Shallow Merc

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Hunted an open grassy area in a closed campground yesterday. Found one 1989 quarter on the surface, one 2001 nickel just under the surface, and about a dozen memorial cents at various depths, the oldest being 1969. And one 1941 Mercury dime at about two inches.
My guess would be a leftover from a club hunt but there is no club in my area. Nearest one is a hundred miles away.
With not many coins being in the area I'm sure it's been hit before. Although this campground is WELL off the beaten path. How somebody could have missed that dime seems impossible. It was pretty close to the parking area.
But I'll take it! Made the long drive a little easier to justify :-\

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth you found the merc at tells me someone dropped it in just the last few years. Just a thought or a guess at when it was lost.

Attachments

• cool.jpg
    cool.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 203
R

rvbvetter

Nice find! Always makes the ride home a little better.
Just a guess, but maybe, being near the parking. People ( i'm guilty of this to ) walked well into the park before their coil ever touched the ground. Don't know what it is that makes me think that the good stuff, only gets lost in the middle of the park, or nicest grass area in the park. I gotta work on that.
WTG! HH

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
nice merc!depth doesn't surpriseme.found 4 in a small area this year with the deepest being 2 in.This area has very hard ground.We have found a few around 3 in in the sod also.

peace,bigrig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread