Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these 2 buckles on a colonial field system
delighted shoe one is intact

the other I am curious has Silver plating and faceted but not curved like a shoe buckle, could it be a Hat buckle?

going back to find missing bit

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5936.jpg

IMG_5934.jpg

Upvote 21

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the buckle your asking about had an off-set bar it went on a fairly thick bit of leather. Normally this points towards a horse harness buckle but in this case I'm stumped.

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, me too ,
the offset bar is very unusual, Thats why I was thinking hat buckle

the funny thing is I had the missing piece, it was right beside the pice when I extracted it from the ground, i put both in my pocket and cannot for the life of me find it,

so I went back today to see of I let it drop near the hole

and 2ft away I dug a silver Trime 16" deep with my 15" coil on equinox , the signal was like Iron on and off good and crappy, but since I was looking for the missing part of buckle I persevered,, good job I did, I have to soaking will post soon

don't have the the buckle complete but have finally found the smallest US silver issue. sometimes it take a loss for gain, I would never have kept going on the that signal

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, me too ,
the offset bar is very unusual, Thats why I was thinking hat buckle

the funny thing is I had the missing piece, it was right beside the pice when I extracted it from the ground, i put both in my pocket and cannot for the life of me find it,

so I went back today to see of I let it drop near the hole

and 2ft away I dug a silver Trime 16" deep with my 15" coil on equinox , the signal was like Iron on and off good and crappy, but since I was looking for the missing part of buckle I persevered,, good job I did, I have to soaking will post soon

don't have the the buckle complete but have finally found the smallest US silver issue. sometimes it take a loss for gain, I would never have kept going on the that signal
But its also a lesson on iffy signals that I always dig. Had many of my best finds that way.

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impressed with the buckles and the trime but I think I'm more impressed that your detector can locate a small coin at 16". Wow. I've got Equinox 600 with stock coil. The deepest coin I've found so far was about 10".

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm impressed with the buckles and the trime but I think I'm more impressed that your detector can locate a small coin at 16". Wow. I've got Equinox 600 with stock coil. The deepest coin I've found so far was about 10".

That must be 16" on the "fisherman's ruler" :laughing7: or there was a huge piece of iron down there too that the machine was hitting on. I'm getting the same depth as you with with my 800 and have been using Minelabs now for over 20 years.

Great buckles and congrats on that trime. Hope you find the remaining piece of the buckle and never put finds in your pockets. I use small clear zip bags for my good finds and a Home Depot bucket for the "junk."

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice double buckle hunt and a Trime to sweeten the deal! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Wild Colonial Boy

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You all for your input

here's a few snaps of the 3 cent, I have just read they take a while to clean but it appears to 1851 and in decent shape, once the black comes off

View attachment 1881506

View attachment 1881509

regarding the depth, again i got done my hole was about 18" wide and 20" deep, and i had a sweat going, when I gave up the first time my pin pointer was below the surface and with no beeps

it was only when I went back back and decided to give it another go

I dug deeper again the depth of my spade and i found the little thing in the new spoils, so it was deep and the signal was always just one way

still no sign of buckle bit, i forgot to bring my plastic box and emptied my pocket in the car, so maybe its in the floor under the seat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread