WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombadier 10K Gold Ring!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier 10K Gold Ring!

Well Hello everyone! I'll keep this short and sweet and let the pictures do the talking. Went out after work today for a short Birthday hunt. Decided to go to a median strip not far from home. Was looking for silver. Found a spill of wheats, nickles and a 1961 Rosie right away. Would have been just fine if that was the find of the day. Had about 15 wheats today oldest was a 1916. Was heading back to the car. Told myself 20 and over signals only. Had a nice 21-23 on the Nox. Honestly I was expecting a penny. Broke open the clump and this was staring back at me...

20200803_174709.jpg

20200803_174729.jpg

20200803_190755.jpg

20200803_190815.jpg

20200803_190830.jpg

20200803_190842.jpg

20200803_190940.jpg

I instantly started shaking and swearing uncontrollably. This is my first gold ever after 4 years swinging the coil. I packed up and headed back home. I thought it was a class ring. Wasn't till I got home and cleaned it untill I figured out what it was. 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier Ring. I'm still in shock. It weighs 17.7 grams. Marked Jostens 10K and there is a name engraved on the inside. Im going to do some research to try to find the owner. Im sure this ring has been lost for many years and that the family would love to have it back.

Happy Birthday to me! One that will never be forgotten. Good luck out there and Happy Hunting everyone!

-TheMilDetector-

Last edited:
Upvote 116
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found many gold rings over the years and the most rewarding finds are the rings I have returned !

Wow that's stunning, nice recovery. Hope you can find the family, take lots of photos before you do so you'll you'll always have your find

Congrats on the killer ring! Good Luck on the research and return. :occasion14:

that is way cool.i also have returned a number of items to families...no better feeling..one were letters from a ww1 navy pilot to his sweetheart,the grandkids loved them...great finds!!!

Thanks everyone. I think I may have found the oldest son. My boss' aunt volunteered to help in the search. I will see what she has found in her search and compare what I have found. Fingers crossed we found a match. I'll keep everyone up to speed.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey does anyone have sugestions on how I should start the conversation with the son of the veteran? Im really nervous and dont want to seem intrusive or rude about his family. Im pretty positive his younger brother has passed away reciently also and I dont want to stir up anything. I've never been given the opportunity to return anything yet. Ive been trying to come up with ideas on how to do this but im verry open to suggestions from those who have expirence. Thanks in advance TNet family!

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be hard to get things rolling, but I believe that most people are good, and these things generally turn into something special. Of course every family is different, and you never know what the dynamic may be, but it’s worth doing.

I would say something like this-

“Hello, my name is ___, I live in the ___ area. The other day while day metal detecting I found a beautiful gold ring celebrating the WWII military service of a man with the name of ____. I would be thrilled to find a family member of this man so the ring could be returned. While researching, I came upon your name and I’m wondering if this man is a relative of yours. Please message me back if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your time.”

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just be yourself. You seem to be a very nice guy. I would just say "Hi I'm _______ from _______. I believe I may have found your father's ring the other day when I was metal detecting. Do you know if he lost a special ring a number of years back?" (just to make sure you got the right guy). If you can tell me a bit about it, I'd love to return it to you." (see if he know where it might have been lost and if he can describe it, and remember, you're doing the family a great service so no need to feel intrusive at all.)

Then let the conversation go where it may. :occasion14:

Hey does anyone have sugestions on how I should start the conversation with the son of the veteran? Im really nervous and dont want to seem intrusive or rude about his family. Im pretty positive his younger brother has passed away reciently also and I dont want to stir up anything. I've never been given the opportunity to return anything yet. Ive been trying to come up with ideas on how to this but im verry open to suggestions from those who have expirence. Thanks in advance TNet family!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can be hard to get things rolling, but I believe that most people are good, and these things generally turn into something special. Of course every family is different, and you never know what the dynamic may be, but it’s worth doing.

I would say something like this-

“Hello, my name is ___, I live in the ___ area. The other day while day metal detecting I found a beautiful gold ring celebrating the WWII military service of a man with the name of ____. I would be thrilled to find a family member of this man so the ring could be returned. While researching, I came upon your name and I’m wondering if this man is a relative of yours. Please message me back if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you for your time.”

Just be yourself. You seem to be a very nice guy. I would just say "Hi I'm _______ from _______. I believe I may have found your father's ring the other day when I was metal detecting. Do you know if he lost a special ring a number of years back?" (just to make sure you got the right guy). If you can tell me a bit about it, I'd love to return it to you." (see if he know where it might have been lost and if he can describe it, and remember, you're doing the family a great service so no need to feel intrusive at all.)

Then let the conversation go where it may. :occasion14:

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I think I know what im going to say now. Keep hitting dead ends at the moment. Just waiting for a response from ancestry.com Hope I can get in contact soon. I'll keep everyone updated as this progresses. In the mean time good luck out there!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful ring, and good on you for trying to find family members.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring, and good on you for trying to find family members.

Thanks RJ55! Hope to have some family to contact verry soon. Wish me luck. Happy Hunting!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks RJ55! Hope to have some family to contact verry soon. Wish me luck. Happy Hunting!

That is a great find. It's even greater that you want to return it to the family. Just remember that regardless of what kind of response you get, your heart is in the right place on this. Good luck in your efforts to return it.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any updates on this great story?

Well yes and no. I know who im looking for and where they may live. About 900 miles away from me so I doubt I'll have an in person return. I've tried contacting where I thought he worked but the person said they had no record of him working there. I find it odd that there was a picture of him on their website. Still wating for a response from ancestry on the family. I hope that can lead me somewhere. I also know where the airman is buried so I may have to go through the cemetery to find his children. Ill keep on trying. If I cant give it to his children Im not sure if I'll try to return it to the grandchildren but well see.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. This is a great story to follow.

Well yes and no. I know who im looking for and where they may live. About 900 miles away from me so I doubt I'll have an in person return. I've tried contacting where I thought he worked but the person said they had no record of him working there. I find it odd that there was a picture of him on their website. Still wating for a response from ancestry on the family. I hope that can lead me somewhere. I also know where the airman is buried so I may have to go through the cemetery to find his children. Ill keep on trying. If I cant give it to his children Im not sure if I'll try to return it to the grandchildren but well see.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your doing great the effort is worth it in the end. Since you know the grave site as I said before they should know the the undertaker. Who just might have a record of the bill. If it’s small town maybe the notice of death was published in a local paper. If so he might have belonged to a local club or organization. Which could give a lead from the members. Good luck
Second thought. Finding it was the Easy part.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your doing great the effort is worth it in the end. Since you know the grave site as I said before they should know the the undertaker. Who just might have a record of the bill. If it’s small town maybe the notice of death was published in a local paper. If so he might have belonged to a local club or organization. Which could give a lead from the members. Good luck
Second thought. Finding it was the Easy part. ��

Thanks citibiy. I've been working off his obituary from 1995. It mentioned his service in WW2 and Vietnam. Told of his children and said where he is buried. He is resting in an IOOF cemetery and was a 32 degree freemason. Talk about some interesting organizations right? Ill keep at it. I'll try contacting the cemetery this week.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That is so awesome. What a beautiful ring and great first gold. Congrats my friend!

Thanks Washingtonian! My goal for this year was to find gold and I'm so glad that this was the one. It'll be hard to top this one for sure.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks citibiy. I've been working off his obituary from 1995. It mentioned his service in WW2 and Vietnam. Told of his children and said where he is buried. He is resting in an IOOF cemetery and was a 32 degree freemason. Talk about some interesting organizations right? Ill keep at it. I'll try contacting the cemetery this week.

Your on the trail I dont think the Cemetery would be needed Since You Tracked down His IOFF and Mason I would go that way Both should be very helpful Also He was more than likely in The VFW or American Legion locally With the name you have I would again try the MIGHTY EIGHTH AIR FORCE GROUP IN Pooler GA
If for nothing else you would know the AIRCRAFT he served on for your own interest
I agree about the Grandkids
What a wonderful adventure you have

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow congrats! Can't wait to hear part II of this story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread