CIVIL WAR DIGS WITH BAYONET.

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel

Hi Everybody,

I got to spent a few hours doing some relic hunting yesterday and was AMAZED at what I found. Found about 9 pieces of artillery shrapnel. Soon ill be able to put back together some of these pieces. ;D But what really got me was the Civil War bayonet. I never expected any of these were still lying around out there. I believe I hit a fire pit because out of the same hole I found some brick and 19th century nails. Time was running out so ill be back there to really dig down deeper into it. The other items seem to be From wagons or such. Not really sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ill be sure to post the bayonet after it finished cleaning.

Attachments

• 000_1781.jpg
    000_1781.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 941
  • 000_1784.jpg
    000_1784.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 940
  • Bayonet1.jpg
    Bayonet1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 927
  • 1111307A.jpg
    1111307A.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 935
  • Whatsit.jpg
    Whatsit.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronin, that bayonet is extreme! If you decide to have it cleaned, PLEASE post a pic. . . we'd all love to see how it turned out!

Great stuff!

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
My lucky towel strikes again!!!!! can I have it back? Awesome finds, that bayonet is way too cool. I hope you saved some for me . Maybe there will be some cool finds to be had on saturday, see you then.

G

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Whippetdog said:
My lucky towel strikes again!!!!! can I have it back? Awesome finds, that bayonet is way too cool. I hope you saved some for me . Maybe there will be some cool finds to be had on saturday, see you then.

G

Sure thing sir, just allow me to move by BAYONET off first..... ;D :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'(

diggergrl

Jul 29, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Awesome finds!!! Could the shorter item in the second picture down be a pocket knife? It looks like one that has been rusted shut in the photo!

DG

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Way to go Ronin

Finding a bayonet is just about as extreme as one can go.

Maybe you will find the weapon it was attached to next... hope you do!

Sanat

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Congratulations.
A bayonet is on my list, but I know the chances are slim.
You give us all hope that persistence pays off. ;D

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
diggergrl said:
Awesome finds!!! Could the shorter item in the second picture down be a pocket knife? It looks like one that has been rusted shut in the photo!

DG

Hey DG, I think your right about that being a pocket knife. I found 3 this week. I'm going to try and run them thru electrolysis to see what happens. Ill post them when there clean. Thanks for looking.

Ronin9868

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watercolor said:
Ronin, that bayonet is extreme! If you decide to have it cleaned, PLEASE post a pic. . . we'd all love to see how it turned out!

Great stuff!

I agree. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Very nice find. Congrats.
-MM-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look's like you are definetley at a hot spot Ronin with all the artillery piece's.Awesome find on the bayonet,one also on my list.....It should clean up pretty well by the look's of it.Post some pic's later!Congrat's and keep em' comin'.....

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just to cool!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Roy, awesome spot that you got access to, that church sure is paying off. Wow, a bayonet!!! :o :o Thats awesome! Gary, when we gonna hit your brothers farm? Well, good luck my friend, I may see you this weekend.

Josh

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
oh my god good for you .I'm glad that you posted these finds, because this subject has been bothering me for some time!!!!!.there is a post on here where they are talking about saving some for future generations to uncover the past history of our nation. if we don"t get it now there will be nothing left in the next one hundred years from now. for any one to uncover,i have been trying my a$$ off to get on a spot where i can be sure to uncover some piece of history to make us all proud !!!! but the construction guy in charge of the site told me flat out that he would love for me to get in there !!!!but if i was to find any thing of historical value to the nation or town. that the site could get shut down for a period, or gotten made into a historical site. and they would lose all the money that they spent to prepare the property, for town houses, this is by no means is a small piece of property,but if i was to find something of great value i don"t know if i would be able to keep my mouth shut, and only walk away with what i found and not say where it was from....mike

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That bayonet is a nice find.

Can't wait to see what it looks like all cleaned up.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Ronin9868

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
mike in pa said:
oh my god good for you .I'm glad that you posted these finds, because this subject has been bothering me for some time!!!!!.there is a post on here where they are talking about saving some for future generations to uncover the past history of our nation. if we don"t get it now there will be nothing left in the next one hundred years from now. for any one to uncover,i have been trying my a$$ off to get on a spot where i can be sure to uncover some piece of history to make us all proud !!!! but the construction guy in charge of the site told me flat out that he would love for me to get in there !!!!but if i was to find any thing of historical value to the nation or town. that the site could get shut down for a period, or gotten made into a historical site. and they would lose all the money that they spent to prepare the property, for town houses, this is by no means is a small piece of property,but if i was to find something of great value i don"t know if i would be able to keep my mouth shut, and only walk away with what i found and not say where it was from....mike

Hi Mike,
I understand what the contractor is saying but man that really stinks! They are building over these sites destroying the history forever. I made and arrangement with a site to donate all I find for them to display. I like to have a nice collection but just digging something great is reward enough. Pretty soon CW relic hunting will be few and far between as progress cements the ground. Good luck and don't give up.

HH Ronin9868

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds!!! Man, I remember digging the front 8" section of a bayonet a few years back, it's one of my
fav items in my collection. Now if I could only find my 1st belt or box plate ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread