Silver spoon, Barbers, SLQ and 1700s pocket spill (?)

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent some time from Saturday to today checking out public use areas close to some of the old villages here in Western Mass, it's getting so our local favorite spots are pretty dried up and we've been looking a little further out. Luckily there's a lot of woods and history here.

Went out with SecondStar, ACOJoe, and Pittscop631 Saturday where I had great luck last month with 2 reales and several old coppers. Mike found a beauty King George (see his post) and I managed two random Barber dimes in a big flat spot near the stream:

fullsizeoutput_1bfa.jpeg

Yesterday I went a little further south and found a nice wooded park behind the main street, right off the bat found a SLQ, followed by a sterling spoon (with Indian Head hallmark), then nothing decent for over an hour, until I was "headed back to the car" (which is sometimes the ticket if you say it out loud) and dug a no date large, looks like a Draped (?):

fullsizeoutput_1bfb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1be8.jpeg

IMG_3575.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1bfc.jpeg

Today I headed back but stayed a little north of the village. There's a lake close by and I figured the woods, which are also open to the public, might be a good place to start. About three hours later I had only found two large flat buttons. I decided to "head back to the car," lo and behold found three coppers in a two-foot radius, not sure if it's a pocket spill or a coincidence just because the big difference in the dates:

fullsizeoutput_1c03.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c01.jpeg

The crusty one looks like it might be a CT, I'll try to get some of that off but I can already tell the corrosion is pretty deeply set in. Here are the buttons and two locks I found:

fullsizeoutput_1bf4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c05.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c07.jpeg

Thanks for looking and HH,
Steve

Upvote 44

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a couple of great hunts! Love the Barbers, and those coppers are in great shape. I am starting to think I live in the wrong part of Massachusetts. Happy Hunting.

From where I sit, here in the Midwest, there are no "wrong parts" of Mass. You guys have more history in the ground than about anywhere else in the country. I'm not the only one that's envious! Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... fantastic finds - congrats !

New England's my favorite place to hunt !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, can't wait to see what you find there next!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent variety of finds there Steve. That is one heck of a nice batch of coins, and I like those padlocks.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice digs there Cheffer! I agree that is definitely a pocket spill. WIII in either century is a great find.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds- Congrats! I'm a huge fan and collector of SLQ's- your 1920 is in great shape, and BTW, that looks like a Liberty Cap LC to me too...

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 3rd copper is a William III! I can read the letters on the left and tell from the bust as well. Awesome to Get a William III, KG II, and KG III in a spill!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome old coin shooting and killer lock, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet digs! I haven found an SLQ in like 8 years I think. Good looking Barbers, I don't suppose there's an S mint mark on the 1903 hey?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread