On the Beans - Day 5 - Silver Streak Ends...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As they say, all good things must come to an end, & today was it. We tried for 5.5 hours to get just 1 silver of any description but it never came. Hopefully next time, although, as it will be a mostly solo hunt by myself, it's a long shot.

9 Scrappies (pretty good for this field)
19th C Barrel Tap Key
WWI ESSEX Shoulder/Lapel Badge
2 Cloth Seals
Tudor Book Clasp
Roman Snake Head Terminal to a Bracelet
Roman Fibula Top
2 Lead Tokens
Bits...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 25

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good finds as always! What is the thing in the fourth picture with 1420 on it?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The WW1 Essex lapel badge is quite interesting.
Perhaps you needed to shout out your silver...:)
Maybe, but thats not how it works, I think you need to feel it.:laughing9:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were busy... :thumbsup:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you explain before that those lead tokens were medieval "communion" tokens or something like that? Could you explain again what you think they are? Seems like you've been finding a good number of them lately, thanks for sharing I hope your Silver streak starts up soon again!
Edit: regarding that lead donut/washer lookin' piece, have you ever found Roman lead votive mirrors? I recall reading about a Roman English shrine site where dozens were found. Doesn't quite look like the standard ones but they were made in a variety of sizes and styles, I've collected some cool ones with embossed inscriptions from the Balkans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you explain before that those lead tokens were medieval "communion" tokens or something like that? Could you explain again what you think they are? Seems like you've been finding a good number of them lately, thanks for sharing I hope your Silver streak starts up soon again!
We found a lot more Lead Tokens this year than usual as we have been gridding fields close to my Town, which were heavily farmed/worked.
These tokens range from Medieval to mid-19th C. The left one in this post which is a unifaced token with RG is a good example of an 18th C type. These are largely under-studied & somewhat of a forgot history, because there many uses have not been properly documented.
Some served as a kind of limited currency and were produced by shops as small change.
Some were pickers tokens, given to workers for a sack of potato's, for example, you got paid at the end of the day for the number of tokens you handed in.(17th C pickers of hops for example getting 1 penny per bushel) Or for labourers doing plough work.
There are Boy Bishop tokens (but not in my area)
Most in the 17th-18th C were tradesmen's tokens which had the initials of the baker or chandler for example.
Shycock tokens - interesting read
Mill tokens
Pubs/Inn tokens
etc...etc....

PS. There were some communion types, but I don't tend to get them.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful explanation Cru thanks for giving me some interesting research homework! At least in preindustrial times lead was relatively more valuable than it is today so I can definitely see the practicality of using it as "limited currency". The embossed Roman lead ingots produced there were incredible, and it may be strange but roman bronze water valves and plumbum plumbing artifacts are pretty amazing, I'd love to get my hands on some.

FIgure_5.jpeg

_89816388_89816386.jpg

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful explanation Cru thanks for giving me some interesting research homework! At least in preindustrial times lead was relatively more valuable than it is today so I can definitely see the practicality of using it as "limited currency". The embossed Roman lead ingots produced there were incredible, and it may be strange but roman bronze water valves and plumbum plumbing artifacts are pretty amazing, I'd love to get my hands on some.

View attachment 1882125

View attachment 1882126
One theory:
In the 17th C when they first started producing copper farthings (the only small Regal change) they had problems with counterfeiting, so if a baker for example stopped taking small change, the Lead Tokens they produced were still acceptable. So some of it was a confidence issue. Regal counterfeits, no value, local bakers tokens brought you bread.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. It's very strange that you find a lot of buttons! I can barely remember that o have found a button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread