This made my day!!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
A beautiful spring day in Northern Vermont, and most of the ground is now thawed except in the deep woods and shady areas. Got out to one of my favorite all yards and spent about 4 hours detecting. I had found some nice things including a silver and delft pin, and was getting ready to go. Decided to do one more sweep of the back portion of the yard and got a solid half dollar hit. Dug about a five inch plug and this is what was looking up at me. It certainly made my day....Lance

Attachments

• 1877 S half dollar front.jpg
    1877 S half dollar front.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 605
  • 1877 S half dollar back.jpg
    1877 S half dollar back.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a find we all hope to get when we go hunting, great job!!

Attachments

• BountyHunterQuickDraw2.gif
    BountyHunterQuickDraw2.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 532

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
that would certainly make my day..............probably my whole year!! excellent find!

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
awesome find, where there is one there may be more :D , i am just curious what the value would be ?, would that one coin pay for your MD. ? .

Pat.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very Nice!!!
I see Lobsterman is curious as to the value, as am I, but one point I wanted to mention was that coin looks to have been stamped off-center. This should raise the value? Yes/no?

Oops, almost forgot,,,
It don't really matter what the value is, the feeling of seeing that baby pop up out of the ground has got to be priceless... ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no desire to live back east, mainly because of the population density but I sure envy the availability of old coins from that area. I'm in OKlahoma and we are kind of a unique state, being Indian Teritory up until 1907 when statehood arrived. That makes us a really late comer to the Union. Most of the inhabitants of the state back then were either Indians or renegades. Not many old coins are found here mainly because noone had any money as most early debts were settled with produce or pigs! Then shortly after statehood came the great depression which hit this area very hard. So, an old coin to most of us is from the 1920's. A few older coins are found but nothing like back east. Of course there are a few older coins found but not in the percentage as back east and certainly not from the revolutionary war era. There are a few civil war battle sites but only one of them is commemrrated and precisely located to my knowledge. You cannot imagine what a huge event it would be in this part of the country to find a coin like the one depicted here. Congratulations!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Find,

That had to make your heart Skip a Beat ;D

Congrats !
J E F F

OP
OP
comfyinvermont

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Thank you all for the nice comments.

Jimmileo, not all places back on the east coast are crowded. I am willing to be the population per square mile is less here in Vermont than you have in Ok. We only have a population of about 600,000 in the whole state and I bet Oklahoma city has more than that.

Lobsterman. The coin is in about Very Good condition and would be worth about $25.00, but if someone offerd me $200.00 right now, I would not sell it. Its funny what value is??

Thanks again...Lance ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions