Finally got my first Metal Detector!

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So excited and with only about an hour to look I headed out!!!
Well...it was a little disappointing after seeing all your guys cool finds... :(
After digging about three inches thinking a 5 cent ... I got a Utah brewery beer...I’ve found those just walking...
49E53109-434B-413B-97A8-262A196C0FED.jpeg
4554FDD7-ECF5-403A-8F48-7417CB6FC3C4.jpeg

My 4 inch dig for what showed both a 5 cent and quarter was really exciting cause I hit something flat, hard and about 4x4 inches... I thought... WOW a treasure box!!!!
It was a flat white rock that I quickly pitched back into the hole and covered it back up.

Disappointed but not discouraged...I’m going into town for a couple of days for a bath and GOOD shower and some shopping and will spend an entire day out playing with my new toy when I get back!!!! 8-}

Upvote 16

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is a MUST. I remember sifting around in the plug and hole for 5 minutes trying to find what was making the ACE 250 ding. Heck, occasionally even with a pin pointer the target can be elusive....

Last I knew, Harbor Freight sold an inexpensive pin pointer. I don’t know how compatible with the hobby they are but it might be an option worth investigating.

Haha. I did that once for must have been a half hour, only to turn up a staple in beach sand. Pinpointer would have saved a lot of time there.

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay...I’ve got you guys...I will be looking for an orange Garrett pinpointer!!!!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first metal detector. That is a neat old "punch top" beer can. Better than finding the "pull tab" kind.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay...I’ve got you guys...I will be looking for an orange Garrett pinpointer!!!!
I guess it depends on your detecting style. I'm quicker without it. I normally dig 2 holes for every one that a pinpointer guy digs.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I posted pictures of all the trash I dig I would crash this website!:BangHead: Hang tough, be patient and keep swinging and you'll find the good stuff!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it depends on your detecting style. I'm quicker without it. I normally dig 2 holes for every one that a pinpointer guy digs.

Interesting, I guess you're speaking from years of experience hunting fields and stuff but when I'm in the woods or rooty areas (or just feel lazy) I go for the smallest hole possible... and I'm not very accurate. I'm hopelessly lost without the pinpointer lol.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I guess it depends on your detecting style. I'm quicker without it. I normally dig 2 holes for every one that a pinpointer guy digs."

Didn't you know his finds are always older, better, more plentiful than any known to man and the x-ray vision obviates the need for a pinpointer (and quite possibly a detector too). :tongue3::laughing7:

I'm throwing out the B-S card on the 2 holes to 1 assertion. :hello:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I guess you're speaking from years of experience hunting fields and stuff but when I'm in the woods or rooty areas (or just feel lazy) I go for the smallest hole possible... and I'm not very accurate. I'm hopelessly lost without the pinpointer lol.
Like anything, if you train with it, hard to kick the habit.
Field hunting is easy. Hopefully, 1 dig its out, spread the dirt with your foot, swing back over, bend over & grab with the first grab (takes practice), put in your pouch. From beep to pouch 30 secounds or less.
This post demonstrates how quick I am:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/212827-new-1-day-button-record.html
I was putting an object in my pouch every 1-1.5 minutes for 4 hours.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What he said! This is right on point. The Gray Ghost headphones are really great and super durable.

Just my opinion but ...

Yes - very important - whatever you do - get a good Pin Pointer - I'd get a Garrett Pro Pointer ( the orange "Garrett Carrot" - it's much better than the Black Garrett ) if possible - you'll never have to upgrade.

If you get a hand digger - get a Lesche - again, you'll never a need to upgrade.

And if you don't already have a set - a good set of Headphones also gives you a big advantage - they knock out wind, road and wave noise and also lets you to hear the deeper, subtle signals that you might miss without them.

Good Hunting !

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I guess it depends on your detecting style. I'm quicker without it. I normally dig 2 holes for every one that a pinpointer guy digs."

Didn't you know his finds are always older, better, more plentiful than any known to man and the x-ray vision obviates the need for a pinpointer (and quite possibly a detector too). :tongue3::laughing7:

I'm throwing out the B-S card on the 2 holes to 1 assertion. :hello:
I was being generious, its more like 3 holes for most. See post above. If you can put stuff in your pouch nearly every 1 minute for 4 hours whilst on your knees I'm calling BS on you.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like anything, if you train with it, hard to kick the habit.
Field hunting is easy. Hopefully, 1 dig its out, spread the dirt with your foot, swing back over, bend over & grab with the first grab (takes practice), put in your pouch. From beep to pouch 30 secounds or less.
This post demonstrates how quick I am:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/212827-new-1-day-button-record.html
I was putting an object in my pouch every 1-1.5 minutes for 4 hours.

Holy cow! Usually if I find something good I just sit there and look at it (don't worry at least I wait to clean it until I get home) for a few... :laughing7: I'm guessing you don't do too much of that?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe 3 to 1 when you're detecting with your dad--not a fit experienced detectorist. Who's on their knees? I've hunted farm fields in England as you know--it's mindless. Beep-dig. No one can pick out dirty items out of a pile of dirt 100% of the time w/o a pinpointer, some smaller percentage yes. I'll go toe to toe with you any day next time I'm in England and we'll post the result here, shall we? But we don't even know your first name or what county you're in after all these years, so I guess it'll be hard to look you up. :laughing7:

I was being generious, its more like 3 holes for most. See post above. If you can put stuff in your pouch nearly every 1 minute for 4 hours whilst on your knees I'm calling BS on you.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow! Usually if I find something good I just sit there and look at it (don't worry at least I wait to clean it until I get home) for a few... :laughing7: I'm guessing you don't do too much of that?

As Curly Bill said to Johnny Ringo about Doc Holiday in the movie Tombstone "Careful Johnny, I hear he's *real* fast." :laughing7:

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if its a good find like a gold coin or nice silver, then I will pop over & show Cru'dad who's taking up the rear spot on the run behind me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 3 to 1 when you were detecting with your dad--not a fit experienced detectorist. Who's on their knees? I've hunted farm fields in England as you know--it's mindless. Beep-dig. No one can pick out dirty items out of a pile of dirt 100% of the time w/o a pinpointer, some smaller percentage yes. I'll go toe to toe with you any day next time I'm in England and we'll post the result here, shall we? But we don't even know your first name or what county you're in after all these years, so I guess it'll be hard to look you up. :laughing7:
I find bits of lead the size of a match head (fraction bigger) without issue. When you get your eye in, & you know where in the pile the machine is telling you it is, it comes naturally. It will not come naturally if you rely on another devise to do it for you.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel I've gone off-piste a little.

Back to the OP's question.
If your doing a park in the US, its my understanding you cant dig a 3 edged flap of turf with a spade like I do. So where you need to dig a small hole which could lead to you damaging a rare coin, a pinpointer is probably a good idea.
But in open farmland & woods, I won't bother.

MelanieN

Greenie
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting started as well. We have found some interesting items in our yard but I just bought a new toy for the coast. I bought a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. I love the thrill and my husband will love me not digging our yard up! Keep it up, your next dig may be a treasure.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting started as well. We have found some interesting items in our yard but I just bought a new toy for the coast. I bought a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. I love the thrill and my husband will love me not digging our yard up! Keep it up, your next dig may be a treasure.
Welcome to Tnet.
So I'm guessing he didn't get you into detecting. Otherwise he would love the holes in your yard.:laughing7:

MelanieN

Greenie
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holes

Welcome to Tnet.
So I'm guessing he didn't get you into detecting. Otherwise he would love the holes in your yard.:laughing7:

No he supports me but I stumbled onto this. Bought a metal detector at goodwill because I thought it would be fun. I was right!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No he supports me but I stumbled onto this. Bought a metal detector at goodwill because I thought it would be fun. I was right!!
It is. I was given mine at 11 years old. Very grateful to my Uncle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions