HUGE BUCKET LISTER FOR THIS SOUTHERN BOY!!!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn’t think it was possible in my five years of doing this hobby I have found a lot of things And for me reales we’re down south because I have found many reales 2 8 reales to capped half dimes even a Guatemalan 1/4 real. And I see through people’s posts and videos that the large cent must’ve not of been down here because I haven’t found one LOL. I know many people find many of them but for me this was a HUGE personal bucket lister. I’ve been going through some personal problems and it seem like the light hasn’t been too bright but I made myself get out of bed and drive an hour to get to my spot I’m on the way I asked God if he would shine a light on me today at least once well I’ll be damn if he didn’t do it. I got out there and I found a War nickel but I found another War nickel Nothing really that gets me excited so I decided to not dig anything that isn’t hitting in every direction I passed on a lot and this particular signal was the same except a dug it. At first I thought it was going to be a 2 Cent which believe it or not would have excited me as much as the LC well the reason why it was only ringing one way was unfortunately a large piece of iron. Under the under the jewelry scope there’s so much definition and a lot of meat on this cent unfortunately the rust corroded it. Through every angle and sunlight I feel pretty sure to say 1838 Matron Head Large Cent.

Any cleaning tips from you guys other than soaking in a little olive oil please feel free to let me know. And without further ado my bucket list IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg

Upvote 45

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!
Reads like a rare bird for you. And now one is part of your menagerie.

Nice to be able to change hats briefly , shift gears and do something unrelated to day to day annoyances sometimes. Note I wrote sometimes , not 24/7 ,l.o.l..

Stay safe. You have quite a site there still. Though one of multiple sites.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!
Reads like a rare bird for you. And now one is part of your menagerie.

Nice to be able to change hats briefly , shift gears and do something unrelated to day to day annoyances sometimes. Note I wrote sometimes , not 24/7 ,l.o.l..

Stay safe. You have quite a site there still. Though one of multiple sites.

I appreciate the kind words relevantchair this site has brought my game up. My banner 1809 Spanish eight reales my 17th century French 8 pound cannon ball and now my first large cent It would’ve been so much better if that piece a iron next to it wouldn’t have soaked it down over 150 years.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your bucket listers Truth. Its always nice to pull a Large Cent.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, CONGRATS! I love LC's. They're beautiful coins.

Now listen, if you haven't soaked that thing in olive oil yet... don't. At least don't do it until you watch this YouTube video on cleaning LC's:

I know your goal is to clean to coin to make it pretty, and you have no intention of selling it. However, cleaning all the dirt off the coin makes it harder to see the details. And soaking in oil makes it so dark you can't see the details either.

Watch that video, and take from it what you will. If you're asking me what I use? A toothpick, or Andre's pencils. They're great for detailing and they really get the dirt off without making the coins look worse.

Here's a LC (with less detail than yours) I used Andre's pencils on, before and after:

lc-before-andres.jpg
lc-after-andres.jpg

Good luck and congrats again!

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Buddy! A coin well deserved! Large cents suck cause they are so cool but often in bad shape best way is to carefully toothpick it .

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, CONGRATS! I love LC's. They're beautiful coins.

Now listen, if you haven't soaked that thing in olive oil yet... don't. At least don't do it until you watch this YouTube video on cleaning LC's:

I know your goal is to clean to coin to make it pretty, and you have no intention of selling it. However, cleaning all the dirt off the coin makes it harder to see the details. And soaking in oil makes it so dark you can't see the details either.

Watch that video, and take from it what you will. If you're asking me what I use? A toothpick, or Andre's pencils. They're great for detailing and they really get the dirt off without making the coins look worse.

Here's a LC (with less detail than yours) I used Andre's pencils on, before and after:

View attachment 1873172
View attachment 1873173

Good luck and congrats again!

I put it in aluminum, salt and vinegar for 30 mins I liked it better with the dark patina. So that means I got to find another one now ugggh :)

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Truth!!!!!!!! Let her dry out a few days before you clean her and I’d stick with the big coil, I think it grabs the signals a little better. Also, try hunting in 2 tone, it forces you to look at every signal. Congrats brother !!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Truth!!!!!!!! Let her dry out a few days before you clean her and I’d stick with the big coil, I think it grabs the signals a little better. Also, try hunting in 2 tone, it forces you to look at every signal. Congrats brother !!

I appreciate the advice brother as a matter fact I’m a go out there tomorrow. I’ve never tried 2 tone If I can do half as good as you do I’ll be happy as hell. I’m watching you brotha you kill it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread