Finally got my first Metal Detector!

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So excited and with only about an hour to look I headed out!!!
Well...it was a little disappointing after seeing all your guys cool finds... :(
After digging about three inches thinking a 5 cent ... I got a Utah brewery beer...Iā€™ve found those just walking...
49E53109-434B-413B-97A8-262A196C0FED.jpeg
4554FDD7-ECF5-403A-8F48-7417CB6FC3C4.jpeg

My 4 inch dig for what showed both a 5 cent and quarter was really exciting cause I hit something flat, hard and about 4x4 inches... I thought... WOW a treasure box!!!!
It was a flat white rock that I quickly pitched back into the hole and covered it back up.

Disappointed but not discouraged...Iā€™m going into town for a couple of days for a bath and GOOD shower and some shopping and will spend an entire day out playing with my new toy when I get back!!!! 8-}

Upvote 16

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to my world!! Ha... Iā€™m sure you know for every good find you see here on Tnet, thereā€™s a few or more pieces of trash they had to wade through to get to it. Good luck and Happy Hunting with your new toy!! Make sure to post those finds... Ddf.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good!

What metal detector did you select as your first? Learn that detector. I swung the Ace 250 around for weeks before I saw some tips online that helped me consistently identify coins in the ground.

Knowing your detector is important. Location is important. Digging is important. Between understanding what the detector is telling you, hunting where there is history and digging a million holes, you willl find the good stuff ��

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty Squirrel322!
I have a Garrett 300...I figured itā€™s minimum frills so not too complicated to learn eventually and waterproof as I will need to be looking in the stream and most of all...not the most expensive or cheapest...just in case it ends up with my other ā€˜hobbyā€™ tools I got bored with!!!! 8-)
So cross your fingers that I find something really neat like all of you guys!!!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We always post about the good stuff we find. What you donā€™t hear about is the hours spent digging trash. Keep going though. When you hit that first silver or ring, thatā€™s all the motivation youā€™ll need! Happy hunting!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first find was a crushed aluminum can. It's a rite of passage! :laughing7:

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty Erik in NJ (is that like the commercial...NJ, get a rope??? LOL...joke, sorry)
Thatā€™s good to know!!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The patina on your can is awesome though LOL Hit up some playgrounds with wood chips to find some modern coins, you don't have to really dig there and you can really familiarize yourself with your machine and sometimes the jewelry shows up.Most of the gold rings I have found have been in playgrounds and around places where sports are played but you will also find pull tabs and other trash.It is all part of our wonderful addiction.I found enough clad coins and jewelry in my first year that I matched what I bought my AT Gold for.

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty Back-of-the-boat.
Iā€™m off-grid but taking it into town with me is a great idea!!!!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congradulations with the can it wont be the last one. Best advice I can suggest is have fun, the finds will come. Years ago my daughter was small digging under the bench with a stick pops out a beautifull 14k ring with a stone. Playing at a different park digging near the Hudson River she finds a Barber Dime from 1900 no detector! Its all about having fun digging in the dirt. Good luck.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF, you will find some keepers soon, just be patient! You will be surprised how much trash is in the ground so remove it and you will be rewarded.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that just the coil is waterproof, the control box isn't.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a nickel for every nickel signal that turned out to be trash....but I still dig them all because gold usually produces a nickel signal!

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congradulations with the can it wont be the last one. Best advice I can suggest is have fun, the finds will come. Years ago my daughter was small digging under the bench with a stick pops out a beautifull 14k ring with a stone. Playing at a different park digging near the Hudson River she finds a Barber Dime from 1900 no detector! Its all about having fun digging in the dirt. Good luck.

ty michael NY!!!!

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF, you will find some keepers soon, just be patient! You will be surprised how much trash is in the ground so remove it and you will be rewarded.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that just the coil is waterproof, the control box isn't.

ty SD51!
I donā€™t know how to swim so I donā€™t get too close to the water!!! Just the coil is perfect...

OP
OP
VFLang

VFLang

Jul 11, 2020
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a nickel for every nickel signal that turned out to be trash....but I still dig them all because gold usually produces a nickel signal!

ty Raider19962!!!
Thatā€™s good to know...GOLD...8-@

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum and to a great hobby !

When I got my first machine I dug up bunch of larger chucks of iron ( iron wrap) because my target ID told me the hits were Quarters !
There's a learning curve that comes with anything you do - especially in this hobby - it never ends - this is what keeps metal detecting so challenging and also so much fun.
As most would agree ... I wish I could start my learning curve all over again - the first coin - the first Wheat penny - the first Silver - the first 1800's coin, etc.

Hang in there - keep reading the forum posts - ask questions - watch videos - but most important of all - spend as much time in the field as possible - then things will start to fall into place !

A real good tip - make a list of everyone you know that has a house that's more than 60 years or more old and go dig some Silver Coins.

Good Hunting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread