🥇 BANNER My White Whale - GOLD!!!

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been extremely hot here in Missouri - hot and dry. Almost too hot to detect... almost. Recently I borrowed and broke a 70 year old Dearborne plow. I called one of my detecting buddies and asked him if he knew anywhere I could possibly find the part I needed. He told me he thought he did and told me to bring my detector when I came up. No problem... Well, I showed up and we went to the old tractor place - no luck. (Still looking for a coulter for a 10-1 Dearborn 2 bottom plow) It was already 90 degrees so I asked if he was sure he wanted to go... He said he knew of a spot that had to have some good stuff on it and that he'd already did a bit of prospecting there. We headed that way... upon arriving it was obvious the place was very old. There was an old house foundation all grown up along with several outbuildings and barns. My buddy educated me on the history - been in the family since the 1840's... All the stuff one likes to hear. We each got our stuff set up and had a bit of a discussion about 5 tone vs. 50 tone. I have been trying to get the hang of 50 tone with the Equinox 800. I try to run wide open, so I can hear what's there - the good and bad. This place is absolutely loaded with nails and iron. Mixed in was all sorts of tones. We both started digging - trash. Foil, bits of aluminum, old bolts and nuts and just junk. I said it was hot - and there was only one tree. It was about 10 degrees cooler in the shade so I just kept circling that tree - staying in the shade. After a couple hours I got my buddies attention and told him we needed to find another spot with more shade. He agreed and called to get permission at another spot. Luck had it, she answered and said to have at it. Neither of us dug one single decent target. Not even a stinking Lincoln. Just as we were about to pack it in I got a great solid 18-19 signal and asked my buddy what he thought it could be. He guessed a bullet - so I proceeded to see how good his VDI skills were. Dug the hole, scanned the plug - not there. I took the pinpointer and swept the hole and a target sounded off on the side-wall. I used my digging knife to pry off the side and dislodged a large chunk. As the chunk popped off the side, something slid out from behind and slid to a stop in the bottom of the hole. I immediately thought "no way" and started to freak out. I had both hands around my head and just kept saying, "Oh my God" - over and over. My buddy asked me if I'd been stung or bitten by something and I told him to look in the hole. He peered into the hole and asked me what it was. I told him I couldn't look (for one thing I didn't have my glasses and can't make out details without them) and asked him to look for me. He took the item from the hole and looked at me and said, "oh my God"! There was my white whale - an 1848 gold $5 coin. I was stunned. Never in my life did I expect to find that. I've literally dug thousands of holes - always hoping for gold - but this was my first. I sat there in disbelief, just staring at the coin in my hand. 172 years ago someone held that coin and I'm sure they had big, big plans for what they were going to buy with it. For anyone out there who has found their "white whale" - they understand the emotion. For those of you still looking... keep digging and never give up. I swear, it is an incredible rush. I'm blessed to have dug this coin in front of my digging buddy and good friend. Honestly - sharing this find made if even better. Good luck to you all and thanks for reading my story. I'm hoping by sharing there will be a few more good 18-19 finds posted up in the coming weeks.

minelab gold coin 8-2020.jpg 1848 5 gold coin front.jpg 1848 5 gold back.jpg

Saftgeek-

Upvote 146

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:thumbsup:Congratulations!!!! I don't think that feeling ever goes away.. Not to sound greedy but could there be one more waiting for and you're buddy??:cross:

Racso

Apr 26, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the holy grails of detecting and a banner. Congrats on the great find and welcome to the club :occasion14:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome awesome awesome find! Congrats on that bucket lister!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations are in order. I’m awestruck every time someone finds a gold coin. That is a beauty! Be as giddy as you want, for as long as you want.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer find, big congrats! Banner! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a fantastic gold coin. I would love to find something like that. Nice story too. I say banner!

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible! Congrats! A day you'll never forget. All the 18-19 signals i had today were pull tabs...

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!!! Congrats!!!! Awesome Detail!!!!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations!

:weee:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner find all day long!:notworthy:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful! Banner vote from me, too! Congratulations!

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a joy it was to read your post. Congrats! And I hope it's not the last!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on a nice looking coin.
Your doing the right ring running it open with no disc, but don't pay too much attention to your numbers. Otherwise just like your buddy you may be thinking bullet or foil or whatever.
'' I'm hoping by sharing there will be a few more good 18-19 finds posted up in the coming weeks.''
Even that same coin in different soil, different depth, on its edge or by a nail etc etc will hit at a different number, so anyone reading wanting to find gold should put numbers out of their brain.

PS. I voted banner for the story as much as the condition of your first gold coin.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread