Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I go out yesterday with a mission in mind. This story goes back to the first years when I started detecting over 16 years ago. I remember getting permission on an old farm and after talking with the farmer’s wife, she said, if you happen to find a gold ring that, her husband lost his wedding ring the day after they wed many years ago. The years fly by and after many detectorist try looking on their land for the ring with no luck.
Therefore, to understand what I was dealing with, you have to picture hundreds of acres and this task would have been literally looking for a needle in a haystack. There was one thing that stuck out in my mind from so many years ago when I arrived on scene, which was...the farmer, stated he was not sure where he lost it and retraced his steps many times and he mentioned it may even been in the barns or “manure pile”.
Well I am detecting for the better part of 3 hours around an old barn, after seeing a manure pile, I walk towards the pile and on the side of roadway, I get this 14 signal on the Equinox. I flip over the plug and I see the site of the golden “O”. I just had the feeling instantly that I have found the elusive ring.
After this, I went to the house and asked the farmer and his wife to step outside, in which they seemed confused. I then asked his wife, what did your husband lose many years ago that you wished was returned, if found? After I have was shown the ring to both of them, they became overwhelmed by emotions and I got the biggest hug from his wife, as she was in shock. His wife then did stated that we both thought another detectorist may found and pocketed the ring. She went on further to say to me that, it would have been so easy for you to take the ring without anyone known better and at the price of gold right now. I stated that “where is the fun in that”. I have completed many bucket listers in my life during my time as a detectorist and found property pins, chains and tractor parts; however, there was no greater feeling to return something so meaningful to someone and to see the expressions on their faces. I am still in disbelief that I actually found this ring. Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• 20200927_133431.jpg
    20200927_133431.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • 20200927_133546.jpg
    20200927_133546.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 132
  • image000002(1).jpg
    image000002(1).jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 135

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some good karma

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Patriot,

Great find and an even better story. Definitely worthy of an Honorable Mention. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story! Congrats for a job very well done!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! And congratulations on your honesty and integrity1 You are a walking advertisement for the best in treasure hunting. Thanks!

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story, and display of proper humanity. Good will come back to you.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on finding the ring, There's nothing like a return.Congrats big time.:occasion14:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great story and some real nice PR for the hobby - well done !

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible story and Congrats for being so determined to find it! This is above an Honorable Mention!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
And that's why an Honorable Mention is such a special recognition. It certainly would have been easy to pocket that beauty and act like you hadn't found it. But, you did the honorable thing and made a couple of old folks smile, probably cry a little, and best of all, restored a bit of their faith in humanity. Imagine how they feel about detectorists now!

A well deserved Honorable Mention from me sir!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
What an awesome find. 16 years! Wow! Very, very honorable! It's great to hear a story like this. Honorable Mention, definitely.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Patriot, and nice picture. That Farmers hand shows a lifetime of hard work.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You know I've been to that very same farm with some of the other guys and we were always on the lookout for that ring.
...Andy even turned one in I think and it was given back because it wasnt her gold ring !! lol
Great job finding that...I hope it keeps the door open that farm....such a great site and bunch of fields!
My hat is off to you sir

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate that this story came to life again because it is definitely a moving story. The high you got when you saw that ring that the lady brought up at the Tetris have went all over the fields and you look down at a 14 and there it is the ring she was talking about I bet that was the best high in the world seeing their reaction priceless money can’t buy that feeling. That one will probably have a seat for you at the feet of Almighty God :)

Great story

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread