HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! Today is my day!!!!

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cant believe it, today was a normal day like any other. Just couldnt shake off the feeling like something amazing was going to happen though so i packed up the metal detector and headed out. I took the horrible drive the usual hour and a half to an old "place" because I have always dreamed of finding a gold coin at such a site. Anyway after another half hour collecting ice, food, batteries etc for the hunt I arrived and it was hotttttttttt. I could barely manage hearing any tones, due to the fact my brain was melting so severly and I knew the day would be over quick due to my good old friend heat stroke. I had managed about 20 nails and kept digging the same pieces of smashed tin before I had to go for my ice water. I set my detector down and did a 180 towards the car which was about 30 feet away. I took maybe 3 steps before a light completely blinded me across my eyes, enough for me to take a step back to regain sight. I looked down expecting to see usual colored glass shining in the sun, but it wasnt. I immediately started to shake sweat and all around freak outtt. What had caught my attention was one of the holy grails of metal detecting my bucket lister #1! A U.S. 5 dollar liberty head with lady liberty looking right at me only the date was slipped in the dirt and the rest was propped and showing fully. First thing I did was call my wife then recorded me plucking it. Id love to show the video aswell but I was overly excited and named the location, showed importa t landmarks and showed fully my license plate...lol ofc.....Anyways here she is an 1897- s liberty head 5 dollar in all her wild west glory a true cowboy coin. I feel so privileged and blessed by God today and I wish you all the best of luck with your metal detecting finds. I started my search 6 years ago for this coin, im very honored. Dont ever let people tell you what you can and cant find. Hh stay safe. 15967685369881045020388.jpg 1596768602286467108095.jpg 15967686495651651067364.jpg

Upvote 105
OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't have to worry about hitting that one with your shovel, huh? What a beautiful find!
Very blessed seemed like it was recently uncovered by recent atv activity or something...

Last edited:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not jealous, nope, not at all. If that's not banner worthy I don't know what is.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! That is an epic way to find a gold coin! I expected to read this and have you say I got a signal that I thought was junk... or something along those lines haha. CONGRATS!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find, and to have found it on the surface, must have been extra exciting.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow that is one nice looking coin - got my banner vote!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holy cow.jpg holy cow that's awesome. congrats!

OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find, and to have found it on the surface, must have been extra exciting.

Shaking so hard my knees were clanking together lol video is 360p quality due to how bad my hands shook too. Im wondering how people film so steadily.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Beautiful coin for sure. Well Done, and Congrat's to you on a Big Time Bucket Lister.:icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I borrow your eye put it on a stick lol awesome job thats a great feeling Im sure you deserve it.....Tommy

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5 gold is at the tip top of my bucket list. Congrats! Good find, eagle eyes!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Great Find! :icon_thumleft:

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome find, my father found one like it while working they had brought in some gravel to fortify a trail they use and it was sitting in the gravel. He had it for about a year then it just disappeared. I metal detected the area he found it in and found 2 silver dimes. So I guess the gravel scooped up a cache wish I knew where they moved the rest of the gravel lol. Great find wish I could find something like that.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza that is amazing!! Congrats!! That is my white whale number 1 bucket lister! I would love to see the video. Maybe you could edit and blur as needed so you can show us all without revealing important details?? Also I would love to know what "type" of site it was. Old train station, mining camp, etc?? I have always wondered what types of sites I should hunt to increase my chances of a gold coin. Any advice or insight you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Congrats again!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome find and a great story. I find things heading towards my car too, but usually with my detector on! Congratulations on an incredible day that you won't soon forget.

OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5 gold is at the tip top of my bucket list. Congrats! Good find, eagle eyes!

Thanks friend definently taking the eagle eye title now. Also good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome find, my father found one like it while working they had brought in some gravel to fortify a trail they use and it was sitting in the gravel. He had it for about a year then it just disappeared. I metal detected the area he found it in and found 2 silver dimes. So I guess the gravel scooped up a cache wish I knew where they moved the rest of the gravel lol. Great find wish I could find something like that.

Very cool story glad I can pass my own stories down now too. It was a survey camp but i knew they were paid very well based on thier job experience. I found about 30 coins total all small change but i stuck with it for years getting skunked for coins 7 out of 10 trips i went. Was pure dedication mostly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza that is amazing!! Congrats!! That is my white whale number 1 bucket lister! I would love to see the video. Maybe you could edit and blur as needed so you can show us all without revealing important details?? Also I would love to know what "type" of site it was. Old train station, mining camp, etc?? I have always wondered what types of sites I should hunt to increase my chances of a gold coin. Any advice or insight you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Congrats again!

Surveying camp and ive never edited a thing in my life lol very sorry.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Niiiiiiiiice, sh*t like that never happens to me. Big congrats and I hope you find more brother!!!!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations an a beautiful gold coin! What a thrill that must have been.. and probably still is! Thanks for showing it to us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread