Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you will go back and read cannonball's May 4th thread, you will see my comment, where I said, "I'm obsessed with finding a USA button."

Well, guess what?

Went out with mbcuce to a new spot. My machine was acting squirrelly, so we agreed to take turns with his. It's nicer anyway. As soon as one of us would find something "decent" we would hand over the detector and the other person would use the pointer. mbcuce found a plain flat button and handed me the Equinox. I got a good consistent signal and he retrieved it with the pointer. (Clearly, there is going to be some controversy concerning ownership, here.) Keep in mind, we have both been on a mission to find our first Continental Army Rev War button, so when he said "U S A" I didn't believe him and I almost didn't believe my eyes. Still can't believe it.

Together, we found some other interesting things on the same hunt.

usa1.jpg
usareverse.jpg
usasize.jpg
Would this size be a cuff button or coat button?

pn.jpg
Maybe a PN button? The size matches one that I already had, but this one is pretty rough.

tip1.jpg
Could this be a ramrod tip? The other end is solid, but it's pewter, which doesn't seem like the right material.

View attachment lockparts.jpg
I think these could be Civil War era lock parts. Not sure.

group1.jpg
Notice the crude projectile point at the bottom. There is no "good" stone down here, but Native Americans did make points from the soft sandstone found along our rivers.

Upvote 46

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya...you guys double teamed that one !! Nice work...congrats !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great looking USA button, a memory keeper for many moons.

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! It's scratched, but but now I need mbcuce to find one, so we don't have to fight over this one for the rest of our lives.

Don't worry, I'm drafting shared custody papers now.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree,that’s a beauty
Congrats

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Very nice.. What is a PN button?

Thanks,
G

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice.. What is a PN button?

Thanks,
G

G,

I'm not an expert on the PN buttons, but here's what I've gleaned:

They're coat-size pewter buttons, that are plain other than a raised "P" and "N" backmark. They seem to have their highest concentration in the lowcountry of SC, but have been found in neighboring states. Some have said that they are associated with Francis Marion's troops but others have found them on British Rev War campsites. When I found one earlier this year (pictured), VMI Digger shared that a couple of years ago a Tudor Rose button with the same backmark was found, suggesting that they date from the mid-18th century, maybe issued to British military. The one at the beginning of this thread was found about 30' from the USA button, but who knows if they are related.
pnbutton.jpg

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lost Signal
First congrats on an outstanding buton find. I understand in SC ground most butons and relics are not bothered by acid soil. Nicest USA to Be found I have seen. 2nd on the long asked questions about these P/N buttons who made them and what purpose.
I hope today can definitely tell u they are indeed no doubt Brit Navy. I do own the Tudor Rose buton u mentioned . It was found by Wess Thompson in the St Lawrence river near Wolfe Island. It is about 22 mm with a Tudor Rose on the face, full shank on the back with a "P" on one side of the shank and "N" on the other. In Troiani's button book, if u have it , on page, 19 is the Navy button with todos Rose and "Bond" backmark. Elieved to be dated 1748-1775. No doubt Pre war but still Rev War used. Here r some pics . The two large P/Ns ,one with shank and one without are indeed from your neck of the woods. Here r pics and hope this answers the questions of what they r. Sorry my pics came up upside down. Thanks Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1255.JPG
    IMG_1255.JPG
    507.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    506.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lost Signal
First congrats on an outstanding buton find. I understand in SC ground most butons and relics are not bothered by acid soil. Nicest USA to Be found I have seen. 2nd on the long asked questions about these P/N buttons who made them and what purpose.
I hope today can definitely tell u they are indeed no doubt Brit Navy. I do own the Tudor Rose buton u mentioned . It was found by Wess Thompson in the St Lawrence river near Wolfe Island. It is about 22 mm with a Tudor Rose on the face, full shank on the back with a "P" on one side of the shank and "N" on the other. In Troiani's button book, if u have it , on page, 19 is the Navy button with todos Rose and "Bond" backmark. Elieved to be dated 1748-1775. No doubt Pre war but still Rev War used. Here r some pics . The two large P/Ns ,one with shank and one without are indeed from your neck of the woods. Here r pics and hope this answers the questions of what they r. Sorry my pics came up upside down. Thanks Gary

Very Interesting. I hadnt seen that before. I wonder if the PN stands for Provincial Navy?

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
U r reading my brain as just thought that as well. Few Rev War buttons have backmarks. A few American like Clarke on Penn recessed buttons and only seen on the Naval buttons I put up. With the dash mark does not look look like a button makers name. Maybe others can weigh in . Congrats to u as well on thst hunt.gary

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary,

Now, this is going to sound made up, but I had just walked over to my brother's and borrowed his "Rev War Book." I was reading about the Tudor Rose buttons and decided to look at T-net on my phone, where I saw your post. Troiani's book was open in my lap. Crazy!

The mystery solved! And, it seems as though your button is exceedingly rare. Thank you very much for sharing!

This means that we found two military buttons that day.

IMG_2388.jpg

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yup just figured out what P/N stands for. British naval forces on the lake, Great Lakes were known as " Provincial Marines " established and controlled by the army . P/N - Provincial Marines. I think even Troiani would agree. There u go mystery solved. The Tudor Rose I have found by Wess Thompson and the ones that are plain are indeed Brit . Just typed in Provincial Marines as a guess and there it was. Yup very rare button now that we now know what they are and who used them. Research is great . Congrats on finding yours .they are not in Troiani's book by the way. Maybe now in the update some day. Spread the word .Gary

Last edited:

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats! Both buttons are awesome.

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Donnie B and partner
I got to tell u this being ided now , if my opinion is correct, is a big deal in the buton collecting community . Thanks to your partner nbcuse I do think the mystery is solved, USA was a great find but this button and I believe now ided is rarer . Seems to be lots found in SC and all I have seen the larger coat size. I think guys should start a new thread to help spread the word as for years the P N buton has been a mystery and I think could indeed be a candidate for a Banner. Of course the experts would need to agree probably first. Let me know if u do and will do a response with now what I just found out. By the way your partner deserve credit for helping me identify it. Did u or he find the PN?Kinda weird we both thought about the same time thst it could be Provincial Army. Let me know. This thread is old now as u know. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Donnie B and partner
I got to tell u this being ided now , if my opinion is correct, is a big deal in the buton collecting community . Thanks to your partner nbcuse I do think the mystery is solved, USA was a great find but this button and I believe now ided is rarer . Seems to be lots found in SC and all I have seen the larger coat size. I think guys should start a new thread to help spread the word as for years the P N buton has been a mystery and I think could indeed be a candidate for a Banner. Of course the experts would need to agree probably first. Let me know if u do and will do a response with now what I just found out. By the way your partner deserve credit for helping me identify it. Did u or he find the PN?Kinda weird we both thought about the same time thst it could be Provincial Army. Let me know. This thread is old now as u know. Gary

PM sent.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great button. Nice job with the cleaning too. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions