Is this a "spun back" button? And an old horseshoe - age?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I squeezed in one more hunt this morning, returning to a farm field where we think we've found the outline of an old out-building. Detecting around that outline I found a lot of iron, which I was digging on purpose. In the first picture the stuff near the horseshoe was all found together near the building outline; a lot of the "newer" stuff (including the hunting arrow tip) was found some distance away.

Anyway, is the button that I found a "spun back" button? I've tried to include a few pictures of the circular lines I see on the back. I've been researching and that what it seems to be, but I'm looking for confirmation please. Would that put its age in the late 1700's to early 1800's?
Also, what is up with that rust on the front? Did the shaft come through to the front? Or is that rust on the front just...rust on the front? Should I scrape it off? (In one of the pics that I took through a magnifying glass you'll see that there's a crack in the rust).

One more question for you experts: is that horseshoe old too? I think it is, based on the basic construction and the square nails still in it. (I cleaned out the two empty square nail holes will a poking device).

Oh the shotgun head stamp is "Rem-UMC Nitro Club", pre-WW2.

Thanks for your responses and for looking!

- Brian

w0KDhtN.jpg
y4ucWtP.jpg 1BooChY.jpg ldkovSt.jpg qCBjtZl.jpg RXFZvfq.jpg

uz04DBF.jpg epgP8EM.jpg BOd791g.jpg

Upvote 4

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's a spun back tombac. The spinning refers to the method of finishing the button which would have been cast and then hand spun on a lathe to smooth the back. The rust is actually what's left of the shank. Most tombacs had brass or copper shanks that were inserted into the mold and the button cast around them, but others had iron which usually rusts away completely in the ground. As for the age, it was likely manufactured in the last quarter of the 18th century, but may not have been lost or discarded until several decades later.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's a spun back tombac. The spinning refers to the method of finishing the button which would have been cast and then hand spun on a lathe to smooth the back. The rust is actually what's left of the shank. Most tombacs had brass or copper shanks that were inserted into the mold and the button cast around them, but others had iron which usually rusts away completely in the ground. As for the age, it was likely manufactured in the last quarter of the 18th century, but may not have been lost or discarded until several decades later.
Disagree. I find these all the time, the hole goes all the way throw the circular devise. I've never been sure of the function but I do know its probably NOT a button.
PS. Unless its not the common 'washer type' (don't know how to describe these, once thought they were wick adjusters) thing I find with a rusty stem, & they took a button & put a hole through it as a replacement part??

Last edited:
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Disagree. I find these all the time, the hole goes all the way throw the circular devise. I've never been sure of the function but I do know its probably NOT a button.
PS. Unless its not the common 'washer type' (don't know how to describe these, once thought they were wick adjusters) thing I find with a rusty stem, & they took a button & put a hole through it as a replacement part??

CRUSADER you know I have great respect for your opinion on items. (We’ve PM’d a few times on things)

In this case, though, i have to disagree with your disagreement. It’s definitely a button.
I looked back at the pictures I posted and realized I did not send one that shows the broken shank clearly - I’m sorry about that. Here’s one:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1600690617.563990.jpg

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER you know I have great respect for your opinion on items. (We’ve PM’d a few times on things)

In this case, though, i have to disagree with your disagreement. It’s definitely a button.
I looked back at the pictures I posted and realized I did not send one that shows the broken shank clearly - I’m sorry about that. Here’s one:
View attachment 1865233
No worries, just looked like a common find I get. An iron shank on a tombac would be very unusual. But that seems to be what you have!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the horseshoe and button! :icon_thumleft:

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, just looked like a common find I get. An iron shank on a tombac would be very unusual. But that seems to be what you have!

It's definitely less common, I'd say 5% or so of the tombacs I dig, but I just found another on Saturday so I expect it was a slightly cheaper option on the market at the time. The pressure from the rust formation sometimes punches through the face of the button which is why there will occasionally be rust on both sides.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few iron shanked spun back tombacs like that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few iron shanked spun back tombacs like that.
In which case they must be more common over there for some reason.
I get about 800 tombacs a year & never had one.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In which case they must be more common over there for some reason.
I get about 800 tombacs a year & never had one.
That's weird because I thought that !8th century tombacs were manufactured in England?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this a "spun back" button? And an old horseshoe - age?

Found another one of those tombac buttons today with the iron (?) shank.
Just thought I’d offer an update.

New one is at top
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933396.458879.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1610933410.849355.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions