Finally got my first Metal Detector!

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So excited and with only about an hour to look I headed out!!!
Well...it was a little disappointing after seeing all your guys cool finds... :(
After digging about three inches thinking a 5 cent ... I got a Utah brewery beer...I’ve found those just walking...
49E53109-434B-413B-97A8-262A196C0FED.jpeg
4554FDD7-ECF5-403A-8F48-7417CB6FC3C4.jpeg

My 4 inch dig for what showed both a 5 cent and quarter was really exciting cause I hit something flat, hard and about 4x4 inches... I thought... WOW a treasure box!!!!
It was a flat white rock that I quickly pitched back into the hole and covered it back up.

Disappointed but not discouraged...I’m going into town for a couple of days for a bath and GOOD shower and some shopping and will spend an entire day out playing with my new toy when I get back!!!! 8-}

Upvote 16
OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby !

When I got my first machine I dug up bunch of larger chucks of iron ( iron wrap) because my target ID told me the hits were Quarters !
There's a learning curve that comes with anything you do - especially in this hobby - it never ends - this is what keeps metal detecting so challenging and also so much fun.
As most would agree ... I wish I could start my learning curve all over again - the first coin - the first Wheat penny - the first Silver - the first 1800's coin, etc.

Hang in there - keep reading the forum posts - ask questions - watch videos - but most important of all - spend as much time in the field as possible - then things will start to fall into place !

A real good tip - make a list of everyone you know that has a house that's more than 60 years or more old and go dig some Silver Coins.

Good Hunting !

ty E-Trac-Ohio!!!!
That’s some really good advice visiting those with old houses!!! 8-!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good tip to avoid those cans: When you get a signal that sounds really loud, lift your coil 4-6" above the ground and re-sweep. If it still sounds loud it will not likely be small like a coin. 90% or more of what most of us dig is trash, just part of the game. Patience is the best friend any of us have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good tip to avoid those cans: When you get a signal that sounds really loud, lift your coil 4-6" above the ground and re-sweep. If it still sounds loud it will not likely be small like a coin. 90% or more of what most of us dig is trash, just part of the game. Patience is the best friend any of us have.

ty gunsil...great advice!!!! I’m gonna throw a coin and can on the ground and practice that....

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! I've currently got an ACE 300 as well! Don't be discouraged, you've got to dig the trash to find the good stuff! Also, be patient, most of the time when I hunt I go for a few hours at least... even then I don't always bring home good finds!

My first find was one of those old zinc jar tops... pretty much shredded with the porcelain smashed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I've currently got an ACE 300 as well! Don't be discouraged, you've got to dig the trash to find the good stuff! Also, be patient, most of the time when I hunt I go for a few hours at least... even then I don't always bring home good finds!

My first find was one of those old zinc jar tops... pretty much shredded with the porcelain smashed.

ty Noah_D...it’s good to know that someone uses the same one I chose!!!!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ty Noah_D...it’s good to know that someone uses the same one I chose!!!!

Yeah I like it a lot! My first detector was a bh quicksilver and this is definitely a HUGE upgrade although I found some silvers and stuff with that one too.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil's tip is a good one, something else you might want to do is make detector bed of dirt where you can bury different items like different denominations of coins to hear the tone they give and also see the number on your display.Then try different types of metals to see where they come up on your display and how they sound also.Not sure if yours has earphones but if so a large aluminum can will scream at you so you will see what people mean by it was a whisper of a signal or a screamer.I think with headphones your battery life is longer and in a park setting they are fantastic because the beeping without headphones attracts kids like a magnet and some won't leave you alone to enjoy yourself.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it treasure will come it takes time practice and patience

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you using a pinpointer? If not you need one and the new orange Garrett one is a real good one. Use one of those small shovels (about 2' long) from Home Depot for your plug. And get a Lesche digger. The name of the game is quick target recovery. That way you can dig a lot of crap and still get the good stuff in a reasonable amount of time. Protect your hands and knees. Usually tons of coins around highschools--kids seem to drop them everywhere. Post everything you find. Too many here just post the good stuff and not the junk they dig--it does the newbies like you a disservice thinking most of us experienced guys don't dig junk too. You have to even with the best detectors out there.

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gunsil's tip is a good one, something else you might want to do is make detector bed of dirt where you can bury different items like different denominations of coins to hear the tone they give and also see the number on your display.Then try different types of metals to see where they come up on your display and how they sound also.Not sure if yours has earphones but if so a large aluminum can will scream at you so you will see what people mean by it was a whisper of a signal or a screamer.I think with headphones your battery life is longer and in a park setting they are fantastic because the beeping without headphones attracts kids like a magnet and some won't leave you alone to enjoy yourself.

ty Back-of-the-boat!!!
There is a patch soft dirt that I’m going to practice that...just need to borrow those coins and metals!!!
I do have headphones but haven’t used them yet...will work on that!!!

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a pinpointer? If not you need one and the new orange Garrett one is a real good one. Use one of those small shovels (about 2' long) from Home Depot for your plug. And get a Lesche digger. The name of the game is quick target recovery. That way you can dig a lot of crap and still get the good stuff in a reasonable amount of time. Protect your hands and knees. Usually tons of coins around highschools--kids seem to drop them everywhere. Post everything you find. Too many here just post the good stuff and not the junk they dig--it does the newbies like you a disservice thinking most of us experienced guys don't dig junk too. You have to even with the best detectors out there.

The only things I have are the detector, headphones, screen and little trowel shovel thing... I think I’ll get used to using these first!!!
ty 8-)

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a baseball park today for about an hour before I lost light!!!
I used the headphones this time...thanks for that advice!!!
I finally know the scream (OMG!!!) and the nice calming whisper that tells me something real is there!!!
The screaming is sooooo loud that when I turn it down... I see things pop up on the screen but I don’t hear a whisper or a scream ... will I miss something cause I don’t want to go deaf?!?!
I ended up three for three!!! Three regular pennies and three screaming junks!
BFC1295F-9F49-4E0D-989F-F89EF54DACB8.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new Garrett! It is a solid machine. Did you do the simple tone/number tests on a penny; nickel; dime; quarter; pulltab; nail; tinfoil? You should. Now that you have the "hardware," you will need to learn more about your area. Where were the harvest or roundup celebrations held? Where is the old picnic grove? Fairgrounds? Rodeos; stage coach stops? There is a lot more to the hobby than the machine! Good Luck, and Big Gold & Silver! :headbang::skullflag:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is a MUST. I remember sifting around in the plug and hole for 5 minutes trying to find what was making the ACE 250 ding. Heck, occasionally even with a pin pointer the target can be elusive....

Last I knew, Harbor Freight sold an inexpensive pin pointer. I don’t know how compatible with the hobby they are but it might be an option worth investigating.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is a MUST. I remember sifting around in the plug and hole for 5 minutes trying to find what was making the ACE 250 ding. Heck, occasionally even with a pin pointer the target can be elusive....

Last I knew, Harbor Freight sold an inexpensive pin pointer. I don’t know how compatible with the hobby they are but it might be an option worth investigating.

The Harbor Freight pinpointers are not worth the money spent unless you return it every 90 days for a new one because the button on it constantly breaks or fails.I did that in the beginning of detecting then broke down and bought a garrett pinpointer haven't had a problem since then, I want the garrett carrot for the waterproof aspect of it as I water detect a lot.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet & to your new hobby, assuming you stick at it.:thumbsup:

''little disappointing after seeing all your guys cool finds''

Nothing worth doing comes easy. We may make it look easy, because many on here only show the highlights & also they have done hours of researching.
Research is the key.
When you're on the right spot you need to think like a Trash Digger, not a Treasure Hunter. Then after getting used to clearing tons of trash, you may start finding the treasure.
Ignore the VDI & what its telling you (only glance at it to help your guessing, never dig numbers alone), learn the sounds, your ears are better than the machines bells & whistles.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion but ...

Yes - very important - whatever you do - get a good Pin Pointer - I'd get a Garrett Pro Pointer ( the orange "Garrett Carrot" - it's much better than the Black Garrett ) if possible - you'll never have to upgrade.

If you get a hand digger - get a Lesche - again, you'll never a need to upgrade.

And if you don't already have a set - a good set of Headphones also gives you a big advantage - they knock out wind, road and wave noise and also lets you to hear the deeper, subtle signals that you might miss without them.

Good Hunting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread