[BANNER] Jackpot! Untouched Colonial Homestead and a Colonial Copper Cache!!! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: Jackpot! Untouched Colonial Homestead and a Colonial Copper Cache!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    5235 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Absolutely dream site ! I agree with your cache assessment - since the finds came out of such a small area. Great presentation of pics and the related write up ! Banner vote is on the way !!!

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's MX Sport, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    937 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    This is the site that we colonial hunters dream of. I'm voting "BANNER" on this.
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5230 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Holy Smokes Paleo! That is indeed a hunt that us cellar hole hunters dream about ! Awesome coppers in great shape, a USA button, Spanish silver, ornate shoe buckles and buttons! The only thing missing is a flowing hair half disme . That Nova is almost as cool though. If this hunt isn't on the Banner soon, I am taking my toys and going home.

We all know how hard it is to find a virgin site these days.......I am guessing there were no stone walls to give this site away? Yep, I would work that site for years to come. It will keep giving.
    Thank you! And you are correct on the walls; the hillside to the east is covered in a large grid of stone walls, but there's nothing directly around this site. It's a very cool spot in terms of topography, they built it on a rise above the roadbed, but it slopes very steeply down the other three sides to a large flat area along the creek. In the spring I'm sure that whole area flooded out so I don't think they planted on that ground, but it must have made the house feel like a castle surrounded by a moat every year!

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5230 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    That's the spot most detectorists will spend their lives looking to find. Finding an early state-issued copper in well-preserved condition is a win-win. To find so many coins is win-win-winning. Most coppers, including well-preserved coppers usually bear one side with more deterioration than the opposite side; your coins are the rare exception, so indeed the soil was quite benign. Well-deserved banner vote submitted not only for these tremendous recoveries, but for all the effort with this exceptional post in providing all the right details, excellent photos, and detailed information on the coppers - date, variety, and so forth. .
    Thank you so much for your vote!

The condition in these really is a minor miracle and I have to credit that with having a die variety for each of the state coppers! I have a pictorial database of the Connecticut copper varieties I put together, but unless 90% of the features can be seen on both sides it's hard to lock it down. Normally even a minor amount of ground action will wipe out the little stars and periods that are diagnostic. I'm happy if I can just get the date, but it really is awesome to have the Miller numbers for all of these!

us
    Jan 2019
    McClellanville, SC
    Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
    1086 times
    Metal Detecting
    Outstanding hunt and fantastic post. Congratulations on finding a terrific site. Banner in my book!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    XP Deus
    1704 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    WOW WOW WOW all I can say. Congrats on all the spectacular finds. I'm speechless!!!

Don't think I've ever seen such a large amount of quality finds at one site. This belongs at the top! Amazing!!!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2978 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Simply Amazing ,my vote is in Banner for sure.

us
    John

Mar 2014
    Atwater, CA
    At Pro
    803 times
    Stellar finds. Wish my home California had history like that I'd jump for joy with just one of those finds. I appreciate the time and detail put into presenting everything. A whole lot of awesome history there.
    paleomaxx and Noah_D like this.

us
    Rust never rests

Mar 2009
    Sunman Indiana
    Whites XLT MINELAB SE
    3545 times
    Holy cow you hit the jackpot there. Congratulations.
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Feb 2005
    Three Rivers
    Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440, Equinox 600
    2284 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great site,

Thanks for sharing.

Some of the best sites I've come across were not on a map or there was very little sign of a home or no sign at all.

Yeah I agree the iron is probably hiding some nice stuff.

Jer
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Riverbum

Jul 2011
    Colorado
    Whites
    158 times
    Artifacts
    You folks out on the east coast area have it GOOD when it comes to Metal Detecting.........here out west we have to research the spots we hope to find anything. Congratulations those items are a sweet find.
    paleomaxx likes this.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    11194 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Jackpot is an understatement! Wow, what a site. Congrats
    paleomaxx likes this.

Wow this is a banner hunt for sure! Congratulations!!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5230 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    You folks out on the east coast area have it GOOD when it comes to Metal Detecting.........here out west we have to research the spots we hope to find anything. Congratulations those items are a sweet find.
    Trust me, we still have to research to find spots here on the east coast too. I can't even count how many sites I thought would be slam dunks and instead I came away with a bunch of modern trash and a few head stamps.
    Riverbum, ticndig and PullTabPete like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links