Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The days are coming to a close when big civil war brass can be found, with some exceptions of course and those exceptions are when you find a spot no one else knew about.

I went out with two friends to a pounded site yesterday and we worked a little area we they had hit numerous times in the past. On a whim I decided to head to the aluminum can breeding field and started pulling cans out one after another. All were in parts so it was amusing to say the least.

I started picking up early buttons and some brass. IMG_2392.JPG These are two furniture tacks and brass brad. IMG_2393.JPG Mixed in were three thimbles, part of a spoon handle in pewter and two Civil War period poncho grommets. IMG_2394.JPG A section of what was probably a silver plated pocket watch chain and a .32 Smith and Wesson CW period casing, (no headstamp), IMG_2396.JPG , a piece of brass with several letters stamped on it, I don't know what it is for. IMG_2395.JPG , a folded up piece of brass something and a bullet shot piece of brass, bullet was about .32 caliber due to size of the hole.

I moved up a little ridge and got a solid, small "97" on the Deus. Lots of stuff on old sites in that range are pieces of very old cast iron pot. This signal was "smaller" and hit harder so I dug it. All the others were cast iron. Out pops this really nice 1825 large cent! IMG_2391.JPG I circled around the aluminum can breeding ground again and got a blow your ears off signal. I dug a fair bit as the signal was "odd". Sounded real good, like aluminum cans mating, but...so after a couple minutes of digging the hole wider I spotted something oval and deep green brass! I called Wayne over and I wanted him to get it out to share the excitement - I thought it was a plate and kept repeated to myself "please don't be a spoon"! Well, it wasn't any spoon!

This is the butt plate to an 1853 Enfield rifle in brass. The top tang has been carefully and deliberately bent so the whole thing is flat! IMG_2389.JPG You can see where someone took a small hammer and deliberately made the thing lay flat! So what would it have been used for? CW tongue depressor? Like, no. I think it was re-engineered to what we call today a "shoe horn", or in this case, a boot horn, to help get their boots on easier. This butt cap is much heavier and denser than most CW plates, it's amazing it was missed by everyone who has hunted the spot in the past. Rounding off the day was an eagle button which wil need some care to live, a nice iron buckle and the cool bottle neck. IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2399.JPG If you can guess what the item which is stamped brass with the "A Y " and other letter is, let me know. Maybe off a kerosene or whale oil lamp? Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 44

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Aluminum can breeding ground"...that's funny! I get that way too. I was digging yesterday and got a nice Indian Head penny signal and was thinking...well here is my 10th bottle cap/zinc penny recovery and lo and behold actually found a 1907 IHP!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my first 1825 largie, I hunt sites either older or closer to the CW and nothing after the CW. So I don't get many of these. The Enfield butt plate is my first CW butt plate. I have a complete Brown Bess lock and a side plate to an 18th century musket, and ram rod pieces. but never a butt plate before! Thanks.

Still looking for ideas on the lettered item. I'll clean the button today.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped for a friend.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! I'm still waiting for the day I find a Largie!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET hunt there Smokey!!!! Here in Indiana we get all kinds of Largies but y'all have us on the Earlier Beauts!!!!! CONGRATZ.....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I am using the hf elliptical coil but any machine would have found the butt plate.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat,,I’m glad to see your feeling better,,you have to be in good shape to pull out all these treasures,,I hope I can go look for CW relics some day,,take care

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went a little while today, but Friday's dig caught up to me and I snagged a thorn or something on the bottom of my foot, so...I only got a couple things.

richeysd76

Oct 28, 2013
spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Garrett at pro, fisher f4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I am using the hf elliptical coil but any machine would have found the butt plate.

Congrats on the nice finds.
By the way how do you like that HF coil do you see a difference over the stock coil

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the HF coil better. It seems to hit harder and deeper.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good hunt. Congrats! One of the things I often think about when people mention the conditions they hunt thru is the fact that one of the biggest reasons you're still able to find good stuff is because of all the trash. Most people will cherry pick. Most people want to hunt the easy stuff. They disc out as much as they can. I'm glad when I find trashy areas because of that. You'll dig mucho trash but you'll find mucho finds too if you're willing to slow down, pick thru it, and dig! It's a sure sign you're not lazy Smokey!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! It's interesting to see something different like a butt plate come out of the ground...
...and that 1825 is sweet.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAD NEWS! We were on one of my best permissions today for a short time, and one buddy dug a gold coin, the other a seated quarter and all I got were some CS gardiner bullets! BUT...the other friend found two PRIVIES toward the end of the day (I KNEW we were missing something in that field, and we still can't find the house, it may be under the ROAD, OR they were CW privies), and due to social distancing I will be digging them on Tuesday! I KNEW KNEW KNEW KNEW we were missing something! Cat's intuition! I'm going up tomorrow to look at some of the broken ceramics and bottles that they left near a tree to date the site and mark the privies on GPS. I'm sure they will post their finds. Buddy #1 said it was his best digging day ever. I had to go home early :(

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Aluminum can breeding ground"...that's funny! I get that way too. I was digging yesterday and got a nice Indian Head penny signal and was thinking...well here is my 10th bottle cap/zinc penny recovery and lo and behold actually found a 1907 IHP!

LOL... that is a great saying! Up here in Michigan, we have what is called an "Aluminum Hatch"! It happens on our trout streams and is similar to a mayfly hatch but actually refers to the massive quantity of aluminum cans thrown into the river once they are empty! Congrats Smokey on the great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread