Dug a water buffalo..and calling all Rhode Islanders!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skipped work and detected the beach. Dug this 1937 Buffalo Nickel right along the low tide line, but not quite in the water. Other than that, it was nothing but mostly corroded clad. Unsatisfied, I hit the town woods on the way home where there once was an old farm. Found this interesting token for the Mechanics store in Providence, RI. My 80 something year old in-laws are from RI, but don't remember that store. Anyone familiar with this store or the token? I'm guessing 1940s or 1950s. Also found this neat whistle marked THE Metropolitan, Made in England. I have no idea how old it is, but it still sounds great. It is very similar to the whistles made famous by the British Bobbies, but I think this is a general service whistle since it has no police markings. Also dug my first dated buckle sheild, patent 1879. Rounding out the keepers was a brooch-like item with an image of a knight holding a sword and shield. I can't see any trace of where the pin was, so I'm not exactly sure what it is. It is slightly bent, which is a bummer, as I think it is a cool item. Thanks for checking out my post. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• 20201204_175155.jpg
    20201204_175155.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201204_175036.jpg
    20201204_175036.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201204_180014.jpg
    20201204_180014.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Upvote 23

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a nice assortment for sure. That token is awesome! I went to college in R.I. But never heard of that store nor am I that old ( yet). Is that whistle sterling? I saw one dug marked sterling not too long ago. Great job!!
PS. After tomorrow’s ******* snow storm we’ll all be hunting the beach unfortunately

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a nice assortment for sure. That token is awesome! I went to college in R.I. But never heard of that store nor am I that old ( yet). Is that whistle sterling? I saw one dug marked sterling not too long ago. Great job!!
PS. After tomorrow’s ******* snow storm we’ll all be hunting the beach unfortunately

Thanks, Joe Dirt. I can't find any record of that store, but fifty cents off a suit sure suggests this must be old. No Sterling marks on the whistle, but I'll check again. Yeah weather looks crappy.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Cool token!!! The rest of Your finds are Nice too!!! Congrats!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds - continued good luck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool token you recovered and whistle.
There might be more info on the token from this entry on the link as it has a few of the same.
Display Token Records - All States

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds Lenmac- Congrats! I worked on Westminster St. back in the early 80's, and drove all over the city but don't recall that store.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever dig a pony? :laughing7:

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: I was gonna say...usually if someone screws with a water Buffalo they’re not around any more to tell about it...

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! My guess is that the whistle is modern. Some dog handlers / trainers use them.
dts

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool token you recovered and whistle.
There might be more info on the token from this entry on the link as it has a few of the same.
Display Token Records - All States

Thank you for that link. It seems to have my exact token, though it is doesn't show a date. I will look at that website closer to see if I can get more information. Thanks for taking the time to share that resource, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds Lenmac- Congrats! I worked on Westminster St. back in the early 80's, and drove all over the city but don't recall that store.

Thanks for your insight. Westminster Street is a prominent street in Providence, as I recall. Must have been a popular store, but surely closed a long time ago given the lack of references to it. If this virus ever clears, I'm sure I could find information in old city directories at the library.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! My guess is that the whistle is modern. Some dog handlers / trainers use them.
dts

Thanks. I was thinking it might have something to do with dogs and hunting too. As for age, it probably is on the more modern side; however, it might be older than you think, especially where it says Made in England. Everything is made in China nowadays, unfortunately. Also, the area where I found it was overgrown for many years and largely impassable. I was only able to detect as they recently cleared it for construction. I was thinking 1950s or 1960s, which I suppose is still modern. Would like it to be older, of course, but without a company name or any other markings, I have no clues to go by. Oh well..

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. If I did, I think I would let it be.

I've got a feeling that you'd dig it. :tongue3:

Having said that--nice bunch of finds there from the woods! I'd say the token is much older than the 40s or 50s and so is the whistle by the shape of the attachment loop. I'm guessing 1900-1920. No clue on the other item, but it's very cool. If heated right you might be able to straighten it out and it would display very nicely. Good job brother.

Last edited:

DTW

Greenie
Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

@Joe Dirt, where di you attend college in RI?

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a feeling that you'd dig it. :tongue3:

Having said that--nice bunch of finds there from the woods! I'd say the token is much older than the 40s or 50s and so is the whistle by the shape of the attachment loop. I'm guessing 1900-1920. No clue on the other item, but it's very cool. If heated right you might be able to straighten it out and it would display very nicely. Good job brother.

Thanks! I am totally guessing on the token. My father told me he bought his first suit in 1954 when he began teaching and paid about $40. I thought 50 cents off might be right for that time period. However, I don't know how common tokens were then, so it probably is older. The whistle does strike me as old, and 1900 to 1920 seems reasonable. Maybe I will do some more research. This location has produced finds from a range of time periods. Though I have not found a lot of coins there, the earliest was a KGII. Can't wait to "get back" there .. sorry.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice token and always great to find whistles (and bells) that still make a sound!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread