🥇 BANNER My White Whale - GOLD!!!

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been extremely hot here in Missouri - hot and dry. Almost too hot to detect... almost. Recently I borrowed and broke a 70 year old Dearborne plow. I called one of my detecting buddies and asked him if he knew anywhere I could possibly find the part I needed. He told me he thought he did and told me to bring my detector when I came up. No problem... Well, I showed up and we went to the old tractor place - no luck. (Still looking for a coulter for a 10-1 Dearborn 2 bottom plow) It was already 90 degrees so I asked if he was sure he wanted to go... He said he knew of a spot that had to have some good stuff on it and that he'd already did a bit of prospecting there. We headed that way... upon arriving it was obvious the place was very old. There was an old house foundation all grown up along with several outbuildings and barns. My buddy educated me on the history - been in the family since the 1840's... All the stuff one likes to hear. We each got our stuff set up and had a bit of a discussion about 5 tone vs. 50 tone. I have been trying to get the hang of 50 tone with the Equinox 800. I try to run wide open, so I can hear what's there - the good and bad. This place is absolutely loaded with nails and iron. Mixed in was all sorts of tones. We both started digging - trash. Foil, bits of aluminum, old bolts and nuts and just junk. I said it was hot - and there was only one tree. It was about 10 degrees cooler in the shade so I just kept circling that tree - staying in the shade. After a couple hours I got my buddies attention and told him we needed to find another spot with more shade. He agreed and called to get permission at another spot. Luck had it, she answered and said to have at it. Neither of us dug one single decent target. Not even a stinking Lincoln. Just as we were about to pack it in I got a great solid 18-19 signal and asked my buddy what he thought it could be. He guessed a bullet - so I proceeded to see how good his VDI skills were. Dug the hole, scanned the plug - not there. I took the pinpointer and swept the hole and a target sounded off on the side-wall. I used my digging knife to pry off the side and dislodged a large chunk. As the chunk popped off the side, something slid out from behind and slid to a stop in the bottom of the hole. I immediately thought "no way" and started to freak out. I had both hands around my head and just kept saying, "Oh my God" - over and over. My buddy asked me if I'd been stung or bitten by something and I told him to look in the hole. He peered into the hole and asked me what it was. I told him I couldn't look (for one thing I didn't have my glasses and can't make out details without them) and asked him to look for me. He took the item from the hole and looked at me and said, "oh my God"! There was my white whale - an 1848 gold $5 coin. I was stunned. Never in my life did I expect to find that. I've literally dug thousands of holes - always hoping for gold - but this was my first. I sat there in disbelief, just staring at the coin in my hand. 172 years ago someone held that coin and I'm sure they had big, big plans for what they were going to buy with it. For anyone out there who has found their "white whale" - they understand the emotion. For those of you still looking... keep digging and never give up. I swear, it is an incredible rush. I'm blessed to have dug this coin in front of my digging buddy and good friend. Honestly - sharing this find made if even better. Good luck to you all and thanks for reading my story. I'm hoping by sharing there will be a few more good 18-19 finds posted up in the coming weeks.

minelab gold coin 8-2020.jpg 1848 5 gold coin front.jpg 1848 5 gold back.jpg

Saftgeek-

Upvote 146

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on achieving your first BANNER on Tnet saftgeek! :occasion14:

Dave

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I missed it till it made it up there.....congrats, shes beautiful

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really all this is.... is one less gold coin I have a chance in finding.

Congratulations on earning Banner with this beauty. Awesome!

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! I've been a member here since 2007 - I never thought I'd have a banner find... but there it is! Thank you to everyone who took the time to read, comment and recommend my coin for banner. I'm extremely happy and have a video of the moment it happened but I'm not really sure how to post a video. If anyone can help me with that I'd be more than happy to share it.
Saftgeek-

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That whale still eludes me, but I'm still peg-legging the deck, eye to the telescope (so to speak) looking for him! Great find, and many more to ya!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on finding that beautiful gold and the banner as well. Your write up with the pics are outstanding as well. Very happy for you.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting for 32 years and still haven't found a gold coin. Apparently I got a little bit too hot metal detecting all day today because I had to come back and edit my post because I seem to have been so exhausted when I made the post that I forgot how long I've been detecting. Congratulations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Pirate - it's going to be in the next hole... I just know it. Today's the day! - as Mel Fischer said.

swabbysteve

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2011
southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800(with all 3coils)Whites MXT (with 2 coils)and sunray probe,
a very old Bounty Hunter (analog) Prospector (with 2 coils)
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go BIG MAN!!! For all the trash I’ve seen you haul out of a site and STILL keep digging, THIS ONE has to make all worthwhile! 👍😎👏👏👏👑🐳🥇:hello2:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Beautiful find! That must have got the heart going a million miles an hour.

Congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! A dream come true!!!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Nice find! I hope that maybe I will find one someday! My white whale is a spanish silver.
That is incredible! Congrats! A day you'll never forget. All the 18-19 signals i had today were pull tabs...
What a coincidence... all the ptab signals I dug today were also trash, same with yesterday, and the time before that.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been extremely hot here in Missouri - hot and dry. Almost too hot to detect... almost. Recently I borrowed and broke a 70 year old Dearborne plow. I called one of my detecting buddies and asked him if he knew anywhere I could possibly find the part I needed. He told me he thought he did and told me to bring my detector when I came up. No problem... Well, I showed up and we went to the old tractor place - no luck. (Still looking for a coulter for a 10-1 Dearborn 2 bottom plow) It was already 90 degrees so I asked if he was sure he wanted to go... He said he knew of a spot that had to have some good stuff on it and that he'd already did a bit of prospecting there. We headed that way... upon arriving it was obvious the place was very old. There was an old house foundation all grown up along with several outbuildings and barns. My buddy educated me on the history - been in the family since the 1840's... All the stuff one likes to hear. We each got our stuff set up and had a bit of a discussion about 5 tone vs. 50 tone. I have been trying to get the hang of 50 tone with the Equinox 800. I try to run wide open, so I can hear what's there - the good and bad. This place is absolutely loaded with nails and iron. Mixed in was all sorts of tones. We both started digging - trash. Foil, bits of aluminum, old bolts and nuts and just junk. I said it was hot - and there was only one tree. It was about 10 degrees cooler in the shade so I just kept circling that tree - staying in the shade. After a couple hours I got my buddies attention and told him we needed to find another spot with more shade. He agreed and called to get permission at another spot. Luck had it, she answered and said to have at it. Neither of us dug one single decent target. Not even a stinking Lincoln. Just as we were about to pack it in I got a great solid 18-19 signal and asked my buddy what he thought it could be. He guessed a bullet - so I proceeded to see how good his VDI skills were. Dug the hole, scanned the plug - not there. I took the pinpointer and swept the hole and a target sounded off on the side-wall. I used my digging knife to pry off the side and dislodged a large chunk. As the chunk popped off the side, something slid out from behind and slid to a stop in the bottom of the hole. I immediately thought "no way" and started to freak out. I had both hands around my head and just kept saying, "Oh my God" - over and over. My buddy asked me if I'd been stung or bitten by something and I told him to look in the hole. He peered into the hole and asked me what it was. I told him I couldn't look (for one thing I didn't have my glasses and can't make out details without them) and asked him to look for me. He took the item from the hole and looked at me and said, "oh my God"! There was my white whale - an 1848 gold $5 coin. I was stunned. Never in my life did I expect to find that. I've literally dug thousands of holes - always hoping for gold - but this was my first. I sat there in disbelief, just staring at the coin in my hand. 172 years ago someone held that coin and I'm sure they had big, big plans for what they were going to buy with it. For anyone out there who has found their "white whale" - they understand the emotion. For those of you still looking... keep digging and never give up. I swear, it is an incredible rush. I'm blessed to have dug this coin in front of my digging buddy and good friend. Honestly - sharing this find made if even better. Good luck to you all and thanks for reading my story. I'm hoping by sharing there will be a few more good 18-19 finds posted up in the coming weeks.

View attachment 1859477 View attachment 1859478 View attachment 1859479

Saftgeek-

A HUGE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS On your White Whale , Ill keep hunting mine but until then I had to buy 1 .
GD

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5 gold coin and a pre-california gold rush piece as well. Love the pic of the site as well. Congrats! My 18-19s are all bullet casings, but your find is the reason I keep digging them! Thanks for showing!

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool to see a gold coin found in the Midwest! This was found in Missouri or am i mistaken?

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on both the find and the banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread