King George III Counterfeit Halfpenny

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my first year of detecting which I recently wrapped up I was fortunate to find six KGII halfpennies, four of them in VG condition. Today in a short day in the field I found my first KG III Halfpenny. This is a counterfeit as so many in circulation were. It doesn't seem worn so much from use, the obverse looks like a poor strike while the reverse has great detail except for the date. Not sure if anyone has cataloged the known variations and tracked down some of the minters.

But I was happy to find it because it gave me confirmation that the colonials were there and farming. I wonder how old the nearby cellar pit might be. Although in general we are happier finding silver and gold, there is something deeply satisfying about pulling these large colonial and early American Cents out of the ground. I savor the moments. The Nox 800 gave it a solid 23 at four inches depth.

tres148.jpg tres149.jpg

Upvote 17

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want one soooo bad. I've dug largies, old tokens, and a King William IV but no KGII or KGIIIs. Congrats on the nice find, it's especially cool since it is a colonial counterfeit.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so excited to find the British coppers and recently found my first three Matrons. But I like many are sentimental about the US First Mint in Philadelphia. I prize the early Draped Bust Cents having found three. Months after getting a White's Spectra V3i at the beginning of this hobby I found this 1798 beauty. My ultimate goal is a Fugio.

colcoin2.jpg

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you hve been doing very well in the LC department. Congratulations on a great first year.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID Iron Patch. Learning that history and connecting to it motivates me to get out in the field.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! :occasion14:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn, nice hp real or no and that cent is gorgeous

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Machin's Mills HP weighs in at 7.93 g vs the 10 g the Regal KG III HP first issue in 1770. The weak strike on the date which carries over to the upper obverse is caused by an unevenly thinner planchet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread