Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight I finally dug a SLQ with a date. It’s a crusty one though.... I think this stuff comes off eventually in vinegar but other suggestion are welcome! Also managed a slick Barber dime the wheatie.

85BE891E-1999-4219-AE9A-78E55FE28B52.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• D26F88AF-09FF-4442-954F-AA6E7AE6D6AA.jpeg
    D26F88AF-09FF-4442-954F-AA6E7AE6D6AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Upvote 23

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use aluminum foil, vinegar, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. You get a small pan or anything that will hold liquid that you can heat up on the stove. Line it with the aluminum foil shiny side up. Put the vinegar, salt, and baking soda in and boil it. Drop the coin in for a couple minutes and the stuff will come right off when you use a cloth on it. I'm sure you know cleaning it devalues it. Also you only need a little vinegar just enough to completely submerge the coin. You can use this method if you want all that off quick.

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use aluminum foil, vinegar, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. You get a small pan or anything that will hold liquid that you can heat up on the stove. Line it with the aluminum foil shiny side up. Put the vinegar, salt, and baking soda in and boil it. Drop the coin in for a couple minutes and the stuff will come right off when you use a cloth on it. I'm sure you know cleaning it devalues it. Also you only need a little vinegar just enough to completely submerge the coin. You can use this method if you want all that off quick.

Thank you, I very well may try that. I think cleaning a coin this crusty isn’t going to hurt the value.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I very well may try that. I think cleaning a coin this crusty isn’t going to hurt the value.
Then that will be best will make it shine like new in only a a few minutes I always do it on silver that is heavily tarnished. It is a quick effective tarnish remover. Let me know how it goes if you try it and I'm interested in seeing the out come.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to boil that one in the solution for about 5 minutes. You then after you take it out put a little tooth paste on a cloth and buff out the remaining black tarnish it should come right off. I often buff more junk silver coin with a tooth brush but I think that leaves tiny scratches so the cloth method may work better.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice saves!! I’ve only dug one SLQ with a date, happens to be a ‘27 also

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congradulations on the Standing Liberty Quarter. I have used elecrocsis cleaing coins silver even nickels for long time. In Past month ive dug a bunch of silver coins that were tarnished like the ons you have from being in mud exposed to water.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For cleaning some of my silver finds I use a silver jewelry cloth. I think I bought mine from Kay jewlers. I've had it along time. Its pretty ugly now. But it will still bring back a great shine

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that quarter looks to be in pretty good shape actually. I'd be tempted to leave it alone myself, though I am real curious how it cleans up using the technique that JVA suggested.Congrats.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might clean it up a little.... but too shiny does not look good if you ask me.

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might clean it up a little.... but too shiny does not look good if you ask me.

I agree, I don’t want a mirror-like high polish. Old silver should have a dull-white tone. But I also am not crazy about The look of this crusty stuff.

Part of the reason I want to clean it is that I seem to find a good amount of silver coins with this crust on them. Its more than tarnish and it comes out of the ground a light gray color but will turn black after a day or two of being exposed to air.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking coin, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Squirrel322

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got around to cleaning this SLQ. The results are not the most desirable but I think it’s a big improvement over the crusty.

For this result I lined a Pyrex dish with tin foil, shiny-side up. I placed the coin in the dish and filled it about half full with water. Then heated the dish on the stove-top to a simmer and added a spoon full of baking soda. I let it simmer a half hour or so, adding more baking soda if needed. I took it out, rinsed it and gently rubbed the coin with liquid soap. Then repeated the process as needed to clean the coin. While the liquid soap is gentler on the coin, you can also use your bare finger or a mild abrasive like baking soda, toothpaste or GoJo.

The Canadian quarter I found earlier this summer and it was covered with the same crust. I have had it soaking in vinegar for weeks. The vinegar cleaned the crust off but left a spotty thick black tarnish that wasn’t improving in the vinegar. I did the tin-foil baking soda method on it and it cleaned up.

53957B5E-8544-4603-B7A9-8288BBA1018B.jpeg
C3CA3012-C5B2-4377-B28D-93714B9B60C3.jpeg
7A77E337-801B-481A-8E76-AD8D5A83B9D9.jpeg
97231363-0BF5-49D4-BC84-9AC070F5E111.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread