Joined a New Club This Weekend - Admission Fee: $1 Dollar!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Privileged to get another invite to one of Smokey's various incredible relic site permissions this weekend and boy am I thankful I did not turn it down (but that was really never in question). Turned out to be a great relic day and one of the best single day hauls for me ever. The Deus could do no wrong and the freshly harvested field had plenty of goodies churned up relatively shallow and well in range of the 11" x35 coil. Was using a Deus fast variant with Pitch tones and frequency at 12 khz. All in all I snagged close to 40 relic keepers over the course of the day. Minie and round balls, a pistol bullet, and other lead blobs, brass buckles and suspender clips, a tiny flower button, a flattened Eagle Button and the face of a New York State regimental button. A few flat buttons and some miscellaneous brass odds and ends. Overall it was a spectacular hunt and I enjoyed every minute of it. Here's a pic of the entire day's haul:

20201122_163334.jpg

As great as that was, I forgot to mention the capper - and that's where the $1 club membership comes in:

Center of the above pic- fourth keeper target of the day:

20201122_163338.jpg

Less than an inch down, thought it could be a button but likely can slaw due to the lowish target ID of 45 - 47. Popped it with the pinpointer and out popped the glint of a gold disk. I knew what it was straight away.

20201122_103516.jpg

Smokey saw I had a target and yelled over "What did ya get" and I said matter of factly - "A Gold Coin". Smokey then said, what did you really get...

That's right - bucket list city, I joined the Gold Coin club with an 1849 Open Wreath $1 Gold Piece. It was surreal. Took the pic below with shaky hands, texted it to Smokey for proof, then dropped my detector, digger, and shovel right there and schlepped back to the truck to stow it away for safe keeping and ultimately continued on with the hunt. At that point the Deus really caught fire and the relics were jumping onto the coil. I swear that I probably could have shut off the Deus and it would still hit targets like a divining rod.

20201122_103802.jpg

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone and despite the dumpster fire that is 2020, seems there are a few bright spots to remember and be thankful for, nevertheless. Happy and Safe Hunting everyone.

20201122_194657.jpg 20201122_195512 (2).jpg

Upvote 101

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATZ V!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Dang!! How many of those have I walked over when their coming in at 45-47??? Banner vote... CHECK!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were joking as we were just making jokes about gold coins, and mimicking aquachigger who always goes on quite hilariously about a "gold coin" on that next signal. When I asked how it read and you said in the 40's I thought to myself, I would not have dug that one! It might have read higher on the HF I have been using, 74khz, I think it would have shown in the 60's there and it would have been dug. That one little section you were in has a lot of just plain junk in it. Later on in the day we found a privy to the house which we STILL can't find.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you were joking as we were just making jokes about gold coins, and mimicking aquachigger who always goes on quite hilariously about a "gold coin" on that next signal. When I asked how it read and you said in the 40's I thought to myself, I would not have dug that one! It might have read higher on the HF I have been using, 74khz, I think it would have shown in the 60's there and it would have been dug. That one little section you were in has a lot of just plain junk in it. Later on in the day we found a privy to the house which we STILL can't find.

I know, we were just talking about how I'm always the one who shows up second at the spot right after the gold coin is recovered. Finally, I got there first! I was digging every repeatable non-ferrous zip, from foil to gold, aluminum blob to button, mason jar lid to buckle, shotgun shell to minie ball. At the time I was running 12 khz which is unusual for me as I like 28 khz, but wanted to maximize depth early on until I had the targets dialed in. A pinpointer on a stick literally would have sounded off on that coin. Dunno how it has survived the plow at that depth. Very high keeper to junk ratio on that day. Don't think I will see another like it anytime soon. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to snag that coin and all the other keepers.. Good luck on that privy, someday you'll figure out where the house is and where the real treasure is buried. Lol.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, we were just talking about how I'm always the one who shows up second at the spot right after the gold coin is recovered. Finally, I got there first! I was digging every repeatable non-ferrous zip, from foil to gold, aluminum blob to button, mason jar lid to buckle, shotgun shell to minie ball. At the time I was running 12 khz which is unusual for me as I like 28 khz, but wanted to maximize depth early on until I had the targets dialed in. A pinpointer on a stick literally would have sounded off on that coin. Dunno how it has survived the plow at that depth. Very high keeper to junk ratio on that day. Don't think I will see another like it anytime soon. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to snag that coin and all the other keepers.. Good luck on that privy, someday you'll figure out where the house is and where the real treasure is buried. Lol.

I as well run at 28khz with the 9" round in Pitch at 603. What do you think the #'s would fall in at?

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably high 50's.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome. Those civil war sites are the best place for finding a gold $1

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome find! You’re one of the most knowledgeable and helpful members on the forum; that coin is indeed well deserved! I’ll admit that depending on the site, I might have left that one behind...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Survived the plow? Really? It would have just been pushed out of the way. Now the butt plate to the Enfield I got a few days ago, how did THAT survive the plow?

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Survived the plow? Really? It would have just been pushed out of the way. Now the butt plate to the Enfield I got a few days ago, how did THAT survive the plow?

Well, guess I'm just a dumb city dweller. The real question is how did it survive my wayward digger.

I guess the rifle sacrificed itself to save the butt plate.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one spot you were digging is SO trashy, it's no wonder it was still there. First the soil is so hot, Satan would be afraid of it. And that was one of the trash places the contractors used to dump and burn trash from the new house that is on the site. AND it is only 10' or so from the ancient roadbed, and 30' from where the one vehicle exploded years and years ago, we're still digging pieces of it up. We dug up a freaking starter motor with windings and spindle less than 3' from where you got that coin. And we missed that for 2 years or more! Plus, I think the Union soldiers were gambling on that little spot.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It WAS a mess over there. I bet if it was an inch deeper it would have blended into the noise muck, especially since I was running at 12 khz. Coke chunks were sounding off in the 30's. I really was lucky to find it with a larger, non-HF coil.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner all day V!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never join a club that would have me as a member!

Very nice find...I guess that's the last time he'll invite you to one of his permissions. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread