Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel much better today and the cold is gone for the most part. Had a few errands to run and saw a farmer plowing a field where I found a silver hammered coin from 1320ish a few years ago so thought I would hit it. Looked good from the road driving by but it was a leg breaker and plowed very deep. Barely got above freezing today, 35F/1C so I was dressed for the occasion. While I was out and about I noticed a few construction sites, one site has the bottom tore out to the original dirt, it was the draw bridge house of the city built in 1250 that was walled. Another site is a barn tear down beside the old weapons factory from the mid 1600s. Missed opportunity as I do not have time for it. Here’s the field I detected today, did the rough plowed leg breaker for about 45 minutes then did the white field to the left, the immediate left of the field that is, LOL, this is not a black and white photo by the way.
16Nov07field.jpg

Here’s the finds. A hollow button and two pieces of copper whatsits.
16Nov07relics.jpg

Obverse of a worn copper coin and a religious pendant. I have found several of these style of pendants, always nice to pull another though!
16Nov07coinmedO.jpg

Reverse of the coin and pendant. If you look close at the coin you can see a single headed eagle with a crown on its head, probably dates from early to mid 1800s. Around the same time period this part of Germany was under Austrian rule/Holy Roman Empire and the coins had double headed eagles with crowns so I doubt this coin is Bavarian.
16Nov07coinmedR.jpg

This is the cannon ball I found back in May 06, It was fired on or about 15 Sept 1704 from a castle under attack at an offensive position. There are at least two more positions to find. I have had it soaking in distilled water since then. I change the water every few months and brush the rust off, the distilled water has removed much of the surface rust and protected it from further corrosion. I also weighed it, 1790 Grams or 3 lbs 15.14 Oz, a 4 pound ball. HH, Mike
14Nov07CBall.jpg

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
You Sir are a real trooper! Glad to hear you are getting well. That cannonball is awesome!
Great looking old pendant too.
Way to go.
-MM-

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannonball is great. Nice find. I see what you mean by leg breaker. My ankles could never take detecting in a field like that.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds and I am dying to see that pendant cleaned up..NICEEEEE

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent finds Mike! That pendant is really cool. I am not looking forward to the snow here at all. It keeps spitting it out ,but nothing is sticking yet.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're definetley a diehard Mike,guess you gotta be over your way.Big congrat's on the cannonball and all the recent find's.Sure wish they could plow the field's like that where I'm hunting but they can only disc it for some reason.Thank's for sharing Mike and HH!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind the cold but those rough ploughed field are really hard work to get anything from, so well done.

I think the right hand copper whatzit is a Late Medieval/Tudor Book hasp, the clasp fixed into the slot. Nice find, I have quite a few clasps but not many hasps :)

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
Hey Mike. I feel like a wimp. I felt sorry for myself detecting last week in Yorkshire, England because the wind was blowing about 35 miles per hour even though skies were fair and the temperature was around 50 Fahrenheit. lol

Great story, as usual and it is good to hear that you are defeating the cold that you had.

Best regards,

Ron
Georgia, USA

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Hey Mike, nice to see you got out again, I´m recovering and it hurts like hell, plus cabin fevers allready set in !!
I had a ploughed field like that a few weeks back, and it really did my back in. Nice finds you got too.
HH Ray

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Geesh Mike,

For a minute I thought you broke your leg... ;) :D

Nick

Me too! :P

Those are some super finds, Mike! That pendant is GREAT! 8)
Thanks for the site pic! Stay warm....

Nana :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always Mike ,outstanding digs.I remember when you had a cannonball on your wish list. ;)

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool FInds as Always Mike

That cannon ball's pretty cool and also knowing when it was used is neat too.

WTG
SgtSki

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! I don't typically hunt rough plowed leg breaker fields but this field had large slabs to walk on, was like detecting on steps, LOL, not as bad as it looks but still a tough field. Hope to do another hunt today. HH, Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted one of those type in Germany and mud kept sticking to my coil.I had to keep a stick with me and every few minutes I would have to scrape five pounds of mud off .That was a back breaker and a leg breaker but still better then being at the house. ;)

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Well Trent, we´ve got lots of mud left over for you when you come back over ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread