jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quick hunt this morning in my backyard when I came upon a deep signal with the nox 800. it was ringing a little bit above the copper range 22-25. dug the plug and it was sitting about 7-8 inches in the ground. Its really toasted and really thin and could just be a round piece of metal. all I can make out is the number "7" on the right side of the coin. I know its a long shot without other details but A) is this in fact a copper coin? B) anybody have any idea what hammered coppers had the date on the right side? copper-3.jpg copper-2.jpg copper-1.jpg

Upvote 3

keossvin

Mar 2, 2016
Oss
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250, garret ace 300I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Def a hammered. Dug them alot here in the Netherlands.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its more likely a "Milled Coin", but its hard to tell without a date. They started milling coins in the 1600's.

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its more likely a "Milled Coin", but its hard to tell without a date. They started milling coins in the 1600's.

thank you for the input! I wish it had more detail, when did they stop milling/hammering coins?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a copper cent run over by a train.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree with the poster from Netherlands that it's hammered. It's appears to have some writing at about the 7 o'clock position in your pic. Don't clean it as you'll lose any detail that might be left. Where do you see the 7? What part of NJ was it found in? Interesting find. :thumbsup:

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's awesome! I found this in New Jersey.

Techichally they still mill coins it means they are machine pressed. Just way more efficient now, depending on the area they stopped hammering mid 1500's to the late 1600's from what I've read.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please rotate the image 180 degrees. I think its not a "7" but part of a larger design. And it's upside down...I think.

keossvin

Mar 2, 2016
Oss
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250, garret ace 300I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I disagree with the poster from Netherlands that it's hammered. It's appears to have some writing at about the 7 o'clock position in your pic. Don't clean it as you'll lose any detail that might be left. Where do you see the 7? What part of NJ was it found in? Interesting find. :thumbsup:

I always refer to them as hammered but didnt know they were machine made. Even if they are stamped by a heavy weight its still a form of hammering isnโ€™t it ? Just like the KG coppers. Not an expert in any of this but of anyone is able to clarify, thanks in advance.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smokey, is this any better?

copper-3-2.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have a best guess...and that is that it started out life as an early British copper. Those were milled coins. THEN someone took it and flattened it. A lot of times the native Americans would do that. I have one from a well known Rev War battle site the Indians were highly involved in and that's what they did to mine, and then cut two notches to hold it where they wanted it with string. Just a guess that's what it started out to be but it was never holed or made to accommodate a thread for wearing.

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it was found in northwest jersey, near highway 78 a few miles from the Delaware River. I circled the "7" copper-1.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for posting the pic. I'm not sure that's a "7" as the stem is very long and it's very angular in shape for a presumably old coin. Hopefully someone here can provide an ID. Nice find whatever it is. :thumbsup:

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always refer to them as hammered but didnt know they were machine made. Even if they are stamped by a heavy weight its still a form of hammering isnโ€™t it ? Just like the KG coppers. Not an expert in any of this but of anyone is able to clarify, thanks in advance.

Hammered means they were placed betwixt 2 dies by hand and someone whacked the dies with an actual hammer until the design appeared. Hammereds are known for their imperfections ie off center, weak strike, double strike, because each one was placed and whacked differently.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread