Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven’t been on too many woods hunt this summer cause of the heat and humidity, but I’m glad I did recently.After a lack lustre couple of hours finding mostly bottle caps I found my one and only good find of the day.Its a Cartouche knife, which dates back to the fur trade period.Yeah I was drenched in sweat and had to deal with the biting bugs, but it was worth it.

Attachments

• 8392C5F8-00B3-427E-9348-C44908ED81F0.jpeg
    8392C5F8-00B3-427E-9348-C44908ED81F0.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 188
  • CF0F3DE6-81B5-45C6-A252-265A58A2028D.jpeg
    CF0F3DE6-81B5-45C6-A252-265A58A2028D.jpeg
    891 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 35

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven’t been on too many woods hunt this summer cause of the heat and humidity, but I’m glad I did recently.After a lack lustre couple of hours finding mostly bottle caps I found my one and only good find of the day.Its a Cartouche knife, which dates back to the fur trade period.Yeah I was drenched in sweat and had to deal with the biting bugs, but it was worth it.
That’s freakin awesome I love the fur trade era

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way, that knife is sweet, love the design. Great find

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a great find, congratulations!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! All I find are "Bit's & Pieces" :BangHead: of those.......

Iowa Dale

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery on the knife, congrats.
Dug bits but never a whole one.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great recovery on the knife, congrats.
Dug bits but never a whole one.

Thanks I guess I was lucky finding a whole piece

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! All I find are "Bit's & Pieces" :BangHead: of those.......

Iowa Dale

That Dale, I have enjoyed seeing all your great fur trade posts/finds.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! What is the handle made from?

Hi mudflap, I’m not sure, I believe it’s a brass alloy with horn, bone, or wood "scales" (grips).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the cool relic! :icon_thumleft:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great find,congrats! I have rarely seen a complete one. Looks like a promising area.

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great find,congrats! I have rarely seen a complete one. Looks like a promising area.

Thanks Aureus, I sure hope so.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fur trade era of the North American continent is often overlooked . But the fact is the fur trade industry had more to do with the growth of America and Canada than any other single factor And there where people that built their wealth in that industry John Jacob Astor became a millionaire through his involvement with it Of course the actual trappers seldom made out very well. During that time there where Free Trappers ;they worked for them selves and company trappers;they worked for a fur company such as the Hudson Bay Company .As a Free Trapper you could do business with any company As a company trapper you could only buy and sell with the company you worked for .And the mark up was extremely high The industry itself was so large it had it's own form of monetary system. I would love to find some thing from that time period Congrats

OP
OP
Relicific

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fur trade era of the North American continent is often overlooked . But the fact is the fur trade industry had more to do with the growth of America and Canada than any other single factor And there where people that built their wealth in that industry John Jacob Astor became a millionaire through his involvement with it Of course the actual trappers seldom made out very well. During that time there where Free Trappers ;they worked for them selves and company trappers;they worked for a fur company such as the Hudson Bay Company .As a Free Trapper you could do business with any company As a company trapper you could only buy and sell with the company you worked for .And the mark up was extremely high The industry itself was so large it had it's own form of monetary system. I would love to find some thing from that time period Congrats
Thanks that was very informative
I appreciate you writing this post

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some additional info regarding the fur trade era It mostly was from the middle 1600's to about 1840 John Jacob Astor was the owner of the American Fur Company When he died he was the wealthiest man in America And for all those that are treasure hunters here is why we keep looking .Most fur trappers did not have a home .They traveled the countryside and wilderness looking for places to catch animals The would move from area to area as need be They traveled light .So as the moved about they would cache or hide their gear and equipment in spots that would allow them to pick t up the next time through .Of course at some point there was no next time .So keep looking You never know where some better off than average free trapper hide his winnings from a rendezvous poker game

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread