Incredible Seated Haul--with Civil War, 150+ marbles, and GOLD!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

We knew it was gonna get muddy and dicey around here due to the hurricane, so the week before Hurricane Laura hit, we went into high gear! This video is a compilation of our four most recent hunts.

Day 1 my wife ("Diggergirl") and I got out and happened to notice a new site as we were driving to an old spot. Completely randomly we decided to check it out. A quick eyeball determined that the pottery and glass was the right age for mid-1800s so we wasted no time in getting the detectors out of the truck! The first row I went down, I saw a convex button sticking out of the dirt:

IMG_3897.jpeg IMG_3896.jpeg

The button turned out to be an 1830-40s French Navy "Equipages de Ligne" button. According to the book Le bouton uniforme français these buttons were "worn in silver by commissioners of the navy and administrative officers of the navy."

IMG_3898.jpeg IMG_2831.JPG
After some time had passed, I picked up a holed 1858-O half dime and my wife got an eagle button!! :headbang:

IMG_2825.JPG IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

There's nothing like seeing Seated Silver AND Civil War in the same hunt!

Then out of the blue she dug a piece of gold--which seems to be either the end of a crucifix or the back end of a mechanical pencil. Weight is very heavy at 6 grams, but it may be thin gold around a core of other metal. Low Karat, maybe 8 or 10K. Still pretty though!

62284150432__BE16CFA3-7CF2-4FBC-9539-141EF01136FC.JPG IMG_2799.JPG

So I did what any sensible person would do. I woke up the next day early to go out and dig again!! :laughing7: Met up with my buddy Shangalang this time, and dug until lunch at the place where the 1820s Artillery Shako cap badge shield came up. On my very first row AGAIN I scored a great find. This time it was a blackened 1842 half dime.

IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2809.JPG

Shangalang came up to me to show me some finds, which included a British copper farthing of William IV (1830s)! Then I picked up a really nice eagle cuff button.

IMG_2805.JPG

He got the tip of a silver mechanical pencil which would've looked similar to this non-dug one:

IMG_3945.JPG

Then I got a sweet beep and out popped a BEAUTIFUL 1857 Seated Dime!

IMG_3944.jpeg IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2811.JPG

Shang got worn out, and I was close to worn out...decided to take lunch and sit in some air conditioning and see if I could recover from the heat and gnats. :BangHead:

Afterward I decided to go to scout the surrounding fields from the spot my wife and I'd found together the day before. Sure enough I found another field that was loaded with iron. It seemed to be a work area, and it was full of big iron junk and had a decent amount of shredded aluminum can in it--but I kept at it and close to dark I popped out a coin! Getting down on my hands and knees I could see exactly as it was laying there, that it was my second ever Three Cent Silver!!

IMG_3948.jpeg 62328584550__793FA12A-C49B-4C1B-9D3C-7286E6E24F59.JPG

This one is the only year that was minted in New Orleans: 1851-O! The coin is beautiful--but it suffered in the ground from its 75% silver/25% copper composition that the early trimes were made from. So it is discolored from the iron and copper content. Even so, the details are first rate. After I dug the coin I decided to save the rest of the site to dig with my wife :)

When she and I could go dig again, the conditions were perfect to eyeball hunt (slight moisture for contrast in the ground vs. finds, and long light rays in the morning or evening)... so we decided to start out with a second round of Marble Harvest. I didn't film everything eyeballed this hunt (would've been waaaay too much to show!) but it set a record. In one long shift of eyeballing, before lunch, we amassed 85 marbles from the site! The grand total ended up being over 150 marbles found, along with a jar worth of glass beads (necklace, mardi gras, and rosary), dozens of bottles (few very old, but the wife likes them). I also love the 1880s era pocket watch case which was eyeballed, the sweet plantation token, barrel tap, clay pipe stems, and of course the really cool engineering society pin!

IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2791.JPG IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG IMG_2793.JPG

Also saw a creepy doll head :icon_pale:

IMG_3959.jpg

So near the end of the day we decided to save the rest of the eyeball rows for later and swing our detectors for a while, in the first site we'd found together. I got a cute little 30 VDI on the F75 and got a sweeeeet Louisiana Pelican Cuff Button!!! It's a LA 204-As2 in Tice (Backmark HYDE & GOODRICH / N-O). More scarce and desirable backmark which I hadn't dug on a cuff sized one yet!

IMG_2829.JPG IMG_2830.JPG

We then went to the second field I'd found, where the 3 center came up, and beat it to death with little luck (man, is it full of iron and can!!). I did get a French, mid-1800s religious medallion:

IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2824.JPG

On the slow drive out of the site, I saw a field that had scant signs so guess what we did the next day... We came back to dig the F(*&$K out of it!! :laughing7:

After a brief meet up with Shangalang, we went to try out our newest field. Dug around for 30 mins and Boom!! I dug the first silver. It was a half-cut seated dime that was so worn I thought it was half of a one real!

IMG_3973.jpeg IMG_2821.JPG

Then DG wasn't long in scoring with a sweet seated of her own!

IMG_3974.jpeg IMG_2800.JPG IMG_2801.JPG

I rounded a row and dug a beaten, bent seated half dime with a square nail hole right in the center.

IMG_3976.jpeg IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2828.JPG

Then I got what I thought was a flat button. Careful cleaning when home showed it to be an 1870s Indian. **Please someone tell me it's an 1877!!**

IMG_2817.JPG

Then I decided to expand the area and got a solid 82 on the F75. I WISSSSHHHHHH I'd live dug it!!! Out flopped a Seated Quarter!!!

IMG_3979.jpeg IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2833.JPG

Don't Miss More Photos of Finds in the First Reply Below!

Upvote 43
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more photos of finds, as well as some eyeballed finds that didn't make it into the post above:

IMG_2796.JPG IMG_2804useforpost.JPG IMG_2815useforpost.JPG

IMG_3954.jpeg IMG_3957.jpg IMG_3958.jpeg IMG_3964.jpeg

UPDATE: We went back for a short eyeball and dig. Got a second "Christmas Coke" bottle (first one said Lake Charles LA on the bottom; this one says New Orleans LA). I got skunked but the wife eyeballed a bone die which I am SUPREMELY jealous of! She also dug a PERFECT eagle button in new site #1. :)

IMG_4050.jpeg IMG_4051.jpeg IMG_4052.jpeg IMG_4053.jpeg

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man what a great spot. no doubt you'll be finding plenty more there

Simplex

May 5, 2020
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Nokta Simplex, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! awesome finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow lots of eyeball and detecting finds, congrats to you all.
I guess there's a +-to every storm, it gets you out in the fields.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been very busy...this post is loaded with awesome finds!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome display and post, thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an outstanding hunt or two or three...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That's AWESOME BB!!! Would have made my year!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man what a great spot. no doubt you'll be finding plenty more there

were almost done with site 3, but gonna work a bit more on figuring out site 2 (the three cent spot). We have some rows to do yet on the first spot (eagle, pelican, and French navy buttons spot).

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow lots of eyeball and detecting finds, congrats to you all.
I guess there's a +-to every storm, it gets you out in the fields.

haha yeah that’s one plus. Storms here are mainly minuses though. Glad we got out, and I hope to get out again soon now that it’s dried out again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread