ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
road replacement --old brick road found -- bricks marked - graves b ' ham ala

their doing a road rebuilding project here in jacksonville , fla on lenox street --- while taking my neice to her gymnastics class (the road work is in front of it ) I noticed that there were large vitrified red brick road style paving bricks that at one time had been the road -- the current modern asphalt road had simply been built on top of the older brick road with a layer of dirt between the two --the modern current "replacement " program is cutting below both the current asphalt and the old brick road area ---plowing the bricks up and loose --- opening up "virgin" ground that not seen the light of day in the last 95 years -- (I came home and did a bit of internet checking and and found out that the road was one of the first "paved" roads in jacksonville fla --- the graves brick company of birmingham alabama closed down in 1920 and its time frame was 1890 to 1920 --only 30 years but that in those 30 years that it was very active indeed-- making lots of the bricks that were used in many of florida's various brick paved roads before other cheaper road building methods made building brick roads cost prohibitive --the city of jacksonville brick paved the road in question in 1912 --- so for the last 95 years the roadbed area has been covered up (who knows what goodies might lie buried there?) -- I "plucked" a couple "graves b' ham ala" bricks for safe keeping -- the guys will not be working on the road this weekend so I can get free time -- I'll check out the open ground (that way I will not be bothering anyone or in their way in anyway -- anything found will be "saved" items that would otherwize be lost since the paving monster will seal it under for another 50 years or so ------ theres lots of old high quality "paving type bricks" some one could made a heck of a barbeque pit from them --just have to pick them up before the plowed under or taken off to the dump --- tuesday their closing the road to do the work --so time to hop to it ---

opps forgot to add there was a nearby historical battle and the retreating troops most likely took this old road as they retreated --- ;) Ivan

Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Re: road replacement --old brick road found -- bricks marked - graves b ' ham ala

Nice find.
Many would love to have a couple bricks of history.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: road replacement --old brick road found -- bricks marked - graves b ' ham ala

Can't wait to see the coins....they gotta be there.

Good Luck,
SgtSki

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ohhhhhhhhhhh please keep us posted..I love stuff like this... also I have a question... when a construction company ( this is going on here)is building new homes..but theres an existing home, they are making sidewalks ( ya know the intelligent idiots in NJ sidewalks that go nowheres lmao sad but so true) anyways, they tore up part of the street..so my question is..THEY dont own the street...correct???? so I can dig in the street...RIGHT?

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

bootybay said:
ohhhhhhhhhhh please keep us posted..I love stuff like this... also I have a question... when a construction company ( this is going on here)is building new homes..but theres an existing home, they are making sidewalks ( ya know the intelligent idiots in NJ sidewalks that go nowheres lmao sad but so true) anyways, they tore up part of the street..so my question is..THEY dont own the street...correct???? so I can dig in the street...RIGHT?

Asked an officer here that same question when they were replacing the sidewalks here in town. He said It shouldnt be a problem if I get permission from the forman. The forman said "no no I don't want and *&#(@^$ treasure hunters on my project"

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well if you do it in the off hours, (thus out of the way ) making sure not to be in their way or a bother and the locals are cool --why not? --(the roadways as such are "public owned land")--- I mean its just going to be "paved" over and anything there would be lost for what would be at least the next 50 years most likely and most likey never recovered ---( this road was part of the first "paved" road area of jacksonville,fla and the old historical bricks that made it are just being carted off and dumped or reburied under the new road ---so whats the harm ? )-- however check with foreman -- because it might fall under construction zone rules -- thus it could be off limits -- if they say ask the foreman use your head -- bring a dozen doughnutswhen you ask and say you'll do it in the off hours and not be a bother in anyway -- ;)

oh by the way there was a nearby historical battle and the troops most likely used this old road as they retreated did I forget to add that? ;) Ivan

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Re: road replacement --old brick road found -- bricks marked - graves b ' ham

May just be opportunity knocking ;)

Good luck !!!!!!!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck, sounds interesting! HH, Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivan,
Great story. Sounds like you better get in there asap. I hope you find some old coins. Good luck.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread