JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a park I've been searching in a lot. They had dug new water lines and had a lot of dirt moved around working in that area this came up. I'll also show why I've hit this park hard as a little bit of researched showed good chances of finding stuff. Yeah I know showing why I search this park a lot doesn't benefit me but it is a public area anyways and I'm not greedy. 20200916_103302.jpg 20200916_103321.jpg Screenshot_20200916-103059_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200916-103048_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 12
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing little researched showed the whole park once was filled with homes.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also does anyone think it'd be worth hitting the baseball field? It in the old aerial is a cleared area for some reason. I haven't checked it out yet.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a neat little park. The knife is cool too. If I were you Id search the areas between the road and where the front yards would have been. When does the baseball field show up in the arial pics? Id say if it popped up in the 50s or 60s go for it. Im sure the kids may have sandlot style pick up games before there was a field too. Is that a BMX race track I see too? Man I wish I had the stamina to do that again lol I raced for 6 years.. What a blast.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you come across a lot of gravel you might be in an old driveway ,driveways often produce some coins.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kent was a cutlery brand sold by Woolworth's five and dime stores. Your knife was made for them by Camillus Cutlery Co circa 1930s.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a neat little park. The knife is cool too. If I were you Id search the areas between the road and where the front yards would have been. When does the baseball field show up in the arial pics? Id say if it popped up in the 50s or 60s go for it. Im sure the kids may have sandlot style pick up games before there was a field too. Is that a BMX race track I see too? Man I wish I had the stamina to do that again lol I raced for 6 years.. What a blast.
Yeah it is a bmx park no longer in use.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kent was a cutlery brand sold by Woolworth's five and dime stores. Your knife was made for them by Camillus Cutlery Co circa 1930s.
Thank you for the information

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's from the 1930s, that pocketknife is in great condition. Kudos to you for your in-depth research too John. :notworthy:
On these inner-city sites, there was often activity of some sort prior to modern development.
But it's only by taking the time to research that you discovered this.

Interesting stuff… :thumbsup:

"The railroad reached Atwater in the 1870s, and a town grew up. The first post office opened in 1880. Atwater incorporated in 1922. The name honors Marshall D. Atwater, a wheat farmer whose land was used by the railroad for its station. North of the town is Castle Air Force Base the former World War Merced Army Airfield. On May 15, 2020, Atwater declared itself a business ‘sanctuary city’ during the coronavirus pandemic."

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's from the 1930s, that pocketknife is in great condition. Kudos to you for your in-depth research too John. :notworthy:
On these inner-city sites, there was often activity of some sort prior to modern development.
But it's only by taking the time to research that you discovered this.

Interesting stuff… [emoji106]

"The railroad reached Atwater in the 1870s, and a town grew up. The first post office opened in 1880. Atwater incorporated in 1922. The name honors Marshall D. Atwater, a wheat farmer whose land was used by the railroad for its station. North of the town is Castle Air Force Base the former World War Merced Army Airfield. On May 15, 2020, Atwater declared itself a business ‘sanctuary city’ during the coronavirus pandemic."
I know the history of my area well I love history so I'm quite versed on the central valley's history. I have an appreciation for history. Thank you for the time to make your comment and add some history.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice knife find. If I were you, I would definitely hunt the old baseball field. You might find some good stuff, and we all like spending time detecting!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The baseball field may have had a concession stand and that would be a likely spot to find some older silver coins if your map shows a small building around the ball field that may be the concession stand. Anywhere a throwing action occurred is a good chance of finding rings that flew off of a hand during the throwing motion so a baseball field or football field are always good spots to check out.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the cool knife. Definitely detect the baseball field and possible concession stands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread