WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombadier 10K Gold Ring!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Massive 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier 10K Gold Ring!

Well Hello everyone! I'll keep this short and sweet and let the pictures do the talking. Went out after work today for a short Birthday hunt. Decided to go to a median strip not far from home. Was looking for silver. Found a spill of wheats, nickles and a 1961 Rosie right away. Would have been just fine if that was the find of the day. Had about 15 wheats today oldest was a 1916. Was heading back to the car. Told myself 20 and over signals only. Had a nice 21-23 on the Nox. Honestly I was expecting a penny. Broke open the clump and this was staring back at me...

20200803_174709.jpg

20200803_174729.jpg

20200803_190755.jpg

20200803_190815.jpg

20200803_190830.jpg

20200803_190842.jpg

20200803_190940.jpg

I instantly started shaking and swearing uncontrollably. This is my first gold ever after 4 years swinging the coil. I packed up and headed back home. I thought it was a class ring. Wasn't till I got home and cleaned it untill I figured out what it was. 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier Ring. I'm still in shock. It weighs 17.7 grams. Marked Jostens 10K and there is a name engraved on the inside. Im going to do some research to try to find the owner. Im sure this ring has been lost for many years and that the family would love to have it back.

Happy Birthday to me! One that will never be forgotten. Good luck out there and Happy Hunting everyone!

-TheMilDetector-

Last edited:
Upvote 116
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I don't have any news yet. I Haven't heard from ancestry and dont know if I will. Honestly I've been busy lately with work and my kids being home for school. If anyone respectible on TNet is interested in assisting in the search PM me and I can give you the information I do have. Thanks so much everyone who has been interested In this find. It means a lot and I hope this story will have a happy ending.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you locate the family it will be interesting to hear what they know....look forward to an update. Great recovery!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well everyone, here is the update for now. I contacted the cemetery searching for next of kin with no luck. I called every number I could find from truepeoplesearch.com also with no luck. Every number was either disconnected or the wrong number. I called The Mighty Eight museum over the weekend and left a message asking for help finding the next of kin. Still waiting for a call back from them. I think I'm running out of options. Anyone have some suggestions?

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well everyone, here is the update for now. I contacted the cemetery searching for next of kin with no luck. I called every number I could find from truepeoplesearch.com also with no luck. Every number was either disconnected or the wrong number. I called The Mighty Eight museum over the weekend and left a message asking for help finding the next of kin. Still waiting for a call back from them. I think I'm running out of options. Anyone have some suggestions?

Well guess its time to chime in with my opinion . For some reason , unknown to us , you are the custodian of this historical item and it was sent your way. You have exceeded in all areas in an attempt to return it to the family. So if I was in your your shoes. I would accept my role as the holder of the history and keep it safe. When you dispose of you findings in time. I would tell my children the story of the owner and how it came into your possession.
If they want to continue to hold it ( no ebay ) I would pass it on. If you don't feel it will be respected for what it is, I myself would turn it over to the MIGHTY EIGHT and have them put it in one of their displays , with the original owners name and as donated to them in his honor by you.
You have done your best

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guess its time to chime in with my opinion . For some reason , unknown to us , you are the custodian of this historical item and it was sent your way. You have exceeded in all areas in an attempt to return it to the family. So if I was in your your shoes. I would accept my role as the holder of the history and keep it safe. When you dispose of you findings in time. I would tell my children the story of the owner and how it came into your possession.
If they want to continue to hold it ( no ebay ) I would pass it on. If you don't feel it will be respected for what it is, I myself would turn it over to the MIGHTY EIGHT and have them put it in one of their displays , with the original owners name and as donated to them in his honor by you.
You have done your best

Thanks Citiboy. You have been very helpful and I appreciate all the suggestions and input you have given me in the last few weeks. I will take care of the ring and continue to share the story I have become apart of. IF the Might Eight gets back to me Ill let everyone know. Maybe some day down the road I'll donate it but well just have to see. I really enjoy holding it and just thinking about what the airman might have gone through. Until next time happy hunting and good luck out there.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One in a million find! Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing!!!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you provide the name inside the ring I'd bet someone here at TNet would be able to get you the information you need so you could finally return this to the family. People here are quite resourceful.

pjad57

Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Hello everyone! I'll keep this short and sweet and let the pictures do the talking. Went out after work today for a short Birthday hunt. Decided to go to a median strip not far from home. Was looking for silver. Found a spill of wheats, nickles and a 1961 Rosie right away. Would have been just fine if that was the find of the day. Had about 15 wheats today oldest was a 1916. Was heading back to the car. Told myself 20 and over signals only. Had a nice 21-23 on the Nox. Honestly I was expecting a penny. Broke open the clump and this was staring back at me...

View attachment 1853811

View attachment 1853812

View attachment 1853815

View attachment 1853817

View attachment 1853823

View attachment 1853826

View attachment 1853831

I instantly started shaking and swearing uncontrollably. This is my first gold ever after 4 years swinging the coil. I packed up and headed back home. I thought it was a class ring. Wasn't till I got home and cleaned it untill I figured out what it was. 1942 WWII USAAF Bombardier Ring. I'm still in shock. It weighs 17.7 grams. Marked Jostens 10K and there is a name engraved on the inside. Im going to do some research to try to find the owner. Im sure this ring has been lost for many years and that the family would love to have it back.

Happy Birthday to me! One that will never be forgotten. Good luck out there and Happy Hunting everyone!

-TheMilDetector-
Great find! Will be awesome if you are able to find a relative of the airman.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beautiful....really beautiful ring! Congratulations!!! Finding all those wheaties is encouraging too. Must be some more silver to be un-earthed ( and maybe some more gold).

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how is the return goigoing
The return unfortunately hit a dead end. I found relatives but had no way of getting in contact.
What a beautiful....really beautiful ring! Congratulations!!! Finding all those wheaties is encouraging too. Must be some more silver to be un-earthed ( and maybe some more gold).
Thanks! That median gave me a dozen or so silvers, countless wheats and some cool relics. I still go back from time to time when the ground is soft. Someone came up to me saying they lost a gold ring on it possibly but it hasn't showed up for me yet. I'm sure there is still more to find. It's about a half mile long and 50ft wide.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1853811

View attachment 1853812

View attachment 1853815

View attachment 1853817

View attachment 1853823

View attachment 1853826

View attachment 1853831

-TheMilDetector-
I love that ring!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, that’s a seriously cool ring! I hope you can find the family, that would catapult this find into the stratosphere!!

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that ring!
Me too JohnnyMac!
Congrats, that’s a seriously cool ring! I hope you can find the family, that would catapult this find into the stratosphere!!
It sure would J.Cache. I had found next of kin but had no way of getting in contact.

A little history. The owner of the ring fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. He was a lifetime airman and bombardier navigator in WWII. Sitting in the nose cone of a B-26 if I recall correctly. Can't even begin to imagine what that was like. I would have loved to return it to him but he passed away in the early 90s. He's survived by 3 children but one has since passed away. He was an Oklahoma native and have no idea how it was lost in Wisconsin. Possibly visiting family up here. I feel humbled by possessing this great piece of history and would never sell it. Perhaps I'll try to get in contact with his children again but for now it is safe and in good hands.

Another fun fact, this ring doesn't fit past my second knuckle on my pinkey! Doesn't even fit the ring finger of my 11 year old daughter. This man had very tiny hands... Probably why he was a navigator.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions