WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombadier 10K Gold Ring!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier 10K Gold Ring!

Well Hello everyone! I'll keep this short and sweet and let the pictures do the talking. Went out after work today for a short Birthday hunt. Decided to go to a median strip not far from home. Was looking for silver. Found a spill of wheats, nickles and a 1961 Rosie right away. Would have been just fine if that was the find of the day. Had about 15 wheats today oldest was a 1916. Was heading back to the car. Told myself 20 and over signals only. Had a nice 21-23 on the Nox. Honestly I was expecting a penny. Broke open the clump and this was staring back at me...

20200803_174709.jpg

20200803_174729.jpg

20200803_190755.jpg

20200803_190815.jpg

20200803_190830.jpg

20200803_190842.jpg

20200803_190940.jpg

I instantly started shaking and swearing uncontrollably. This is my first gold ever after 4 years swinging the coil. I packed up and headed back home. I thought it was a class ring. Wasn't till I got home and cleaned it untill I figured out what it was. 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier Ring. I'm still in shock. It weighs 17.7 grams. Marked Jostens 10K and there is a name engraved on the inside. Im going to do some research to try to find the owner. Im sure this ring has been lost for many years and that the family would love to have it back.

Happy Birthday to me! One that will never be forgotten. Good luck out there and Happy Hunting everyone!

-TheMilDetector-

Last edited:
Upvote 116
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a stellar find! Happy Birthday :occasion14: and good luck tracking the owner or his family. That'll be a wonderful journey in and of itself. :thumbsup:

What a stunner of a ring! If you are able to return that to a family member it will be an incredible experience for both parties.

I was able to return a gold ring to a 90 year old woman after being lost for 70 years. It was definitely one of the best experiences of my detecting career.

Good luck, and congrats on the great find

Fantastic find. Hopefully you'll be able to return it to the family or the airman himself. Congrats.

Congrats on an excellent find, and best of luck finding the family. I know they will appreciate receiving it back, as most of our WW11 Veterans are no longer with us. Keep us updated.

Thanks everyone. Fortunately his full name is on the inside of the band. Unfortunately he and his wife passed away in the 1990s as well as his brother last year. He left behind children and grandchildren. My wonderful wife is trying to locate his children. Im so humbled to have found such a piece of history.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi In your effort to locate a past owner or the history of the ring I strongly suggest you get in contact with the " Mighty Eighth Army Air Force " in Pooler GA. They are the epic center for the Army Air Force during WW2 . They have extensive records of Crews and even The aircraft they served on If you have any initials ect on the ring I am sure they can give you adaquate information Good Luck https://www.mightyeighth.org/

Thanks for the link citiboy. We will definately look into it. His full name is on the ring so Hopefuly it wont be too dificult to find his family.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Spectacular find! Far greater than the average class ring. The owner could be only 20 years older than me. Hopefully he is still with us. Will make a great return. Good luck.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great save !!
After '41, all bombardier's were officers.
The panel between the eagle and the airplane might hold the officer's graduation month from Bombardier's school (like 42-4); or his service number.
Take pics of the return, if possible.
Don.......

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, fantastic looking ring! Can hardly wait to see what your research turn up.

Steve

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a killer find! Big gold and a piece of American history. Good luck on the return and thank you for the VDIs!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that should keep you high for a few days. What a beautiful find. Congrats

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second Thought on locating a family Try the Vets Administration Grave registration site That will have where he is buried if he is at a national cemetry This will usually show even if he is at a pvt cemetry If you can find the grave you can check with the location who placed him there and go from there or even a funeral home since they would have record of who paid the bill Just a thought Keep searching

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I will be following this thread to read how the return goes!!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular find! Far greater than the average class ring. The owner could be only 20 years older than me. Hopefully he is still with us. Will make a great return. Good luck.

Wow, fantastic looking ring! Can hardly wait to see what your research turn up.

Steve

Wow, that should keep you high for a few days. What a beautiful find. Congrats

Awesome! I will be following this thread to read how the return goes!!

Thanks everyone. Im still up in the clouds. It will be hard to top this find. I will start the research more thoroughly tomorow hopefully. Its my daughter's birthday today:laughing7:

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save !!
After '41, all bombardier's were officers.
The panel between the eagle and the airplane might hold the officer's graduation month from Bombardier's school (like 42-4); or his service number.
Take pics of the return, if possible.
Don.......

Thanks for the info Don. There are numbers in that area. This ring was worn for many years before it was lost it seems as there is some wear on it. Those numbers are barely visible now but they are there. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second Thought on locating a family Try the Vets Administration Grave registration site That will have where he is buried if he is at a national cemetry This will usually show even if he is at a pvt cemetry If you can find the grave you can check with the location who placed him there and go from there or even a funeral home since they would have record of who paid the bill Just a thought Keep searching

Thanks again Citiboy. I will definately give that a try.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Sweet!! That is why I hunt. I did return a 1927 class ring to the son of the owner once and just got the feeling that he wouldn't ever appreciate it as much as I would have! So now (here comes some ruffled feathers), if I can't return it to the original owner or a spouse I don't.

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found many gold rings over the years and the most rewarding finds are the rings I have returned !

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't let one glass of sour milk ruin it for you. If someone were to return any of my late parents' lost possessions I'd be thrilled. I suspect the great majority of many others would be too.

Sweet!! That is why I hunt. I did return a 1927 class ring to the son of the owner once and just got the feeling that he wouldn't ever appreciate it as much as I would have! So now (here comes some ruffled feathers), if I can't return it to the original owner or a spouse I don't.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find
Congrats

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's stunning, nice recovery. Hope you can find the family, take lots of photos before you do so you'll you'll always have your find

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can sorta understand that from the perspective that if there are numerous children and grandchildren, it may cause a heap of friction when they start bickering over who should have it.

By the way, that's one of the coolest rings I've ever seen. Beautiful find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the killer ring! Good Luck on the research and return. :occasion14:

dansalata

May 16, 2011
porterville calif...
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is way cool.i also have returned a number of items to families...no better feeling..one were letters from a ww1 navy pilot to his sweetheart,the grandkids loved them...great finds!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread