3 Days on the Beans - 4 Hammereds - Very Rare Celtic Silver Unit...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes your a victim of circumstances....
This field was not on the radar, until the the Govt Restrictions dictated that exercise should by done locally, so we looked around & found the closest field just 1 mile away. It should have been planted earlier but the wet conditions pushed it back, & the farmer wanted us on the recently drilled Winter Beans to keep the birds off. Win/Win.
We were last on this field in 2016 & the finds are very spread out & random. (no hotspots, no sites) Therefore, we deployed the very long gridding technique & went the whole width of the field, from the bottom up. With these 3 hunts of just over 15 hrs we still haven't done 10% of the whole field.

14 Scrappies (Roman coins)
Buttons - Livery, Military, 17th C, 2 Tudor
Silver Cuff-link
Victorian Gold plated thingy
2 17th C Spur Buckles
17th C Lead Cap for a Powder Flask
Poor condition Medieval Horse Harness Pendant
Bit of a 6th C Saxon Brooch
Tudor Strap-end
16-17th C Knife Terminal (hammer head style)
2 17th C Leather Mounts
Ancient Bronze Bracelet Bit?
Lead Tokens
4 Hammered - Philip & Mary Groat, Unknown Folded over Penny, Charles I Penny, Charles I Halfpenny with Rose on either side.

Very Rare Tasciovanus Stag Silver Unit circa 20BC-10AD - I found this type once before in 1999. Here is a better example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catuvell...vanus-Stag-Type-Ex-Rare-HHC4248-/324041698772

The first recorded example was in 1984, & when I found mine in 1999 it was the 10th Recorded example. Because it was then unpublished/unlisted, I had to travel to Oxford to get it IDed/Recorded. Since then there has now been a total of 20 Recorded. It was published in the 2010 ABC book & classified as Extremely Rare. You can find one on ebay with that description but I don't like to over egg things so have gone with Very Rare.:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Upvote 48

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 recorded examples is may not extremely rare in the books, but thinking about the possibility finding one sounds extremely rare to me.
What really scares me is that you found two of these 20 recorded.....

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Amazing finds! Lots of relics and beautiful and rare coins! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 recorded examples is may not extremely rare in the books, but thinking about the possibility finding one sounds extremely rare to me.
What really scares me is that you found two of these 20 recorded.....
It was furthest from our mind. We hope for 1 hammered an outing, and maybe a Roman silver if super lucky. We had never recorded a single Celtic object/coin from this field ever, so it didn't even seem a possibility.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done on the gridding of the field. At least it produced some really nice finds over all-congrats on the silvers and especially the Celtic-a real beauty find.
Been on a few where I've walked for an hour without a non-ferrous beep-makes for a real long day.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done on the gridding of the field. At least it produced some really nice finds over all-congrats on the silvers and especially the Celtic-a real beauty find.
Been on a few where I've walked for an hour without a non-ferrous beep-makes for a real long day.
There is a fair amount of junk in this field, mostly coke, lead, iron, so its taking time to cover the area.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rare silver like that must feel so great to find.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy mackerel that is a lot of finds! Looks like you have a new honey hole there, congratulations. I love the Celtic silver!

Steve

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy mackerel that is a lot of finds! Looks like you have a new honey hole there, congratulations. I love the Celtic silver!

Steve
I know it's hard to believe but it's not what we consider a honey hole. It's just a random scatter of finds over a very large area in a field that was always a field going back to the Roman period. (it was within the Roman administrative boundary)
After we have finished with it this year, we are unlikely to return because it's too spread out to be at the top of the list. It may come up again, if many other choices are not available but unlikely.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know it's hard to believe but it's not what we consider a honey hole. It's just a random scatter of finds over a very large area in a field that was always a field going back to the Roman period. (it was within the Roman administrative boundary)
After we have finished with it this year, we are unlikely to return because it's too spread out to be at the top of the list. It may come up again, if many other choices are not available but unlikely.

How many acres is this field actually?
Many believe that the sites they detect are considered big/large in size, but are actually small in size.
The scatter in your area is certainly differs from what we have on this side of the pond in many respects, just the amount of habitation 2/3 hundred vs 2000+yrs.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many believe that the sites they detect are considered big/large in size, but are actually small in size.
The scatter in your area is certainly differs from what we have on this side of the pond in many respects, just the amount of habitation 2/3 hundred vs 2000+yrs.
Not sure, in the 30-40 acres bracket. From what we have GPSed over the years we think that on 20 of those acres we have the light scatter, & the rest next to nothing.

We have some Roman Sites covering a 10 acre scatter (in comparison), most being 2-4 acres.

PS. habitation in this context is not the right word. Habitation was 1 mile away, this is field dumping or field working. (although a close by main Roman Road may play into it)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further to my guess work, that wasn't too far off, here are the accurate figures for the field.
Its 32 acres in total.
We have gridded about 7 acres, so far.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rare silver. Is that a horse on there?
Nope its a stag with an antler, which is clearer on better examples. Thats what makes it more unusual, most Celtic Coins are horses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread