GP 1 - Dix Token 1863 (no MD)

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My grandpa was a coin collector and left my mom and uncle his collection after he died in 1991. Today, I had the opportunity to look through her half of the collection and it is unbelievable. She has a box that is probably 3 feet long by 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep that is filled to the brim with the coins he collected. There are proof set, uncirculated sets, and circulated coins dating back to the early 1800's. I took a bunch of the coins that were old/unusual and am taking the opportunity to share them with the forum in an attempt to determine what some of them are and what they may be worth.

The first coin is a Dix token that is dated 1863. What do you think?

Attachments

• Scan0001-a.jpg
    Scan0001-a.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Scan0003-a.jpg
    Scan0003-a.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0

pinkysbliss

Aug 3, 2007
Tacoma,WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: GP 1 - Dix Token 1863

Sweet, don't think I have ever seen anything like it. My dad has just given me a few coins as well, to bad he kept the one on a key ring, all though it did keep it shinny. I to will be hunting down box's in my dads house he has with coins and paper money in them. Gratz and have fun!

"TR"

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very unusual and interesting coin.WTG

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Going on E-bay right now for 9 dollars. Referred to as a patriotic token..

Attachments

• 360a_2.jpg
    360a_2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 354

jddave79

Aug 22, 2007
Northern,WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Garrett ACE250

Among the most well-known varieties of patriotic tokens are the so-called "Dix tokens." They are named for John Adams Dix, who served as Secretary of the Treasury in 1861. In a letter from Dix to a revenue cutter captain, Lieutenant Caldwell, he orders Caldwell to relieve another cutter captain of his command for refusing an order to transfer from New Orleans to New York. The letter ends with the following sentence: "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." The quote found its way to a number of patriotic tokens, albeit with a slightly modified wording ("haul down" is usually replaced by "tear it down").

HH -JD in WV

OP
OP
W

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
28-Jan-55 Newspaper Article

Found this in the envelope with the coin.

Attachments

• Scan0011-a.jpg
    Scan0011-a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 259

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread