My first silver in 44 years!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got back from visiting my son in Kansas late Monday night. Tonight was the first time I could get in a short hunt. I've been wanting to hit this middle school about 4 miles from my home, but just never got around to it, so tonight I figured I'd give it a shot. When I arrived at the school it was bustling with activity (what corona virus?)! There was a youth basketball squad practicing, and girls softball was being played opposite the basketball courts. The places I'd usually hunt had too many people. I was thinking of coming back at another time when I spotted a place that looked like maybe kids would congregate. There were 3 older redwood trees in the middle and benches lining the outskirts. It probably was no bigger than my backyard. So, rather than drive home empty handed, I decided I'd give it a go. At first there wasn't much, but as I continued swinging I managed to dig up a few clad coins, some token of sorts and a bit of trash. I decided to hit the base of the trees then call it a day. As I completed searching the second tree, I get a solid 21/22 on the Tarsacci. I wasn't sure if it was another clad quarter or maybe a bottle cap. The tone was a bit higher and stronger. At about 6 inches down, there she was. A 1964 GW Quarter! I got back into this hobby 3 months ago in hopes of finding older stuff. I've managed a couple of wheaties and a bunch of clad, but so far, no silver or gold. My last silver coin find was in 1976. My faith has been restored in humanity and all is well! Sorry for the poor quality of the picture. I have an older iPhone and it doesn't take as good a picture as it used to.

Today's Hunt (2).jpg Today's Hunt (1).jpg

Upvote 35

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atta boy! Sounds like a decent spot! Have fun getting back into the hobby

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be thrilled with that quarter. I hunted in the 80's and got out of the hobby. I've been hunting again now 2 yrs. and haven't found any silver yet. This fall I'm gonna get one! Gary

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your long-awaited silver! Definitely getting harder to find but if you follow this forum you can see that there's still plenty of treasure out there. Hope this is the beginning of a lucky streak for you

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had to wait a loooooong time for that beauty. Hope your next one is just around the corner. Congrats to you!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to the hobby, and congrats on that long overdue silver !

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Sweet 64...more in your pouch, soon! Grats and thanks for sharing.

HH ALL

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your instincts of where to hunt paid off. A good detectorist never loses that gift ! Nice find :)

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one heck of a story- talk about perseverance- Big Time Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CONGRATS! That is a nice piece of large silver! :icon_thumleft:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started detecting in the 60's . Finding silver was no big deal. Now, finding silver is a BIG deal!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread