Help needed to identify rough stones and chips, thoughts please!

Rpmk

Sep 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I have little experience with gemstones and found these with a collection of jewellery at auction. Not the most exciting treasure hunt but an unexpected find still!

I understand its difficult to tell from photos but can anyone see anything that would indicate what they are? I assumed the chips were maybe garnets? DSC_4841.JPG DSC_4837.JPG

Any advice or information from the more knowledgeable will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

Rpmk

Sep 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what the backs look like, if that helps
DSC_4834.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

The hexagonal columnar crystal form pretty much unquestionably says they're rough rubies. Before you get too excited, from what I can see, there is nothing there which could be said to be gem quality, so the value is not high.

To give you an idea, I picked this one up (almost an inch across) from a rock&gem shop for under $5

R0116 - Ruby.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rpmk

Sep 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your reply! I think you've cracked it, looks spot on! Any thoughts on the little chips? They vary from pink to grey and orange, some with dark lines running through them and others clear.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure everything is rough rubies

OP
OP
R

Rpmk

Sep 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! Thanks so much for the info ��

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to think the little ones may be garnets. They will NOT scratch one of the corundums, but the corundums will scratch the garnets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions