Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little story on the 1st one, a huge honker, probably tungsten.
I sold a friend on mine my Ace 400 [big mistake, going to get another as soon as I can find one for around $200]. Anyhow I took him with me to the beach to give him some pointers on its use, within a minute got this screaming signal, dug it up and at first I thought it was a bottecap. Sand fell out of the middle and turned out to be a ring, my friend [who is sorta like a son to me] was amazed. Must have been a chunky guy who lost it, I take an 11 and this thing is lose on my thumb, at least 1 13 or 14.

Ended up finding an aged looked silver ring and a tiny 14k gold ring, unfortunately lost by a very little girl. My friend also found a nice .925 ring on his own, made his day.

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 20

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on you for helping a newbie do it right!:occasion14:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know why my pics are so foggy lately, must be due to clean the lens hopefully, I do work in some dusty conditions often.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great ring day! The 400 is doing well...

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
400 IMO is the perfect beach hunter. You may not find tiny earrings 11" down but any ring 7" or less, which the vast majority are, speak loud and clear when you pass over them.

Of course, any detector could have and should have found this ring, it was huge and shallow. What I like most about the 400 is its superior recovery speed and its sheer simplicity. [Other 2 rings btw I found with my Simplex]

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally cleaned my lens, I think the results are much better than the OP

Attachments

• IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottlecaps are a sad fact of life for us all, every one of them could have been a ring because they tend to ring up in the same ranges.

At a beach, I look at them as helpful clues that no one has detected that area recently, as most of us [if not all] take them with us, mainly for the obvious reason of so that you don't keep finding the same junk. I know a beach that you rarely ever will find a bottlecap, clad or anything metal, first time I went there [and its a 70 mile round trip for me so I don't go often] I suspected it was being regularly pounded by locals. I talked to a guy there that asked me if I had any luck, he lives around there and goes to the beach often, I said nope nothing, I think someone sweeps this beach often. He told me indeed, at least 4 couples sweep the beach early in the morning and towards the evening every single day.

Pretty big beach so I still try occasionally, and have found a few rings that must have been very recent drops I got to before their detecting shifts. But I try to look at bottlecaps/pulltabs as clues that yes, there has been human activity here and no, no one else has swung their coil here recently.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread