Winter Stubble + Sewage Site - Day 2 - Stunning ROMAN SILVER...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we thought we might get rained off (only light showers in the end), we started on the Sewage Site (Roman) first. On the way to the field we both felt like we were going to have a good day, but without predicting what.
I got all of the Roman Bronze coins (12), but after about 9/0, I joked with Cru'dad ''You can join in anytime you like?''. He replied jokingly ''I'm saving it up for a nice Roman Silver. No points for guessing who found the 13th coin.:laughing7: It came out as clean as pictured!
We have only ever had 1 Roman Silver from this field, so this ankle breaker has brought up some good stuff.
So we did 3 hours on this field with:
12 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman Lead Steel-Yard Weight
Broken 1st C Fibula
Nice 2nd C Plate Brooch (I think my first of this variant)8-)
Roman Silver Siliqua of Julian II, circa AD360s.:icon_thumright:

After lunch we did 2.5 hrs on the Stubble next door.
Large 16-17th C Lead Trade Weight (not had this heart type!)
Lead Token
Bits...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 41
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does sewage mean the same in UK as it does in the US?
Yes, we named the Site after a nearby modern Sewage Works. If we can't name it by its finds or other means, we name it by nearby features, like the Copse Field. I'm sure you can understand that when you have discovered close to 50 Roman Sites, it gets hard to have conversations with the team, if they don't have names.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning. You must have an awesome collection of coins and artifacts by now; probably could start your own museum. Congratulations!
For me, it's all about the collection/History not it's Β£, I'm been collecting since I was 9 but instead of digging in bric-a-brac shops or coin shops, I dig them free out of the ground. Win/Win for a collector. I don't buy very much at the moment, as I collect modern UK coinage from 1600s-1967 & have most dates for denominations Shilling & below. All the really rare dates I now need are now mostly out of my price range.
Anytime I get a coin from any period I need, it's still exciting.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That, my friend, is a STUNNING Roman!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean about being clipped. I did notice that Cru'dad got that silver also. :)
Yeah, must be his field for Roman Silvers because those are the only 2 so far. Must be my turn....

However, before our landowner brought this field, there were a bunch of resident detectorist, so no idea what they had, other than some bronzes. Although I did hear of 1 Celtic Gold Stater, we have only had 2 Celtic Silver, so far. (very spread out, random, no-where near the gold) We also know that there was 1 small patch of Roman coins they never found. This is where gridding as a team makes the difference. If you have your mates with you (and that is fun), it's more a competition, who can gets it first. Our only competition is with time available & the field conditions/weather conditions.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , So after the covid restrictions are lifted , I can fill in an application to gain passes to the public tours conducted at this facility . Sewage Works is not something you find on every corner now is it ? Secret and the smell travels for miles :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, must be his field for Roman Silvers because those are the only 2 so far. Must be my turn....

However, before our landowner brought this field, there were a bunch of resident detectorist, so no idea what they had, other than some bronzes. Although I did hear of 1 Celtic Gold Stater, we have only had 2 Celtic Silver, so far. (very spread out, random, no-where near the gold) We also know that there was 1 small patch of Roman coins they never found. This is where gridding as a team makes the difference. If you have your mates with you (and that is fun), it's more a competition, who can gets it first. Our only competition is with time available & the field conditions/weather conditions.

You're certainly right about the "time" factor in the equation of conditions of a field.
From ankle breaker to Ballard table conditions jack hammer hard to butter soft, the rook hard clumps, to soft loamy, to the sticky.
Throw in the planting/harvesting schedules, can dig after its drilled to not after it starts to show.
Really it's a game of hop-skip-jump detecting.
But when everything aligns up-nothing can beat it, that's for sure.
Best of luck on the next outing.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're certainly right about the "time" factor in the equation of conditions of a field.
From ankle breaker to Ballard table conditions jack hammer hard to butter soft, the rook hard clumps, to soft loamy, to the sticky.
Throw in the planting/harvesting schedules, can dig after its drilled to not after it starts to show.
Really it's a game of hop-skip-jump detecting.
But when everything aligns up-nothing can beat it, that's for sure.
Best of luck on the next outing.
You got that right the art of tracking crop rotations & deep ploughs are the secret & when you have over 700 fields to watch its nearly a full time job. Glad Cru'dad is retired, he makes a job out of it. An important part of the team.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got that right the art of tracking crop rotations & deep ploughs are the secret & when you have over 700 fields to watch its nearly a full time job. Glad Cru'dad is retired, he makes a job out of it. An important part of the team.
700 fields!?!? Wow that is a full time job. I have about 4 or 5 that can still produce something :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
700 fields!?!? Wow that is a full time job. I have about 4 or 5 that can still produce something :icon_scratch:
Should have made it clearer. We have permission on over 700 fields. We have about 50 Roman Sites to keep an eye on plus maybe another 20 we have discovered are worth detecting. We have probably crossed off quite a few now that we don't need to do, which still leaves many we have either never tried, or need to try again to cross off.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice finds. I have a couple of those hearts, but did not know they are lead weights!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice finds. I have a couple of those hearts, but did not know they are lead weights!
Yeap, 100%, a fairly scarce type, most are shield shaped.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMPORTANT ID UPDATE:

Thanks to our, but mostly Cru'dad's good record keeping, we can now update our GPS records with an ID of an object I found about a year ago. It's important that rare objects like this retain their provenance & that we can start to understand what the context was & the type of Site it came from.
It's a very RARE object & for some reason I find hard to explain, I suddenly had a brain jolt (I surprise myself sometimes with retaining images from books I looked at years ago! Shame I couldn't apply this to my less than average study results...lol) that I had seen the below fragment (we call them partifacts) on a TV show about Ancient Mysteries.
We had logged it as;
''Mystery Roman knobbed partifact''

The item has been named as a Dodecahedron. It's function is unknown:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

Although one theory is:
https://ancientworldsmanchester.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/dodecahedron-mystery-solved/

I'm glad we put another mystery to bed, I hate not knowing what things are, hence my growing knowledge bank.:headbang:

As Cru'dad stated in my most recent correspondence; ''the system works''.

Attachments

• Dodecahedron.JPG
    Dodecahedron.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 22

Rydog

Aug 29, 2012
Idaho
Good to hear you can get out again. Guess the leg/knee is doing better?

Oops, guess this is an old post.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As we thought we might get rained off (only light showers in the end), we started on the Sewage Site (Roman) first. On the way to the field we both felt like we were going to have a good day, but without predicting what.
I got all of the Roman Bronze coins (12), but after about 9/0, I joked with Cru'dad ''You can join in anytime you like?''. He replied jokingly ''I'm saving it up for a nice Roman Silver. No points for guessing who found the 13th coin.:laughing7: It came out as clean as pictured!
We have only ever had 1 Roman Silver from this field, so this ankle breaker has brought up some good stuff.
So we did 3 hours on this field with:
12 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman Lead Steel-Yard Weight
Broken 1st C Fibula
Nice 2nd C Plate Brooch (I think my first of this variant)8-)
Roman Silver Siliqua of Julian II, circa AD360s.:icon_thumright:

After lunch we did 2.5 hrs on the Stubble next door.
Large 16-17th C Lead Trade Weight (not had this heart type!)
Lead Token
Bits...
Awesome as Usual !!! Sweet Coins!!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear you can get out again. Guess the leg/knee is doing better?

Oops, guess this is an old post.
It's a year old, but I needed to set the record straight with an updated ID. Sadly, you can't update the first post anymore, so it gets buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread