf3tR.jpg

9IFZXXZ.jpg

Upvote 10
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice button finds! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on the Large Cent: it appears to be a Draped Bust Large Cent (1796-1807) based on the reverse, which is somewhat visible below:

3HWUPEY.jpg

I've circled the two areas on the reverse that I think indicate this is a Draped Bust LC:
- the red shows the unique shape of the wreath, especially visible on the right side
- the blue shows the unique bow shape on the Draped Bust LC (I think).
xWX4EpD.jpg

The obverse is so toasty I cannot tell corrosion from actual coin.
Here's what it looked like after just a little hydrogen peroxide.
JfAW90f.jpg

Using a trick one of you awesome TNet folks taught me I used a touch of oil to try to bring out the Draped Bust, and I think I got it:
51uCOhT.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Here's a perfect Draped Bust for reference:
PWdg3PY.jpg (image source: https://www.numismaticnews.net/article/collect-all-17-u-s-cent-types)

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes another Dandy

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds Brian, detecting with your son is a memory you'll always cherish! :thumbsup:
My daughter is 17 now, I remember the first time she came detecting with me, she was 8... she wouldn't get out of the truck because of the bugs. :laughing7:

The 'Dandy' and the Draped Bust LC are sweet finds, that's a good indication of the age of the site you're on.
Dave

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - if you're still watching this thread I'd appreciate some help on this latest button find.

My son and I returned to the farm today briefly. The back-story is that I'm trying to detect this farm field in a systematic way, using rows of pumpkins as my guide. Yesterday my search with my son was cut short and we didn't get to finish about 20 feet of one of the rows, so we stopped by there today for literally 10 minutes to make sure we didn't miss anything.
Well, we missed this button.
It's a little different than the others I've found so far. This one is about 28mm in diameter and it's curved, not flat. Plus it has that simple design on the front (a braided ring of some sort). There's a scratch in the middle of the ring; it doesn't have any other designs.

Can you offer any thoughts on this type of button and its age please?

cIEwBBl.jpg
Vdc28LO.jpg

The buttons from the past few days together (new one is 3rd from left with front showing):
D038GTG.jpg

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brianc053,

Could you post some better detailed pictures, this button could be very interesting. I will let the experts chime in. Recommend not cleaning it at this time. Did a little editing, I fired my first post off fast to highlight waiting before attempting any cleaning until a couple of the Revolutionary War era experts could take a look at the button.

Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brianc053,

Could you post some better detailed pictures, this button could be very interesting. I will let the experts chime in. Recommend not cleaning it at this time. Did a little editing, I fired my first post off fast to highlight waiting before attempting any cleaning until a couple of the Revolutionary War era experts could take a look at the button.

Good luck with your hunts. Walt
Thank you for the input Walt.
In response to your request I went outside in the natural light and did the best I could to capture some more detail, including taking pictures through a magnifying glass.
I hope this helps. Any feedback/input/questions are welcome.

nAoobzH.jpg EqRrVu1.jpg

V0URGEJ.jpg PToy7s4.jpg

O7DCuz8.jpg
g3olwDM.jpg
O7DCuz8.jpg
UwnSfyY.jpg

JthvMgz.jpg
34BCVH0.jpg

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brian,

Thank you for the additional pictures. It is still difficult to see a lot of the button’s details. One of the reasons I recommended holding off on the additional cleaning and asked for more detailed pictures was the button looked a little like some of the GW buttons - particularly the middle circle with what looks to be lettering in the middle - I know, wishful thinking. Your coin find, age of the property, and location all point to a detecting site with some promise.

Hopefully some of the Revolutionary War era experts here can take a look at it and provide their thoughts.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions