Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Simplex
CTX3030
Vallon VMC1
Vallon VMH3CS
Black Projects
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today while searching an area known to produce Spanish gold I got a solid hit. After digging a crater at least 12" deep, out pops this irregular shaped coin. I can clearly see the "X" and a glimmer of gold...my heart started racing. After rubbing I noticed some irregularities but put it in my pocket so I could clean it properly, deluding myself that it was just encrusted. At home I got a closer look and it was clear I had been duped...it was a fake. I had to chuckle a little. I still find myself pulling it out to inspect again "just to make sure." No matter how hard I try, I can't make lead into gold lol. It was a cruel joke, but I'm sure somebody somewhere is laughing, and maybe a few more now, but I had to share! :tongue3:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 7.36.52 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-15 at 7.36.52 AM.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 17

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen to me to. Way down in a big washout on an Atlantic Beach. Had me fooled good! I kept mine!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a rush that must have been...Sorry it turned out to be a copy.
Welcome to TNet! :hello:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one on a Bermuda beach years ago--it was well encrusted like it was kinda old. When de-calcified you could clearly see the word "copy." :laughing7: I think they sell them in the gift shops and a kid dropped it on the beach.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry it wasn't real, but still a cool find! :occasion14:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try not to be too hard on yourself I have found myself looking at crunched aluminum swearing wait maybe it was a piece of jewelry or something lol

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a heart beat skipper.
Probably a Reale Eight Company Inc. copy seeing as how it may have come from "their" neck of the woods?

Last edited:

Garbonzo

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes its a fake. however is it a fake from the era in which you would find that coinage. i am sure they had their share of counterfitters back then. Also I cannot see someone (espescially a prankster) digging down 12 feet to hide a counterfit coin for someone to find. Just something to think about. HH

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know if you can't make out the word copy it might be an old counterfeit instead and even though it doesn't change that it's not real it makes it more interesting.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the β€œoops” cob coin. Erik in NJ is right, they do sell them at beach shops and at scout camps and other places. At the scout camp the Cub Scouts have a Pirate themed summer camp some years and the kids buy them at the trading post. Of course kids loose all kinds of stuff so I dig them up regularly in the Cub Scout part of camp. I probably have 20 or more of them. Nobody is trying to fool us they are just making money off the kids buying fake coins. Stay safe and keep swingin, there is a real cob coin out there for you somewhere (I have found 2).

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we've all been there... I dug part of a gold plated locket and at first all I saw in the hole was something round and gold. I made up for the disappointment by finding a barber quarter later in the day.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was it in sand or dirt 12" down? The copies at gift shops are usually made of some kind of zinc alloy I believe. Is this one made on lead? As BOTB said, if so and in dirt, it may have been a contemporary counterfeit.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I found my fake coin I sure was pumped up thinkin it was real at first

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me too

Fake cob

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not the first and wont be the last but at least if only for a moment you got that rush. Thats more than alot of us get. Next time it real.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also.......Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread