Matching Buckles - how to clean buckle prong?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I haven't found much recently; I've had a bit of a dry spell.
But today I found matching buckles at a house in the historic downtown of my town, and one of them appears to have the prong intact.

First - isn't it weird that I found two matching buckles about 30 feet apart and at different depths? What are the chances, I wonder?

Second, how do I clean the buckle with the prong so that I don't destroy the prong? From looking at it I think that's a "concretion" around the prong; you can see a little piece of almost-pink quartz stuck to the concretion in one of the pictures. I don't want to damage the prong, if it's possible to save it.
Should I soak it in something? Hydrogen peroxide? Vinegar? Just soap and water?

Lastly, is there any way to estimate a date on rather plain buckles like these? I'm guessing they could be from almost any time (much like horseshoes), but if anyone has ideas on estimated age I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

PXRLSZP.jpg oIGmHxW.jpg

m6iHqOj.jpg y9MKFxV.jpg

Upvote 3
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Those iron parts are tough to clean. I have clean similiar looking relics with vinegar, but watching over a few days. The key is to cafefully pick away the rust as it loosens up.
Good Luck on the restoration project.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think there will be a "prong" to save . That concretion has most likely been the result of total absorption of the rusting cycle. I find lots of type B cut nails that look like a glob of rusty nail, but they snap like a pretzel. Cant hurt to try though, maybe a soak in ACV but electrolysis would prove futile if you ask me. If it were forged iron, there is a better chance of conservation. Hope it turns out well:thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckles...Not sure if there's much left of that prong but it never hurts to try!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: I tried to use apple cider vinegar to clean up the prong, and it had some effect but also started eating into the (brass?) buckle itself, so I stopped after about 2 days.
I was left with still a lot of concretion, so I just started using manual methods to try to clear it. I started with a stiff brush but that didn't do much, so I ended up using needle nose pliers to try to get down to the (iron?) prong itself. Ultimately I felt like I was just carving my own prong out of the concretion; as you guys suggested, the prong was basically gone/changed over time (as you described villagenut). And as the "prong" got smaller it broke off, so I just gave up.
Oh well, it was worth a try.

Any guesses at age, or are buckles too hard to figure out because the design hasn't changed much in so long?

- Brian

qvLdgzX.jpg
JuhSkMF.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not think there will be a "prong" to save . That concretion has most likely been the result of total absorption of the rusting cycle. I find lots of type B cut nails that look like a glob of rusty nail, but they snap like a pretzel. Cant hurt to try though, maybe a soak in ACV but electrolysis would prove futile if you ask me. If it were forged iron, there is a better chance of conservation. Hope it turns out well:thumbsup:

Agree. Why did they make so many of the "prongs" (tongue?) out of iron and not the same material as the buckle? i found a small buckle recently with the tongue make of the same material and the buckle is as good today as it was over a hundred years ago or whenever it was lost.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With iron like that, you donโ€™t do anything to it. I know you put it in Apple cider vinegar, but itโ€™s time to count your wins, losses, wins, losses, etc. preserve the brass; electrolysis and other means shall just crumble the iron.

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread