Brooch Field & Copse Field - Roman Billion & Mystery Roman Silver...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After getting 20 Roman bronze in 1 hr off the Roman Wood Site on Saturday we were keen to see if the other Roman Sites nearby produced as well. We were somewhat stunned as we covered these sites this year after a deep plough & although they turned the beans in no more than 6 inches (we think) it seems to have brought up more than the deeper plough.
We started on Brooch Field & ended up with 29 bronzes (& 2 Silver) in 3.5 hrs, but we did a quick hour on the Copse Field & got 12 bronze coins.
In this heat 4.5 hours was plenty, but we now know that all the sites in this area (4 plus 2 small annexes) need re-doing as they all had the same treatment. Also as luck would have it, they have further disced down all the fields just before we arrived.

41 Roman Bronze Coins - 1 nice one of Allectus
Bit of a Roman Spoon
Roman Hob-Nail
2 Fibula Catchplates
Roman Pin-Head
Roman Pot Shard with partial Potter Mark
Rose Farthing
1922 Florin (big coin to have missed)
Billion (debased silver) of Gallienus
A Mystery Roman Silver that we need the British Museums help on, its not in any of our books, & from what we can tell it might be a Mule of the Obverse of Domitian, & the reverse of Vespasian.:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 34

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like good quality silver. Interested what the BM has to say. And again stunning amount of coinss there!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going as always! Good luck with the mystery silver ID..:notworthy:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cru , What are the odds of TWO Different MULE coins being found in world in a couple of days . One Roman one found based on your opinion and the recent auction of the 2000 Australian Dollar for $4000 which was reported on Google in the last few days.
A Rare coin a week for 14 years Amazing TP

How can a hammered coin have a strike mistake on the mill edge that does not exist ? Might be not at all

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the PM Jamie D.

Jamie thinks the Obverse is Vespasian which would make more sense. It looked like the V was a D & its not the usual ugly mug of Vespasians bust. (this will be confirmed later if true)

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked my email from the BM, it's confirmed Jamie D's keen eye:

''It’s a little tricky to work out from the photos alone, but I think this is probably the early Vespasian type before he gets a bit more thick set and jowly! I think the first letter after CAESAR in the obverse legend is probably a V rather than a D, and it looks like an S before IANVS from the images at least – the size and spacing of the lettering would fit better with Vespasian. It would be a less common obverse legend for the first issue of Domitian if it read IMP CAESAR DOMITIANVS AVG too and the Vespasian type is much more regularly seen.

I think it is as follows:

A silver Roman denarius of Vespasian (AD 69-79), probably dating to the period c.AD 69 (Reece period 4)
Obverse: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG, Laureate head right
Reverse: COS ITER TR POT, Pax seated left holding branch and caduceus(?)
Mint of Rome
Cf. RIC I (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] ed.), p. 60, no. 29''

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread