Finally got my first Metal Detector!

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So excited and with only about an hour to look I headed out!!!
Well...it was a little disappointing after seeing all your guys cool finds... :(
After digging about three inches thinking a 5 cent ... I got a Utah brewery beer...I’ve found those just walking...
49E53109-434B-413B-97A8-262A196C0FED.jpeg
4554FDD7-ECF5-403A-8F48-7417CB6FC3C4.jpeg

My 4 inch dig for what showed both a 5 cent and quarter was really exciting cause I hit something flat, hard and about 4x4 inches... I thought... WOW a treasure box!!!!
It was a flat white rock that I quickly pitched back into the hole and covered it back up.

Disappointed but not discouraged...I’m going into town for a couple of days for a bath and GOOD shower and some shopping and will spend an entire day out playing with my new toy when I get back!!!! 8-}

Upvote 16
OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new Garrett! It is a solid machine. Did you do the simple tone/number tests on a penny; nickel; dime; quarter; pulltab; nail; tinfoil? You should. Now that you have the "hardware," you will need to learn more about your area. Where were the harvest or roundup celebrations held? Where is the old picnic grove? Fairgrounds? Rodeos; stage coach stops? There is a lot more to the hobby than the machine! Good Luck, and Big Gold & Silver! :headbang::skullflag:

ty Terry Soloman...I’m going to work on that...I’m learning the area from a dear friend who’s ancestors (Mormon) helped settle the area and is a native.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good hunt! Keep at it, you will find awesome keepers soon! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting started as well. We have found some interesting items in our yard but I just bought a new toy for the coast. I bought a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. I love the thrill and my husband will love me not digging our yard up! Keep it up, your next dig may be a treasure.

ty MelanieN...enjoy the coast!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first detector!:hello2:

I can still remember well when the family got the first detector over 50yrs ago.
I still have the passion, the dreams, and it's a place I can go where the world gets left behind.
There's been a heap of great advice from many on here.
Everyone of us have dug a lot of holes and a lot of trash.
Just in the past few years I have filled a few 45 gallons drums of just iron.
But with every shovel dug hole there's hope of eyeing that keeper of the day.

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first detector!:hello2:

I can still remember well when the family got the first detector over 50yrs ago.
I still have the passion, the dreams, and it's a place I can go where the world gets left behind.
There's been a heap of great advice from many on here.
Everyone of us have dug a lot of holes and a lot of trash.
Just in the past few years I have filled a few 45 gallons drums of just iron.
But with every shovel dug hole there's hope of eyeing that keeper of the day.

ty pepperj!!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well MelanieN and VFLang, welcome to the passion and obsession you've allowed into your life. I see in your futures things like a double drum tumbler. Photographic microscopes. And I even picked up a heated ultra-sonic cleaner. Now you may not need those kinda gizmos - but they're pretty neat to have around sometimes.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pin pointer is a MUST. I remember sifting around in the plug and hole for 5 minutes trying to find what was making the ACE 250 ding. Heck, occasionally even with a pin pointer the target can be elusive....

Last I knew, Harbor Freight sold an inexpensive pin pointer. I don’t know how compatible with the hobby they are but it might be an option worth investigating.

Yes, I have a pinpointer, actually three of them since I like to try various products. Is one necessary? Not really. I started detecting in 1970 and there were no such thing for many years. My old BFO had a dual coil and the inner 3" coil would pinpoint very well. Even with a more modern detector if you get your pinpointing down well you know when you are directly over a target and don't need much more than a 3" diameter hole to recover a coin to 6" where many lie. Easy enough to run a fistful of dirt under your coil to locate the target. Maybe a little slower, but not that much slower if your machine and you pinpointed it well. Now if you are making a 6" diameter hole or plug and digging out a pile of dirt for a coin sized object at 6" or less a pinpointer will definitely help but you aren't pinpointing well with your machine. Many folks just starting out don't have a lot of money to invest in gear and I think that saying they NEED more expensive gear doesn't help them enjoy hunting. Patience is still our best friend, we all have it, often new hunters also have plenty of it and are happy to run a handful of dirt under the coil to find the target. Even now, I look in the hole and removed dirt to see if I see the target before pulling out the pinpointer and I quite often see it, even if a corroded dark brown penny in dark brown dirt. Yes, when the target turns out to be a BB or small lead pellet, tiny piece of copper or aluminum flashing the pinpointer helps immensely but it is still not really necessary.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other suggestion for the next time you get into town would be to hit the library for researching areas to hunt.Your area has quite a bit of history, you just need to find the places that interest you the most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread