Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some here may recall a very nice 1864 IHC I posted here last week. Today I found her younger sister, an 1865, and she cleaned up very nicely too. Just one year apart and both beautiful. :laughing7:

Also found was a 1907 IHC, a small crotal bell, a couple wheat cents as well as few relics that I’m still sorting through.

Attachments

• 8155F0BA-546A-4A08-8A9C-4A7F0BE67E9C.jpeg
    8155F0BA-546A-4A08-8A9C-4A7F0BE67E9C.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 8A891E3C-E354-4B9F-B700-030D5F499749.jpeg
    8A891E3C-E354-4B9F-B700-030D5F499749.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 44
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks TH. Yes I think the metallurgy of the earlier IH cents contributes to their preservation in the soil. I can tell you that I have dug many pitted later IH cents--some even from these same properties. I did dig another 1864 cent recently that did have some pitting and didn't look as nice as these two cents.

One of my all time favorite finds was a IH that looked like it came from the mint right out of the dirt. I think the metal composition is more bronze than copper in the older IH's
I just looked the compositions on some of the older is copper-nickle and copper-bronze and some are just bronze.

Nice finds, nice post, nice pix!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - Thanks for the clarification on your post. I hope you will post more of your finds here as I'm sure you've found some amazing things. For the unfamiliar "Rust Never Sleeps" is the name of a Neil Young album from ca. 1979 or so that I thought you were quoting, but based on what you are telling me it sounds like Neil got it wrong :laughing7:. Thanks again for your post and for teaching me something--I'm now going to looking further into the origins of the "rust never rests" expression.

Erik, I did not want to get your dander up.And since I'm 88 now I don't get out very often ,but I was a hunting machine for years because I worked the 11 to 7 shift ,and was able to hunt early and long. I never posted photos of my finds, but you would be amazed at what those many hours brought up. And further,THE WAY i always read of 'RUST NEVER RESTS WAS THE WAY." Y ou did a super job in displaying your pennies,and they sure look very nice. Congrats.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
So...how are you cleaning those?...Nice finds!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So...how are you cleaning those?...Nice finds!

Hot peroxide bath followed by toothpaste scrub. You wouldn't believe how encrusted the 1864 was before cleaning.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hot peroxide bath followed by toothpaste scrub. You wouldn't believe how encrusted the 1864 was before cleaning.

Nice coppers and they came up nice from the cleaning.
Using HP has proven some really amazing results on some coppers-and others it burnt them black (but they were roached to begin with) I used this 40% HP gel I got from a salon supplier for doing hair.
Just put it in a plastic container out in the sun for the day and then rinse. Many years ago I use to post up the examples of the process but no time to do that now it seems.

Yup right now in life it's a dump on the tail gate kind of guy show.
Getting out to do a hunt is an accomplishment-let alone coming home spending just as much time cleaning/photos/posting up the day.
Well there's no day left for that for myself-and I believe many others also.
Though I tip my hat to you and others that do cut a slice of their valuable time out to clean/photo/post up-because it takes time-and others know and appreciate the efforts.
Well done on the posts and finds.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking sisters

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks pepperj for the tip on the gel (I will definitely try it) and for recognizing the work that goes into a nice presentation of one's finds when it's possible to do so on a busy schedule. I had to take a couple years off from this stuff just to catch up on other things in my life.

Nice coppers and they came up nice from the cleaning.
Using HP has proven some really amazing results on some coppers-and others it burnt them black (but they were roached to begin with) I used this 40% HP gel I got from a salon supplier for doing hair.
Just put it in a plastic container out in the sun for the day and then rinse. Many years ago I use to post up the examples of the process but no time to do that now it seems.

Yup right now in life it's a dump on the tail gate kind of guy show.
Getting out to do a hunt is an accomplishment-let alone coming home spending just as much time cleaning/photos/posting up the day.
Well there's no day left for that for myself-and I believe many others also.
Though I tip my hat to you and others that do cut a slice of their valuable time out to clean/photo/post up-because it takes time-and others know and appreciate the efforts.
Well done on the posts and finds.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and good shape. looks like a god spot keep rippin

Top Member Reactions